Sign in to follow this  
AFavors

No brake temps

Hello all, I know I haven't brought this problem up before, but I was quietly hoping someone brought this up in the forum somewhere. If it has been and I missed it... I apologize. However, I've noticed that I'm not getting a brake temperature reading. after touchdown, during taxi, after applying HEAVY Braking, it doesn't really seem to matter. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I use the "carbon brakes" option in the "aircraft" menu. But recently tried to do it with standard brakes and still no temp reading. As I know this can't be normal, I'm asking does anyone else have or have already fixed this problem? I thought it might have been something addressed in SP1b but that still hasn't done it, for me at least. Though I'm not RW pilot, or completely compouter saavy, It could be a mistake on my end!! So just checking.

How long are you waiting between landing and checking the brake temps? It takes quite some time before the temperature begins to register because the heat has to spread through the components before it reaches the brake temp sensors. Even then, the heat at the sensors will continue to build over several minutes, so it might take ten minutes or so before it peaks.If you think you are having a problem, then try a rejected takeoff at MTOW and close to V1 and stop with only autobrake on RTO. Come back after ten minutes, and the brake temps should be through the roof.

Regards,

PD

Hi Aaron,There seems to be temperature issues with certain individuals,me being one of them.I have had a friend carry out landings with his PMDG AircraftSame AirportSame AircraftSame Fuel LoadSame Passenger/Cargo LoadSame Time of DaySame Weather/TemperatureSame Landing SpeedSame AutobrakesAlso Manual Braking Normal & HardHe has temperature readings showing by the time he pulls up on stand & they continue to increasewhile on stand.But my Aircraft remains at ZERO Temp no matter how long I park it up for (30-45mins)The only time I get any sort of rise in Temp, is extreme high landing speeds & then immediateRTO's.Even then it is only in the low temperature range.http://forum.avsim.n...__fromsearch__1I can't beleive that a real 737 landing, regardless of weight, does not create a temperature riseof some sort.CheersPaul.

I can't help but smile when I read some of these threads !If you guys only knew the amount of stuff that does not work properly on brand new 737NG's.I am talking now about some recent deliveries to Ryanair of brand new Boeing 737-800's.The pilots in Ireland have told me that there are problems with the packs and the pressurization panel.They mostly use the Manual setting on the pressuriazation panel because of the erratic behaviour of the gauges.There are lots more little things but is so funny to constantly read that guys actually expect the NGX to be perfect in every way.The real planes are FAR from being perfect..........even brand new ones !( I could write a book about all the problems I have seen on NG's over the years )Fred.

Hi Fred,I take your point about " Things" not working correctly on new aircraft,but I doubt verymuch any aircraft, Boeing or otherwise is delivered with with the issuethat is being discussed here. :smile:I just can't get my head round the fact,that if everyone is using the same download/base model installer,why do some people get temperature readings & others don't. :Thinking:Cheers,Paul.

If you think you are having a problem, then try a rejected takeoff at MTOW and close to V1 and stop with only autobrake on RTO. Come back after ten minutes, and the brake temps should be through the roof.
Thanks Phillip...hadn't thought of that. But I have checked periodiacally between flights, while preparing the next flight out, and still no temps. I'll try the RTO method on my next T/O
There are lots more little things but is so funny to constantly read that guys actually expect the NGX to be perfect in every way.
Although that wasn't specifically directed at me...I still feel the need to clarify, LOL!! I in no way expect the NGX or other aircraft to be perfect, but like I said in my original post...I was just checking to make sure it wasn't "Pilot Error", if u will.

This might be of some help !***************************************************************************The temperature rise on the brakes will vary widely depending upon the temperature of the brake pad at the start of braking, the weight of the airplane, the speed of the airplane, the amount of energy absorbed from the airplane's velocity, etc.At lower weights/speeds it is possible that you may not see any registered brake temperature at all initially, and even after allowing time for thermal heat transfer, you may only see a very low number.Prior to SP1 we had the energy transfer calculation set a bit too aggressively. I revisited the physics behind the energy transfer and this caused a change in the computational method used- but it should now match the airplane in most circumstances.One item that is worth noting: We had to make a bit of compromise in the lower ABRK settings because the ground friction model in FSX is completely wrong. The rate of speed loss with simple dynamic rolling on a hard surface is far to great in FSX- and since we are actually calculating a live deceleration rate using the autobrake, there are times when our brake controller may reduce the brake pressure significantly below what it would be on the real airplane, but it must do this in order to obtain the correct rate of deceleration... (Imagine the runways covered in Peanut Butter... that is basically what ACES did with the ground friction model in FSX... )Thus at light weights with lower ABRK settings, the temperature may tend to undershoot slightly... Posted by R S Randazzo...........Oct 29th.*******************************************************************************************************************Fred.

I can't help but smile when I read some of these threads !If you guys only knew the amount of stuff that does not work properly on brand new 737NG's.I am talking now about some recent deliveries to Ryanair of brand new Boeing 737-800's.The pilots in Ireland have told me that there are problems with the packs and the pressurization panel.They mostly use the Manual setting on the pressuriazation panel because of the erratic behaviour of the gauges.There are lots more little things but is so funny to constantly read that guys actually expect the NGX to be perfect in every way.The real planes are FAR from being perfect..........even brand new ones !( I could write a book about all the problems I have seen on NG's over the years )Fred.
Very interesting......

well... I landed, cleared the runway, taxiied to the gate, shut down and deboarded(checking the temps periodically), and still straight zero's across the system screen for brake temps. Next I'll try a RTO and see what happens.

well... I landed, cleared the runway, taxiied to the gate, shut down and deboarded(checking the temps periodically), and still straight zero's across the system screen for brake temps. Next I'll try a RTO and see what happens.
An RTO seems to be about the best way to warm up the old temps. I only rejected at 100K and had about a 2.8, but by dragging the inside brake a little in turns, I was up to about 3.8 by the time I got to the gate (all this at EDLP, a fairly short taxi).

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

Herman,You were exactly right. did a RTO at KORD 32L from just before v1.Temps shot up to about 3.0, 4.3 by the time I taxied back to the runway for departure again. Thanks for all the help. I guess, in retrospect, I was actually doing something right for a change. Meaning, I wasn't stressing the aircraft to bad with my landings or braking habits.lol Not to mention I generally don't use the auto brakes on landings unless its a very short runway (less than 8000ft), or am at maximum weight capacity.the highest setting I've had to use was 2 when landing at KSNA 19R which was only 5701ft.