Sign in to follow this  
Wilbert

X-Plane 10 Brakes

I've had this sim for about a week now and still have not been able to set correctly to make successful flight.1 - How do you effect brakes enough to keep plane still after starting engine in 172 Cessna? All efforts I have made only slow plane down but not totally stopped.2 - What is the lowest RPM the 172 can do without shutting down?3 - What gamma setting is typical?BTW - I have the latest updates available. Also, I am using CH flightsim yoke, pro pedals, and throttle quadrant.

1. By default, hitting the B key toggles regular effort on the parking brakes. You need to assign a key or button to "toggle max effort" in the buttons setup screen.2. Don't quote me on it, but I think if it goes below 500-600, the engine will stall. 3. On a Mac, I think it's 2.2. On Windows, it's 2.5. There is a big blog post about this on Ben Supniks blog. Personally, I prefer 2.0 to 2.2 on Windows. For me, it looks richer.

1. By default, hitting the B key toggles regular effort on the parking brakes. You need to assign a key or button to "toggle max effort" in the buttons setup screen.2. Don't quote me on it, but I think if it goes below 500-600, the engine will stall. 3. On a Mac, I think it's 2.2. On Windows, it's 2.5. There is a big blog post about this on Ben Supniks blog. Personally, I prefer 2.0 to 2.2 on Windows. For me, it looks richer.
Thanks for responding Goran,I have the brakes set up on my yoke and my pedals and they work but it does not work as "Parking brake" as in FSX. I am using max setting.I cannot get RPM lower than about 900. Maybe that also affects my braking situation.What A/C do you mostly use?

I'm not sure how to calibrate the rudder pedals (toe brakes) in x plane. I don't have rudder pedals. Probably one of the few people that don't.If you intentionally want to stall the aircraft, in this case the Cessna, slowly pull out the mixture slider. The engine will start to die down because of the lower fuel/air ratio. You could also change the idle speed in Planemaker if you want it to idle at a lower RPM.I actually haven't flown much in X Plane. Most of my flying is limited to testing. When I DO fly, I obviously fly my Duchess or Sundowner :( although I have a particular fondness for the Duchess.If I want to fly a heavy, I fly the CRJ-200.I've dabbled in others, but I really don't have much time to recreationally fly much anymore. Aircraft development takes up a major part of my time.

I have the rudder pedals set up just fine. I think the engine is just rev'd a little too high at idle.Is the CRJ-200 included or an addon? Do you use ATC for your flights and have you changed the default setup airport?

This is most likely due to an old bug - concerning ground friction. It is appearantly complicated math and physics to calculate correct ground friction in X-Plane. Has to do with the physics-model running in dependence to framerate and such, iirc.The end result is that you will get some "creeping" - even with wheels totally locked. XP9 worked around that by arbitrarily setting friction to "total" whenever the parking brake was set - quite possible that Laminar is trying to get this more correct again - at the expense of some unusual behaviour for the static state.Ground friction is one of the big problems for X-Plane and has been historically. Not an easy solution here, it seems. Planes will slide too easily, braking action is not quite realistic, and the aquaplaning behaviour is a confirmed bug (was in XP9 - haven´t tried in XP10). And don´t even try frozen deposits - ice or snow - it´s typical Austin style - a wild rollercoaster ride that is fun but little realistic :-(Our IXEG 737 will heavily modify and bend the ground behaviour to get realistic performance while there is weight on wheels. (taxiing, turning, braking, crosswind tracking etc.)Jan

Has to do with the physics-model running in dependence to framerate and such, iirc.
Seems I remember reading that the physics modeling was decoupled from the framerate some time ago. But regardless, you're correct that ground physics do seem overly slippery at the moment.

Our IXEG 737 will heavily modify and bend the ground behaviour to get realistic performance while there is weight on wheels. (taxiing, turning, braking, crosswind tracking etc.)Jan
Sounds Interesting. Who is "Our" and where do I purchase this A/C?
It's an add-on. Seen here: http://www.x-aviatio...&products_id=68
Is this A/C developed exclusively for X-Plane 10 or one that was developed for previous version and ported over to X-Plane 10. I have had some bad experiences with FSX aircraft that was ported over from FS9.Thanks....

Sounds Interesting. Who is "Our" and where do I purchase this A/C?
The "our" that Jan refers to is IXEG: http://www.ixeg.netThis product is not yet for sale.
Is this A/C developed exclusively for X-Plane 10 or one that was developed for previous version and ported over to X-Plane 10. I have had some bad experiences with FSX aircraft that was ported over from FS9.Thanks....
X-Plane 9 and X-Plane 10 use the same formats for aircraft. This is not like the transition that you were used to in FS X from FS 9. X-Plane 10 adds new lighting features if the developer so pleases.That said, the CRJ comes with a single installer, but TWO aircraft. During install you'll be asked whether you'd like to install into XP 9 or XP 10.

Founder of X-Aviation