Sign in to follow this  
gura75

IAN Integrated Approach Navigation

Can't speak for the 747, but I have both the NGX and the old 737 for FS9 and it is definitely not modeled in the old one. I'm not sure if the real 747 has that capability, frankly when I heard about it in the NGX that was the first I'd ever heard of it.

Steve Caffey

Can't speak for the 747, but I have both the NGX and the old 737 for FS9 and it is definitely not modeled in the old one. I'm not sure if the real 747 has that capability, frankly when I heard about it in the NGX that was the first I'd ever heard of it.
According to different aviation articles, new technology and increased navigation accuracy made it possible to use IAN in real NGs and NGXs. I think iFLY 737 have already implemented this feature. I would love to see it in PMDG as well.gura75

According to different aviation articles, new technology and increased navigation accuracy made it possible to use IAN in real NGs and NGXs. I think iFLY 737 have already implemented this feature. I would love to see it in PMDG as well.gura75
The NGX does have IAN approach capabilities.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

The NGX does have IAN approach capabilities.
Is an IAN approach dependent on what approach is chosen in the FMC, corresponding airport? Or can any ILS approach with it's way points be executed as IAN approach. In that case how should one do so. Basically how to perform an IAN approach. I understand IAN does not make use of localizer/ils signal.gura75

According to different aviation articles, new technology and increased navigation accuracy made it possible to use IAN in real NGs and NGXs. I think iFLY 737 have already implemented this feature. I would love to see it in PMDG as well.
The NGX does have IAN modeled, that's what I was saying.. "Real NGs and NGXs"? Just for clarity, the NGX is what PMDG calls the 737NG for FSX. There is no real aircraft called an "NGX". I was attempting to answer your original question. NGX, yes. NG for FS9, no and I doubt it ever will. 747 I don't have, so I don't know. Also I don't know if the real 747 can do this. MD-11 (technically kinda sorta Boeing since they bought MD) doesn't have this, but does have a Flight Path Angle mode on the FCP..
Is an IAN approach dependent on what approach is chosen in the FMC, corresponding airport? Or can any ILS approach with it's way points be executed as IAN approach. In that case how should one do so. Basically how to perform an IAN approach. I understand IAN does not make use of localizer/ils signal.gura75
Basically using IAN creates a Glide Path (not a Glide Slope, that's the vertical guidance on an ILS) on non precision approaches (non-ILS) For example, a Localizer or GPS approach. There's no reason to use it on an ILS approach, the ILS itself has a glide slope. If you have the NGX, you can find more information about it in the FCOM that is included.Also just as a friendly bit of information, PMDG forum rules state that you must sign your real first and last name to all posts, not your screen name, or any posts may be deleted without warning..http://forum.avsim.n...ill-be-deleted/

Steve Caffey

When approaching ENVA RWY 27 it seems like IAN is engaged despite FMC is programmed to perform ILS approche. I need to take a closer look. I'm pretty sure I choose ILS 27 approach in the FMC ARR page. Anyway, when performing IAN with PFD indicating (ARM,FAC,G/P) can the MPC altitude be changed at this point in order to be prepared for TO/GA, go around and HOLD altitude?- Geir Hansen

Not all PMDG aircraft have IAN. NGX is there only product with this type of functionality modelled.

Peter Osborn

When approaching ENVA RWY 27 it seems like IAN is engaged despite FMC is programmed to perform ILS approche. I need to take a closer look. I'm pretty sure I choose ILS 27 approach in the FMC ARR page. Anyway, when performing IAN with PFD indicating (ARM,FAC,G/P) can the MPC altitude be changed at this point in order to be prepared for TO/GA, go around and HOLD altitude?- Geir Hansen
But did you also tune the ILS into the NAV radio and set the course on the MCP? I'm not sure how the plane would handle selecting an ILS in the FMC but not tuning it into the radio.. The 737 does not auto tune the ILS.

Steve Caffey

But did you also tune the ILS into the NAV radio and set the course on the MCP? I'm not sure how the plane would handle selecting an ILS in the FMC but not tuning it into the radio.. The 737 does not auto tune the ILS.
The same procedure were followed for RWY 9 ILS with expected results. RWY 27 on the other hand gave unexpected results. Sure. NAV radio active 109,9 both receivers, LOC course on MCP 268. I enabled for the morse code audio just to be sure. I heard the morse code but did never get LOC on localizer. ARR page in FMC showed ILS approach. When I hit the APP it started to look like IAN. I will do another approach enva rwy 27 with an update to this post. Thanks for your tips guys and merry Christmas.

NGX is our only product that features it. The 744 (real world) does not have it as far as I'm aware but the 748 likely does. It is an option in the real world on the NG and 777 and I believe it's standard on the 787.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I now IAN stands for "Integrated Approach Navigation", but could someone please explain what it does exactly? I know it's used for approach navigation, but where and how do I use it?

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_22/737approach_story.html#3http://www.b737.org.uk/flightinsts.htm#NG_Flight_Instruments scroll down to IANhttp://www.freshpatents.com/Integrated-approach-navigation-system-method-and-computer-program-product-dt20080612ptan20080140270.php if you have patience :)"Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) -- An enhancement to an approach capability, making the pilot interface and procedures very similar to existing approaches. By allowing a common operational approach procedure, this feature minimizes pilot workload and training, reducing 18 separate approach procedures to one."so if your final approach has altitude data available an IAN option will indicate a synthesized GS read-out indication and feed those altitude parameters into the FMC as hard coded with AP coupling with a caution about altimeter cross checks. It can be used only for CAT I approaches at this time. It switches in when raw data is not available as in LOC only approach types with no GS co-located transmitter operative. In other words, looking at the altitude data in the vertical profile on a published plate (and included in subscriptions to coded approach procedures from various sources) would be used.In other words it makes everything look like an ILS approach on the displays but with appropriate cautions.