Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Question on starting engines

Hey gang,Ok so this will probably be a dumb question on my part, but I don't seem to get it.I mainly fly the default 737, and have been using the start all engines command .So, if I wanted to start each engine individually, how do I go about doing that?I see there are commands for selecting each engine, like E+1 for engine one, etc. But it appears to me allthat does, is set it to where I only control the engine one throttle if I select that - how does one start say engine one, then later start engine two?Thanks for any tips here,

Look around where the light switches are, on the overhead panel. Right above the compass, there are two switches that read "GRD" and "FLT". in the middle of those two switches, there's a switch that reads "BOTH", "IGN L" and "IGN R". all you have to do is flick this switch left (to start engine #1) and right (to start engine #2). You also have to monitor the engine "N1" status on the Engine display (the one to the far right on the 2D panel). Once this percentage reads 15%, turn on the fuel via the levers behind the throttles. You have to repeat this for each engine.If you're looking for more realism, I recommend the PMDG 737NGX, It's superb and a joy to fly.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks for that Kevin - I think I found the switches you mention, when I autostart all engines, I can see it flipping the left switch first, then the left engine starts to wind up, then catches and fires on up - then it switches to the right flip switch, the right engine then winds up , catches and fires on up.I tried doing each manually rather than selecting to auto start all engines, each will start to wind up, then winds back down and never fires up - I must be missing a step somewhere...

Thanks again Kevin, I must have missed that last part, will give it a try later this morning.I have thought about getting the PMDG 737 NGX, just not sure I want to get into anything that complex yet, as I mainly enjoy just flying...Thanks,

I tried doing each manually rather than selecting to auto start all engines, each will start to wind up, then winds back down and never fires up - I must be missing a step somewhere...
Ah, I forgot to mention the part about fuel. :Doh:When you click on the engine starters, look at the MFD (the screen in the middle of the panel (in the VC), or to the far right if you're using the 2D panel) and look at the "N1" reading. When it reaches 15%, go to the throttle quadrant and click on the fuel lever (The small levers behind the throttles) for the engine that you're starting. The engine should then spool up. :smile:Just a quick tip about the 737NGX, you can fly around manually without programming the FMC etc., you just have to set the flaps, trim and open the throttle. :(

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Well drats, I still must be missing something.Ok here is what I tried:When I get in my VC, I noticed the fuel switches are already on. I left them that way, tried starting the left engine, it started winding up, then wound down again.I then shut both fuel switches to closed, flipped the switch for the left engine, then opened the fuel switch - still same result.I also notice, on the N1 display readout, it only gets to like 4.1, then winds down again. I also noticed, when I autostart the engines, the fuel switch for the engine being started flips open immediately.I still must be missing something, probably something really simple....Thanks again for the help, I am sure I am close here.

If it's spooling up to a point and not starting then it must be getting air from the APU, but no fuel. Silly question (but it's happened to me before!) is there fuel in the tanks?

Right above the compass, there are two switches that read "GRD" and "FLT". in the middle of those two switches, there's a switch that reads "BOTH", "IGN L" and "IGN R". all you have to do is flick this switch left (to start engine #1) and right (to start engine #2).
I can hardly remember... but is the default 737 really that wrong? It should be banned! One day when dburne tries to steal a real 737, it's not going to end well :)

If it's spooling up to a point and not starting then it must be getting air from the APU, but no fuel. Silly question (but it's happened to me before!) is there fuel in the tanks?I can hardly remember... but is the default 737 really that wrong? It should be banned! One day when dburne tries to steal a real 737, it's not going to end well :)
Yep, it has plenty of fuel - it autostarts just fine, I just can't seem to get it to fire up manually.Lol, maybe it is time I took the plunge and purchased a real 737...

Yep, it has plenty of fuel - it autostarts just fine, I just can't seem to get it to fire up manually.
Well you're not going mad. I'm wondering if starting the real thing is not actually easier than this. I just tried and it has a mind of its own. Couldn't start them, then eventually got it to a point where just flipping the fuel switches on started both engines without touching the ignition switches. I have no idea what it's doing, it's not only wrong but also seems to change its mind every time you try it. And even the checklist says "Press Ctrl+E to start engines". I don't think they want you to start them manually because I don't think they bothered to make it possible.Also noticed that some switches on the 2D panel are in opposite positions to the ones in the VC, like the crossfeed valve and retractable lights. I don't think anyone at Microsoft bothered to test it, so you probably shouldn't either.

Great, thanks for checking that for me on your end, so it is not just something I am not doing correctly, that is good to know.I only fly the VC so have not seen the differences in the 2d panels, that is crazy.I guess I should consider taking the plunge with say the PMDG, just concerned about a huge learning curve... I am on vacation right now, but normally my time is very limited.

No worries, work is kinda slow this time of year :) I just hope I'm not doing something stupid, maybe it is possible, but whatever it takes involves some very weird and irrelevant combination of switches. I also fly VC only but with these default aircraft, half the buttons are only available on the 2D popups anyway. I'd say if you want to fly a jet, try the CRJ700. It's still very basic but if I recall correctly it does at least "work".The PMDG is incredible but yeah, complex. I always want to to say yes get it get it! But if you have no experience at all of complex airliners, it could be very frustrating. If you have some time though it can be incredibly rewarding to learn. Your machine can certainly take it too :) I actually just laughed when I saw 100fps with the default FSX 737, just shows how little is going on in the background. But your machine is great for any addon aircraft & you'll never go back.