Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

EZ DOK Disconnects AutoPilot when I depress a button on Joystick

Title says it all - using Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (love it), EZDOK, PMDG737NGX, FSUIPC Registered 4.x.Have the Squeeze lever on the WH configured to cycle through the three camera categories in EZ DOK. After squeezing it a couple of times, invariably my Auto Pilot disconnects, the klaxxon horn sounds, and I cannot seem to figure out why this is happening.I just added LINDA to control the 737NGX, works a treat. The squeeze lever button on the joystick is NOT assigned to anything in Linda. I -may- possibly have configured it a week or so back to do something in FSX but I can't recall. WHen I installed LINDA, I had to delete the Button Controls from the FSX Modules\Controls HTML file. I have that button configured to swap cameras in EZ DOK.I'm willing to bet someone with a Warthog may have a possible clue how I can troubleshoot this, thus I'm asking for advice, please. Thank you!Robert

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Title says it all - using Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (love it), EZDOK, PMDG737NGX, FSUIPC Registered 4.x.Have the Squeeze lever on the WH configured to cycle through the three camera categories in EZ DOK. After squeezing it a couple of times, invariably my Auto Pilot disconnects, the klaxxon horn sounds, and I cannot seem to figure out why this is happening.I just added LINDA to control the 737NGX, works a treat. The squeeze lever button on the joystick is NOT assigned to anything in Linda. I -may- possibly have configured it a week or so back to do something in FSX but I can't recall. WHen I installed LINDA, I had to delete the Button Controls from the FSX ModulesControls HTML file. I have that button configured to swap cameras in EZ DOK.I'm willing to bet someone with a Warthog may have a possible clue how I can troubleshoot this, thus I'm asking for advice, please. Thank you!Robert
Hi Robert,I wonder if you can get the A/P D/C alarm to silence with the same button? If you can, you've got the button mapped in the NGX's CDU to the soft A/P disconnect. The NGX's key assignments are, of course, separate from FSX assignments. Check the settings in the CDU to see if some settings from your old hardware controller are still in there.Glad you're enjoying that new device. I've been eying it since it's release but I can't stomach the price as a student.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

This is RESOLVED.I will write an in-depth step-by-step of how I fixed the problem (Short version: Global disable EZDOK. Start up FSUIPC (registered version). Reload the keyboard commands (erasing what was there prior). Removed virtually all keyboard commands from within FSX itself. Used LINDA to program my Hotas Warthog Throttle/Joystick set to run a great number of functions on the NGX. Ordered a Logitech G13 keypad to allow additional button programming (again via LINDA). AFAIK I think that LINDA can configure a USB HID (human interface device). I won't know till the G13 gets here if Linda can "see it". If so, I will be golden.Configuring the additional existing files (FSX.CFG plus one or two other files per the LINDA instruction manual is not for the faint of heart or the computer-challenged. You have to fathom what to keep and what to pull out for your setup to interoperate properly This is why I strongly recommend getting a rock-solid backup schema in place, learn it, test it, live it. When you make alterations in your system, and if things don't go as hoped, it's golden to be able to revert the box to 'known good working state'. SYSTEM RESTORE may NOT be enough to get you back to where you want to be.I'm pretty comfortable with Acronis True Image - but you need to learn how to use it, and especially how to RESTORE things properly... I'm just sayin... realize most pilots are pretty smart peeps....

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hi Robert,I wonder if you can get the A/P D/C alarm to silence with the same button? If you can, you've got the button mapped in the NGX's CDU to the soft A/P disconnect. The NGX's key assignments are, of course, separate from FSX assignments. Check the settings in the CDU to see if some settings from your old hardware controller are still in there.Glad you're enjoying that new device. I've been eying it since it's release but I can't stomach the price as a student.
Hey! You're right - I did go into FSUIPC and tinkered a bit - and blew things out, everything is rock-solid now... you must KEEP the AXIS (AXES is the plural) for each controller. I also retained the POV Hat for my JOYSTICK but blew out the POV for the throttle. EZ DOK works just as I hoped now, better than ever. The instruction manual for LINDA could be tighter and more precise. KEEPING THE AXES is key. I originally blew out the AXES settings from one of the FSX files per the LINDA manual - then my joystick wouldn't work, I was more than sad as I couldn't get the plane off the runway. Restored the entire system from a full image backup and started over. Kept the AXES - JOY.I am sympathetic to student budgets... I have to say I regard the $398 for the Warthog as the best single investment I've made to date in FSX, even above some of the other "had to have it" stuff I bought. Why? Being able to press dedicated buttons on the controller GREATLY speeds up some critical functions, particularly when taking off/landing. Example, I can flip two toggle switches and swap between landing lights and taxi lights. That's golden when you're busy with your throttles, rudder and the ATC after touching down. SO MUCH EASIER than mouse clicks! TrackIR wasn't for me. All that zipping around (you can see what I mean on many YouTube videos... makes me kind of queasy.I didn't believe those who said I'd never look back if I bought the warthog. They spoke the truth. The sheer 'heavy' feel of the joystick is something beyond my highest expectations. The LINDA software available here on AVSIM in combination wtth the WH setup and (soon to arrive) $50 Logitech G13 gamepad moved my immersion by at least 3 or 4 notches. You might be able to find a used WH on the web somewhere if someone is quitting gaming or simming... No I couldn't silence the AP alarm with the same button, but I -did- get rid of the issue. Backing everything up as we speak.To me, the WH with its reversers at the bottom of the throttle travel (Lift at idle and pull further towards you) is AMAZING and 'the next best thing' to buying really pricey stuff from Precision Flight Controls and other vendors. Also the HE Sensors/Magnets in the WH make it much more precise in all axes than the wannabe stuff from CH and SAITEK. Saitek pulls you in with its modular strategy. You can buy a piece at a time, and add things. OVer time you can get a goodly sum invested in an awful lot of plastic. The WH is so incredibly heavy it's mind blowing. I do like the Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel though, and I also have their Combat Rudders which work well - ONCE YOU GET THEM CONFIGURED.As a person who is an IT manager and has written some moderately complex software, I have to say that this hobby is a bit more challenging than many others. Getting it ALL to work, whilst maintaing decent frame rates, that's the rub.Thanks for replying and for your suggestions!robert

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Glad to hear it Robert!I was an early TrackIR 5 adopter. It's right up my ally.As I just can't fly airliners without my yoke, I can't justify putting something else in my computer room to dust weekly! I will, however, own that stick at some point.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Glad to hear it Robert!I was an early TrackIR 5 adopter. It's right up my ally.As I just can't fly airliners without my yoke, I can't justify putting something else in my computer room to dust weekly! I will, however, own that stick at some point.
Yes, In the perfect hobby world, I would have a nice yoke and an actual MFC panel and overheat, throttle quadrant and radio console. I would have a MUCH lighter bank account. Fortunately, I'm 'between wives' right now, so that's ONE LESS roadblock...I'm also drooling over touch screens as another way to enhance the experience. At some point you have to stop... I was looking at used 737's on Craig's List...but the manager of my apartment complex FORBIDS me to get one, because of the parking problem. Also the runway in my home town isn't long enough to land/take off the real thing (Lear jet is about the max), and let's not forget the FUEL COSTS / maintenance.... If you think the Warthog is pricey, try buying a real 737, I don't care how old it is.My goal is to be the oldest living commercial airline pilot. The key word is "still living"Even though I'm nearly deaf, practically blind and pretty uncoordinated as hell, there's gotta be a spot for me SOMEWHERE, yeah? Oh, my medic alert bracelet? That's just for effect.TrackIR - there is a freebie version on the web that uses your webcam - I'm sure its not 1/2 as good as TrackIR.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg