Sign in to follow this  
Brit

Trying To Reinstall FSX On Different Hard drive.

Hey guys,Today i decided to remove FSX from my windows drive as i only had 1gig left and wanted to have space for add ons etc. So i deleted the FSX folder in my C drive and went ahead re-installing FSX, this is where im stuck! I want to install FSX on my D drive which has over 300gb of space, i run the setup and go to options and select the D:\FSX and press install but it goes ahead and installs it on my C drive? The only files that are installed on the D drive are the "Fonts" folder and Support link.Any idea why it won't install to the drive i selected?

Hello;When you removed Fsx,did you insert the CD,and use the un-install that comes with the program,as for moving to a different location,I have mine installed on the D-drive,I just made a Fsx folder,and when you load the program,you get a choice where to install Fsx,just select your new folder,and it should work.As for the SDK's,I made a folder for them as well,in the D-drive.Mark

Mark is right, but you don't need the CD to uninstall it. You just do it via control panel. If you just deleted it, then all you can do is allow it to isntall where it wants, then remove it correctly via add/remove programs or it's own uninstaller in either your programs menu or the CD.In order to choose custom installation paths (directoriesfolders), you often will need to click on the setup's "Custom" or "Advanced" install method. Most times the intended path is more obvious and often skipped over being right in front of your face, but not FSX. For FSX you need to click on the "More Options" button in the lower left which will be the 1st screen. However, if you did as described above. You're going to have a lot of issues if you just deleted it so should reinstall it then remove it properly. Not doing that will give you a lot of broken and mis-guided registry links since FSX still has the same places it nests other files in both your program data folder and userappsroamingmicrosoft of C:, no matter where it's installed.You don't need to create a directory prior and could just retype the install directory manually if you want (in more options), but it's easier the way Mark said for some people.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Ok i installed it again and uninstalled it properly this time and success! now installing on my other hard drive :) thanks guys. Installing very slowly though, is this normal?

Glad to hear it Michael. Slowness is normal if you mean from the CD. The fastest CD player is still normally slower than the average HD. Once you're all re-installed, defrag a couple times. Speed also depends on the drive of course, and connections type. If it's a custom build, be sure you have the latest chipset drivers and SATA drivers. If it's older than SATA 1 (such as IDE), then slow is to be expected.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Ok i installed it again and uninstalled it properly this time and success! now installing on my other hard drive :) thanks guys. Installing very slowly though, is this normal?
I just did a reinstall to move FSX out of my x86 folder and it does take a while....and then I spent 2 days reinstalling UTX, all of its patches, GEX, all of its patches, REX, REX2, Overdrive, hotfixes.......... :( However, I gained about 8-10 fps.