Sign in to follow this  
HighFlyerPL185

737-700 Braking

Hello there,I am not sure whether to regard this as an issue, or a personal lack of skill of mine. Basically, whenever I fly the NGX 737-800, whenever I land, I usually manage to land well and brake within the distance of the runway. However, after numerous approaches to Liverpool in an easyJet 737-700, I failed to brake after landing (one turned out to be a hilarious drift but that's a different story). The trouble is, I approach with speed of about 145-160 kts, and got my spoilers up. After landing, it seems to brake very slowly, until eventually I run out of runway, whereas it does not happen on the 800. Is this an issue that maybe has been reported or I am simply not used to flying a slightly lighter aircraft? If I'm lacking a skill, I would appreciate if you could give me any tips, maybe some kind of a landing checklist, since I could not find one, and the certified ones cost a bit sad.pngThank you and kind regards.

Up to 160 kts on approach seems a little too much in a 700.Are you below MLW?Are you positive your wheel brakes are engaging on touch down? What autobrake setting are you using?

coming in too fast, try to come in at 140--143 of course that depends on the weiight and fuel on the craft

are the autobrakes disengaging after touchdown? check to make sure the orange light above the autobrake selector doesn't come on when you land. I noticed in the -700 that sometimes it doesn't engage if you make a very smooth landing, in which case you need to manually brake or you will roll a long way down the runway.as other posters have said, 160 is way too fast.

Thanks for the replies, my autobrake is usually set on 1, don't know if that's a good enough setting. And I'll try a slower approach.

I would use Autobrake 1 or 2 at Liverpool, depending on how heavy I was and how long I wanted the landing roll to be. At 100,000 lbs your landing distances in feet for each Autobrake setting are the following: AB 1 : 5320AB 2 : 4840AB 3 : 3850AB Max : 2430Of course you must adjust for wind, temperature, speed, slope, and field elevation, but you can find all this information in the FCOM volume 1 (PI.22.3)

Also, do you use reversers? They don´t affect autobrakes on lower settings, but will reduce landing distance in higher settings.

The trouble is I don't know where abouts they're located on the panel or how to enable them in the PMDG, maybe there's my problem.And yeah, I tried all the above, and in fact, it kind of worked, however the aircraft stopped at the very end of the runway. There's no orange light on the autobrakes, but something I think is wrong, since when after releasing the auto throttle and setting manual throttle on the joy to idle, the spoilers magically do not want to activate. Whenever I press it, they instantly go off.

Spoilers should activate automatically upon touchdown if you have the green light showing (a checklist item). In any case they would unfold if you activate reversers (pushing F1 once and holding F2 for a bit will suffice). Try setting autobrakes on a higher setting, do they work?Also, are you landing on a dry runway? In these temperatures, if PMDG modelled it (I think they did), the airplane could think there is ice on the runway if weather conditions are so.

You may also want to check your failures... When reviewing the NGX, there was one landing where the plane wouldn't slow down quick enough no matter what I tried (Braking indicator displayed by FSX and everything)... well I had a brake failure sitting on my CDU waiting for my attention that I never noticed! :) After that the brakes worked as they should have.

Another thing that dawned on me - your brakes, are they cool? If you are just doing patterns instead of longer flight, or had an RTO on takeoff, they might be too hot.

I had the master lit up once, cause I was doing circuits over Liverpool, but mysteriously, I couldn't see any warning on the CDU. I rarely use the RTO setting on takeoff. I manipulated the speed between 140-145 kts, activated the spoilers on finals as well as autobrakes to MAX this time to see the difference, and eventually landed disabling A/T on finals. So, here it began, eventually I touched down, and until the touching down completely, it kept 145 kts, after which it seemed to slow down, but very slowly, after which sadly, I ran out of runway. I don't know if this could be an issue, but maybe my joystick configuration could be incorrect. I noticed when my throttle was on idle during touchdown, the turbines kept rolling fast and producing lots of noise, as if I was taking off, but not producing any speed - at idle. Or maybe it needed a reverser in the first place...I'll try again, this time monitoring the brakes on the CDU as well as the reverser. Thanks for the tips, I'll report back.

Idle on landing should be somewhere in low twenties IIRC. Check that you have that. Also make sure you press F1 after touchdown, might help. If you do this, and then see the white line jump back to 20ish percent N1 and then back high then that is the problem and you need to calibrate your throttle.I took a look at Liverpool runway and it is plenty long enough you should not need reverse, given normal braking (AUTO 3 or higher on MLW for 800, AUTO 2 or higher on MLW for 700)Giving me your landing mass would help.

Using the same settings, and a reverser, I managed to brake well this time. Ironically, I didn't even use the autobrake, as I only noticed later that I forgot about it. I think the reverser was the missing key. As soon as I landed, it started to lose kts quite quickly allowing me to stop just outside the third taxiway at EGGP 09 (before the last one). I'll try a couple of times more, in case I'm stuck I'll come back for your amazing help guys. Thanks.

Next time try using just idle reverse. Tap F1 once, then F2 once. I still think your joystick might mandate high idle, and only your going to reverse repaired this.