Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Anyone gone back from large to smaller screen?!

Ugg! I think I must just be an old fogy now! I took the plunge and bought a nice big (bigger that is!) screen and now I'm sittin' here wondering why! Having used it for 24h now, I can say the only reason to move from 1650x1080 for 1920x1200 is so I can . . . move the 24" screen farther away from my eyes! I'll give it another few days and see if I can tell why the trend has been for simmers to move to bigger. I guess it probably has to do w/ cockpit layout more than anything. But for guys like me who just have a yoke and one screen, I'm not seeing it! Just means it takes more video (and maybe a little CPU) horsepower to run it. I think the multi-monitor approach probably really makes the most sense, where you really can begin to get more wrap around going. Larger just doesn't seem to me to add anything, once you're up to a reasonable size in the first place. I bought this guy as a way to test this, plus my spouse really needs the new display as she is still on a huge old Sony CRT and it's really fuzzy!Ugg!Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Nah, not me! The bigger the better, providing that it is not overly bright, making it hard on the eyes. My 42 inch LCD is just about right for me size and brightness wise, so I would never want to go back to anything smaller. To me that would just reduce the realism too much. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/300591-pictures-of-our-fsx-computers/page__view__findpost__p__1929911Kind regards,

Nah, not me! The bigger the better, providing that it is not overly bright, making it hard on the eyes. My 42 inch LCD is just about right for me size and brightness wise, so I would never want to go back to anything smaller. To me that would just reduce the realism too much.http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1929911Kind regards,
Ahh, so for you it's increased realism. OK, I'll see if that begins to become apparent!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hello,I have looked at the MCP combo to Gelehgt, but I do not come with clear installation?When he says to me FSUIPS Linda and Linda port numbers do not matchIn FSX / configs FSUIPS↑ FSUIPC files do not like!I'm already a week about this and Verzweilfe slowly.If I am on Hielfe server offers.Michael Greetings from Berlin.

Nah, not me! The bigger the better, providing that it is not overly bright, making it hard on the eyes. My 42 inch LCD is just about right for me size and brightness wise, so I would never want to go back to anything smaller. To me that would just reduce the realism too much.http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1929911Kind regards,
Please pardon me Noel. I meant to say 40 inch, not 42. blush.png

Im using a 40inch samsung lcd tv. More immersive because of size, but aa is more of a problem and its not quite as crisp as a norma computer monitor.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Amazing! It's still not so obvious to me how the larger screen is really the no-brainer it appears to be here. I guess so far the main benefit is that 2D popups like ATC will now take up a smaller portion of the screen. That's barely compelling enough! I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see if I like it enough. I believe the other screen at 1650 x 1080 was generally better looking. I think that is because relative to it's size it is relatively farther away, which helps w/ softening any pixelation that is more apparent, even at 1920x1200. I'll try moving it another 3-4" away and see how that goes.

Noel

I recently upgraded from a 22" lcd running at 1680x1050, to a 24" backlit led, running at 1920x1080. Not a big change as far as size goes, but it certainly looks better to me, I like the slightly larger screen and it certainly does not seem to be too big to me.But, I am using my 22" as a secondary monitor, and extend my desktop across it. I really like having that extra real estate, plus I fly FSX in full screen mode, and put my atc window, gps, radio stack, kneeboard - on that secondary monitor, having them out of the way of my main screen, leaving my main monitor showing the VC clean and unobstructed.

Anyone running an lcd tv and annoyed by the antialiasing? For me, thats the big downside. Id miss the size though if i went back to a monitor.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I "upgraded" , well not really from a 20" 1680*1050 Samsung monitor to a 23" 1980*1080 SamsungThought for a bit that this seemed to be a minor upgrade ( not like i was upgrading to a 27" or higher)however was money well spentThe Samsung SA300 23" LED monitor is the one i purchased.my old monitor has major issues when flying dawn and dusk . Major color "banding" sort of like you were running 16 bit resolution. Ground textures would look washed out and blurry at dawn/dusk also too. Tried changing drivers , changing video card settings , brightness/contrast, etc. - no avail. When you also looked at the sky, it looked like you had major ghosting ( even though the monitor was 2ms) the new monitor ( might be the increased resolution) looks amazing at dawn and dusk with great color blending with minimal "color banding" .Ground textures during dawn/dusk blending looks awesome too! Another thing which is nice is i notice less shimmering than my old one ( and i only use maximum 8xS AA in Nvidia Inspector), With ENB installed , I see no FPS loss from going to the increased resolution ( with the GTX 460 1GB).

...abandoned, 3 X 22" 1680X1050, in favor of 42" Plasma, & 1 15" Widscreen 1366X768 for some of my instruments, though, I lost some width, but gain lot of realism, and about 15% in FPS ...... I 'll never look backYair

Anyone running an lcd tv and annoyed by the antialiasing? For me, thats the big downside. Id miss the size though if i went back to a monitor.
Yep! Its driving me nuts. I have a 42" LCD and in spot view the jaggies are much worse than they are on my 19" lcd monitor.

Yep! Its driving me nuts. I have a 42" LCD and in spot view the jaggies are much worse than they are on my 19" lcd monitor.
I agree. I've been using a 32" 1080p lcd and I have to use 32xs to get reasonable aa. I've been wondering how one of these would work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617%20600030629&IsNodeId=1&name=30%22:)

AA is indeed the problem. Higher screen size with same resolution = more jaggies. Its unavoidable unless you (as some mentioned) pump up the AA on the card to very high levels.I have to say, my monitor is the best investment I have made. 2560x1600@30" means I only use 2xMSAA and nothing else for AA.