Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Question About R/W Pilots?

Funny sort of question, but don't really know where else to take it?Due to a medical condition, it looks like I can never now hold a PPL.However, a 'friend of a friend' has agreed to let me fly his rather elderly Archer, in France (accompanied by him, obviously!).Now, I've never really been one for rules & regs (except while serving), but this makes me wonder just a little. As yet, I know very little about this pilot, other than he's held his licence for for nearly 15 years, but he is not an instructor of any type.How does this sit with R/W pilots?

At least in the US as long as he is pic you can do it. Of course, if anything happens-he is responsible.

Hi Phil,I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I will say this: Burden of responsibility aside (because as Geoff mentioned you have none in this instance), make sure you meet the fellow and trust him with your life before you go flying with him. Some yahoos are licensed but shouldn't be. I'm a pretty picky guy as I have many pet peeves in the cockpit, but still you wouldn't believe the skill level of some pilots. I would hate for you to be terrified on what should be a great life experience!I used to take friends and especially girls (Angel.gif ) up and put them in the left seat to let them fly while I was but a private pilot. It's really no biggy! (If that was in fact your question.)Have fun and seize the opportunity!!! That's a hook up you should take advantage of!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Due to a medical condition, it looks like I can never now hold a PPL.
I would point you over to AOPA forums for some better advice. However, if you haven't been turned down for a Class III medical, you may still go the sport pilot route and be able to fly.It's been awhile since I've looked at medical regulations, but as I remember, as long as you hadn't been turned down for a medical, and held a driver's license, you could still seek a sport pilot certificate.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

I would point you over to AOPA forums for some better advice. However, if you haven't been turned down for a Class III medical, you may still go the sport pilot route and be able to fly.It's been awhile since I've looked at medical regulations, but as I remember, as long as you hadn't been turned down for a medical, and held a driver's license, you could still seek a sport pilot certificate.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the UK doesn't offer the Sport License. They have a "Microlight" license and most (all) light sport aircraft don't meet the 450kg requirement.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the UK doesn't offer the Sport License. They have a "Microlight" license and most (all) light sport aircraft don't meet the 450kg requirement.
My apologies.. Disregard. Missed the UK element.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Many thanks for all the input guys. Although I've yet to meet the pilot concerned, the intro came from one of my service 'opos', and him I HAVE trusted with my life - twice! As far as that goes, if he trusts him, then so do I.i was really more concerned about the legal aspects, and whether it could jeopardise his licence.As far being terrified Zach, been there mateShocked.gif Part of my job was guiding in the flyboys where to put their ordinance. That involved having to take a couple of rides with them to see their POV. They use to get a kick out making sure we chucked up.

Many thanks for all the input guys. Although I've yet to meet the pilot concerned, the intro came from one of my service 'opos', and him I HAVE trusted with my life - twice! As far as that goes, if he trusts him, then so do I.i was really more concerned about the legal aspects, and whether it could jeopardise his licence.As far being terrified Zach, been there mateShocked.gif Part of my job was guiding in the flyboys where to put their ordinance. That involved having to take a couple of rides with them to see their POV. They use to get a kick out making sure we chucked up.
Ex-AAC pilot (and LI before that) at your service...haha. Done both sides of that, recce/FAC and flying. Loved both, unfortunately can't do either anymore. Glad to have people with similar background on the forum.

Many PIC's let their pax "play" with the controls. And, it seems from what you're saying that you can't do a course. So, anything you do will be just "playing". remember though if the PIC says "I have control" let go of everything including the rudder pedals.vololiberista

Due to a medical condition, it looks like I can never now hold a PPL.However, a 'friend of a friend' has agreed to let me fly his rather elderly Archer, in France (accompanied by him, obviously!).
Hi Phil,As you apparently either live in France or at least spend time there regularly, you might be interested in obtaining an U.L.M. licence to fly an ultralight (or microlight as the english say). Do you speak French?Ultralights (or U.L.M.s as we say in France) are very impressive machines (some of them even have retracting gear etc.) and a simple certificate from your family doctor is enough for the medical part. You can't fly at night, or IFR, or do aerobatics and there are limitations (weight as Zach mentionned, power limited to 100 hp and the machines are two-seaters only). Usually, it takes about 30 hours to obtain a licence to fly solo (plus 30 to 50 more to be allowed to carry a passenger). I have very few hours in light AC but close to 800 in ultralights so if you want to know more, just let me know (or PM).Hope this helps,Bruno PS : As your signature also mentions the UK, where they have microlights, il may be even easier for you there.

Hi Zach,You're right, in France (and I assume in the UK), the 450 kg weight limit ( or 472 kg if the machine is equiped with a parachute) is for Microlights/ultralights, not LSAs. There is also a "European LSA" regulation in preparation. Not 100% sure about the UK but I am pretty sure the ultralight/microlight regulation is EU (European Union) so it applies in the UK as well.There can be a weight problem for some ultralights when you want to take a passenger AND a full load of gas. Mind you, the machines are all good for 500 to 600 kg but you need to stay below 450/472 if you want to remain legal. Hope this helps,Bruno

Hi.

However, a 'friend of a friend' has agreed to let me fly his rather elderly Archer, in France (accompanied by him, obviously!).How does this sit with R/W pilots?
I would take the opportunity and enjoy it. But before I go up with anyone I try to be self sufficient / reliant, as much as I can. Learn the systems, Emcy Procedures etc. and be as much part of the crew as possible. Insurance of some sort would help, I imagine there are deep pockets Legal eagles out there also? Have fun, I am not sure about all the rules about Europe, we will likely be there soon, in US, if the French and current admin have it their way. TV