Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Ivy Bridge "Overclockability"

How much better will the Ivy Bridge be for overclocking?I know that we don't have a whole lot of real information about the chips, BUT, I would like to hear some of the various opinions about this new series of chips from Intel.

I agree; they may use slightly less voltage, create less heat getting to the same clockspeed, but most modern Intel chips seem to overclock 1.2-1.5 ghz max oc over the last 5 years or so. So as the base clock starts at 3.4-3.5 in IB chips, I suspect they will maximize at around the same as current sb's of 4.8-5.0; CPU's hit a wall when clocks are too high.If IB were having big start out baseclock increases like starting out at 3.6-3.7 ghz, I would say they may oc to 5.2 or so, but as baseclock is similar to current, don't expect miracles. The reason for the perceived 'improved overclockabliity' of sb chips is they were starting out at 3.3-3.4 ghz as opposed to the older i7/i5's that were starting out at 2.66-2.8 etc thus now getting to high 4's etc, this perceived 'clockspeed jump' will not be around for this generation change as base clock speed is increased by100mhz at most.. Most SB's hit a wall voltage or clock wise, not heat.However we could always be surprised;)

Simon

I agree; they may use slightly less voltage, create less heat getting to the same clockspeed, but most modern Intel chips seem to overclock 1.2-1.5 ghz max oc over the last 5 years or so. So as the base clock starts at 3.4-3.5 in IB chips, I suspect they will maximize at around the same as current sb's of 4.8-5.0; CPU's hit a wall when clocks are too high.If IB were having big start out baseclock increases like starting out at 3.6-3.7 ghz, I would say they may oc to 5.2 or so, but as baseclock is similar to current, don't expect miracles. The reason for the perceived 'improved overclockabliity' of sb chips is they were starting out at 3.3-3.4 ghz as opposed to the older i7/i5's that were starting out at 2.66-2.8 etc thus now getting to high 4's etc, this perceived 'clockspeed jump' will not be around for this generation change as base clock speed is increased by100mhz at most.. Most SB's hit a wall voltage or clock wise, not heat.However we could always be surprised;)
ehh.... I wouldn't say that the SB chips have an overclockable "wall." -- Most people just don't want to push their chips high because they don't want to overheat their chips...

I disagree, the majority of 2500k, 2600k's top out at 4.4-4.6 reguardless of heat or voltage; many, many chips (2600k/2500k) are not stable over 4.5-4.6. Temps are not usually a problem with sb.

Simon

ehh.... I wouldn't say that the SB chips have an overclockable "wall." -- Most people just don't want to push their chips high because they don't want to overheat their chips...
There's definitely a wall. The wall at which the voltage it takes to make you chip go "zoom" ends up frying it instead. Around 4.9 for me. Any more voltage and I'm bumping voltage to 1.49v+.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

There's definitely a wall. The wall at which the voltage it takes to make you chip go "zoom" ends up frying it instead. Around 4.9 for me. Any more voltage and I'm bumping voltage to 1.49v+.
Yeah how about if you have an H100? <_<

The Sandy Bridge processors have a theoretical limit of 5.7Ghz, although in practice nobody is going to reach it. The Ivy Bridge limit has been raised to 6.3GHz, but again, this probably has no practical implication. But there is a wall.There are some Ivy Bridge specs that might bode well for overclocking. The CPU multiplier has been increased to 63x from 57x, and the 22nm 3D transistors give the cpu more power per watt so it has a TDP of 77 watts, down from 95 watts on Sandy Bridge. This means it runs cooler so, in theory, there is more room for overclocking.And system throughput could be higher because the CPU is rated for DDR3 1600 ram, up from DDR3 1333 Ram, and PCI 3 should increase disk access. The proof will be in the pudding but it looks good.Bill
Only time will tell what Ivy Bridge turns out to be...

Yeah how about if you have an H100? <_<
:Doh: Or is that an honest question? And what are your actual system specs, out of curiosity? I was under the impression your signature was current specs but they're not upon further investigation. (which is strange because your sig even states an overclocked speed which you don't know if you can even accomplish yet)Regardless of cooling, there is a "wall" at which any processor will become substantially less keen on overclocking. You can expect that wall to start at around 4.5-4.8 for SB.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

:Doh: Or is that an honest question? And what are your actual system specs, out of curiosity? I was under the impression your signature was current specs but they're not upon further investigation. (which is strange because your sig even states an overclocked speed which you don't know if you can even accomplish yet)Regardless of cooling, there is a "wall" at which any processor will become substantially less keen on overclocking. You can expect that wall to start at around 4.5-4.8 for SB.
My actual system specs are in my signature... What do you think? lolThe 2700k's seem to have less of a wall than the 2500 and 2600.

My actual system specs are in my signature... What do you think? lolAs far as I am concerned, my 2700k is running beautifully. The 2700k's seem to have less of a wall than the 2500 and 2600.
1- You've had those system specs and that overclock in your sig since before you ordered the parts. So I don't know what to think.2- You owned the 2500k and the 2600k before?

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

1- You've had those system specs and that overclock in your sig since before you ordered the parts. So I don't know what to think.2- You owned the 2500k and the 2600k before?
1.Okay I admit it... I don't have the system yet... I was just trying to impress you guys cause I wanted to "fit in" better.... My apologies... I feel like an idiot :unsure: (I get it on Sunday)2. I do honestly have a close friend with the 2600k. I haven't owned one before.

Well, it is fun to tout our hardware on here! Just remember other folks read this forum and use it for the purpose of bettering their Flight Simulator experience and heck, their PCs in general. Remember that because someone may make an assumption that the 2700k truly is an amazing overclocker compared to the 2500/2600k. That or other false assumptions could be made with misinformation, and I really don't want misinformation on my favorite forums!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

1.Okay I admit it... I don't have the system yet... I was just trying to impress you guys cause I wanted to "fit in" better.... My apologies... I feel like an idiot :unsure: (I get it on Sunday)2. I do honestly have a close friend with the 2600k. I haven't owned one before.
That's OK Ben, I knew you were just ordering it because you had told me so in a PM, so I don't think you were trying to decieve. If I had something big coming I might do the same, who knows? I wonder what the reaction would be if I start listing my (then ordered) Ivy Bridge pieces as an April Fool's joke? I see Zack's point too. We do have to be really careful what we say though, insofar as performance, because it would be an awful thing to have others buy something that does not perform as they thought it would, because we were fooling around with the facts.

That's OK, I knew you were ordering it because you had told me so in a PM, so there is nothing wrong with the way you did it. If I had something big coming I would likely do the same since what's the difference? I see Zack's point too. I wonder what the reaction is if I start listing my (then ordered) Ivy Bridge pieces sometime in March or April? :Love:
Hell, I'm going to start telling people I'm an airline pilot before I am! The girls like that, right?! Just as a front for those nights out... :Party:Seriously. No harm done Ben.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well, it is fun to tout our hardware on here! Just remember other folks read this forum and use it for the purpose of bettering their Flight Simulator experience and heck, their PCs in general. Remember that because someone may make an assumption that the 2700k truly is an amazing overclocker compared to the 2500/2600k. That or other false assumptions could be made with misinformation, and I really don't want misinformation on my favorite forums!
Very true... That's why I began posting on here... Defenetly the best flight sim forums around.
That's OK Ben, I knew you were just ordering it because you had told me so in a PM. If I had something big coming I would likely do the same since what's the difference? I see Zack's point too. I wonder what the reaction would be if I start listing my (then ordered) Ivy Bridge pieces sometime in March or April? We do have to be really careful what we say though, insofar as performance, because it would be an awful thing to have others buy something that does not perform as they thought it would, because we were fooling around with the facts.
I really do agree.. And i regret all of the nonsense that I posted too...My sincerest apologies :unsure:Merry Christmas to all :)
Hell, I'm going to start telling people I'm an airline pilot before I am! The girls like that, right?! Just as a front for those nights out... :Party:Seriously. No harm done Ben.
LMFAO