Sign in to follow this  
jturie

What are NGX Long and Short Panel States?

I've recently acquired this magnificent simulation and have been having a blast following the tutorial and creating some of my own flights using the tutorial steps. I will eventually do a soup-to-nuts Cold & Dark flight but I need to get more experience with flying this bird. I don't want to just start out on the active runway with everything running, but I don't want to do a Cold & Dark every time either.I noticed that there are "NGX Short" and "NGX Long" panel states stored in the FMC, but the documentation just mentions them in passing. Does anyone know what these states are? In other words, I would like to know where in the checklists these panel states kick in. Looking at the "Short" state, the APU is running, looks like the IRS is aligned....it's possible that the plane is ready for pushback and start after loading the FMC??Any info would be a great help. Thanks. (BTW I did search the forum before posting this, but didn't see anything.)

Think he was looking for more info regarding the actual states/settings they are configure to - long - what exactly or how is the aircraft configured for this. The intro doesnt give this.

Diego:A quote from page 48 of the IntroWe have included the following panel states for you to use:NGX CLD DRK: This is the airplane completely shut down.NGX LONG: This is the airplane on a long ground turn.NGX SHORT: This is the airplane on a short ground turn...hence the reason for my post "but the documentation just mentions them in passing". I don't know the industry nomenclature, so "long ground turn" and "short ground turn". Mean nothing to me. I really did read the intro cover to cover :(

usually with the long turn state enabled...passengers havent begun boarding.seat belt signs are off as well as the IRS and the emergency lights. The airplane is being powered by ground equipment and it really boils down to the fact that the airplane isnt self-sufficient.With the short turn enabled, the pilots have done their pre-flight cockpit prearations and the passengers would be hurrying to get on board. The aPU is powering and conditioning the aircraft.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Jack, I don't have time to go in depth, but a short ground turn is where an aircraft arrives and will be departing as soon as they load the freight and pax. For example, lots of American domestic flights use this, as they fly multi-segment routes. A long turn is where the aircraft can shut down completely, as they'll be there awhile. For example, international routes usually do this as the crew will be changing out and the aircraft will need a full service (cleaning, fuel, inspection, etc).

I'd like to resurrect this topic, as I have the same question-

I understand the concept of the short panel state - and it seems that this state should be used most often on domestic US flights as cold and dark would only happen first flight in the AM, the rest of the flights would use this short panel as flights go from hub to hub and so on throughout the day.

But specifically, what part section of the Normal Procedures in the FCOM should I pick up from?

My guess would be the First Officer procedure would be complete, and I should first program the FMC, then pick up from the Captain's preflight procedure and continue on... Is this correct?

But specifically, what part section of the Normal Procedures in the FCOM should I pick up from?

All procedures not listed as "first flight of day," really. I'm not sure the Normal Procedures in the FCOM outline that, specifically, but basically omit most system tests. Other than that, the only real difference between short and long is the APU being on, and the IRS being spun up in the short state (it likely wouldn't be in the real plane, but I think it was done for people's convenience in the sim).

Remember that checklists aren't lists of actions - they're lists of verifications.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok, I gotcha thanks!

A followup:

I have been following the FCOM normal procedures from cold & dark every flight for the past couple weeks to get into the routine and start to understand the flows, and recognize what to do, when, and recognize things out of place and the such...

I think I am ready to consolidate a bit down to a checklist, and I've found one by a guy named CarstenRau, a 20 page checklist. The document has PMDG in the header and is called Checklist + Flow-procedure. Was this document created by PMDG or did he just use the logo? It seems legit. It has Boeing in the header too... I think most of PMDG's stuff is literally copied from Boeing manuals, was this checklist by Boeing, or did Carsten do it himself?

Real world pilots don't really have a 20 page checklist to follow (or do they?). I am guessing they have done the routine so many times, the only time they break into a hard checklist is if something is wrong. Is this correct?

As Kyle pointed out about the short turn.

The "long" turn is the best to use as your on GPU and even "short" turns the NG "normally" will be hooked up to a GPU. 

If you want to get into the NG I surgest you get FS2Crew NG Rebooted. It come with 3 real world SOP's

Also The links in my sig might help you?

Enjoy the NG Nick  :smile:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks Kyle. I will likely get FS2Crew somewhere down the road, probably along with a bunch of other stuff. I'm still just getting my feet wet with this aircraft. Theres some cool stuff from angle of attack as well I might get into some day too. To look at all the info out there and try to digest it all at once is blowing my mind. I want to know it all.. but I gotta realize I have a real life and a real job and I can only fit this hobby in in my free time... which is essentially an hour or two at night before bed.

It is a bit concerning that I am getting addicted to this plane. It is everything I had wanted in a flight simulator. I got it 3 or 4 weeks ago and if I could disconnect from the world I'd spend the next 4 months learning everything there is to learn about it. Unfortunately, as I said... I am a husband and father of 3 with a real world engineering job, and there is very little precious time to devote to this plane. I have to constantly remind myself to dial it back and digest things slowly.

If only I had the free time I had when I was 15 years old or so!

It is a bit concerning that I am getting addicted to this plane.

Welcome to your addiction! Father, husband and employment do take priority but enjoy it when you can. Been there.

My daughter gets her doctorate this spring, the wife is gone and I am a retired engineer and believe me, I honestly wish I had more time to spend with this hobby. Not only is there the spendid aircraft, but there is a world of flight planning, navigation, creating your own airports (you'll find my name in the AVSIM library) and now I want to learn 3D modelling. Oh yes, also took on a new computer language and published my first C# program. Not enough time!!

Dan Downs KCRP

IRS being spun up in the short state

With the exception of one carrier that had a globe on it's tail, most US carriers would just do a quick align if the crew was staying on the aircraft. The IRSs would be aligning for 30 seconds max. I always assumed this was the situation the "NGX Short" panel state was supposed to replicate.

Joe Sherrill