Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

Changing Tail Number During Flight

The topic says it all. The first several times this happened I thought I really was not paying attention and it really didn't happen. So I decided to write the tail number down before the flight. The flight I am on now with AAL livery started as N805NN1 and in during the climb changed to N805NN. This started after installing SP1b.Michael Cubine

The topic says it all. The first several times this happened I thought I really was not paying attention and it really didn't happen. So I decided to write the tail number down before the flight. The flight I am on now with AAL livery started as N805NN1 and in during the climb changed to N805NN. This started after installing SP1b.Michael Cubine
I think it's usually 1 letter, 3 numbers, and 2 letters. So the last one is good. But I don't know why it would change...

Who's paint? PMDG's? Another painter?What times of the day?I ask because paints have two different textures for the tail, fuse & winglets.Each is activated at different times of the day andor the flick of a light switch.I have seen several paints in the past where the author just missed it.Also, the NGX has a special tail_night file I have still not even see used. The alpha channel is what I see being called on and not this phantom texture. I really wish someone could explain that one to me. Maybe it's just used in the 6&7 but certainly not the 9.If the code is calling for this other texture at any of the times I stated then there's the reason.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

This is the way NGX appends a number to the equipment .ini file when it finds another one already in the folder when reinstalling a livery as to not overwrite the old one. As far as I know it was only used for the FMC MAINT menu but maybe it's used somewhere on the livery too. Where exactly did you see this +1?

Weird. Like Sagga said, "NN1" wouldn't wouldn't even be a believable tail number for a few reasons. Could you be mistaken?
ZachI am not mistaken. Like I said in the original post I paid close attention to the numbers. Even wrote them down.Michael Cubine
Who's paint? PMDG's? Another painter?What times of the day?I ask because paints have two different textures for the tail, fuse & winglets.Each is activated at different times of the day andor the flick of a light switch.I have seen several paints in the past where the author just missed it.Also, the NGX has a special tail_night file I have still not even see used. The alpha channel is what I see being called on and not this phantom texture. I really wish someone could explain that one to me. Maybe it's just used in the 6&7 but certainly not the 9.If the code is calling for this other texture at any of the times I stated then there's the reason.
DanThis was a PMDG livery at 1430 CST. No dusk or dark in involved in this flight.Michael Cubine

This is the way NGX appends a number to the equipment .ini file when it finds another one already in the folder when reinstalling a livery as to not overwrite the old one. As far as I know it was only used for the FMC MAINT menu but maybe it's used somewhere on the livery too. Where exactly did you see this +1?
EricSaw the +1 on the instrument panel, I don't know what the fuselage showed. On the climb I could not get the AP engaged until the tail number changed back to N805NN from N805NN1. I haven't looked at the PMDG Setup-Equipment (trying to get AS2012 setup) but I bet NN1 engages on heading and and I know for sure NN egages on wings level because that is the way I setup NN. NN1 is probably the AAL default which is heading.Michael Cubine

A futher update on this issue. I am doing a KMIA-KJFK flight in the American livery right now. The VC and fuselage show N807NN and 2D shows N807NN1.In the FMC, PMDG Setup does not even show a N807NN as an available livery on the Load A/C Config pages; however, it does show N807NN1 as a configuration. Same problem yesterday on Delta from KMIA-KATL but PMDG setup shows both N389DA and N389DA1 on the configuration page.Michael Cubine

I submitted a ticket to PMDG concerning this issue and Ryan Maziar replied with a solution which I tried and it seem to work fine.Michael Cubine