Sign in to follow this  
Greg Goodavish

Order of installation

I currently have the 737NGX for FSX. I also have all of the PMDG aircraft for FS9. I was thinking of purchasing the MD11 for FSX as well, but am wondering if it will mess up the NGX installation, as I know in FS9 you needed to install the aircraft in a certain order. Is that true of FSX, and do I need to uninstall the NGX, install the MD11, and then reinstall the NGX, or can I leave the NGX as is, and just install the MD11? Hope this made sense. :(

Greg Goodavish

As far as I know you can install the NGX and MD-11 in any order. Though the NGX comes with a navigation database that is more current than the one that comes with the MD-11 so I think you need to install the NGX first (not really sure...).

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

As far as I know you can install the NGX and MD-11 in any order. Though the NGX comes with a navigation database that is more current than the one that comes with the MD-11 so I think you need to install the NGX first (not really sure...).
think you got it mixed up if going by your thinking if the ngx is more current than it should be installed last :) been told tha you install old to new than you wont have any troubles

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi Greg, I always find oldest to newest is best, just in case. However, I would imagine that PMDG would make some sort of statement in the code to "not" overwrite certain files if found to be newer. I'm not a developer but that much of code I do know.The only thing that I add to my full reinstall is to always download the latest C++ runtimes for every category, after I have everything installed. By the time you've just installed the PMDG fleet alone, you're going to have a cluster of C++ entries installed. I imagine that developers don't take the time to write a script to see if they're installed because of either windows protecting them or just the amount of possible support related issues from those that just think they don't need them and clicking an option not to install them, but in any case, you'll have much more than you'll need. After a complete reinstall of FS(X) and all of my addons, I uninstall all the C++ crap cluttering my AddRemove programs and reinstall the latest for each. So if you have a 64bit OS, you would need 4 C++ runtimes installed.

• 2005 (x86)
  • 2005 (x64)
  • 2008 (x86)
  • 2008 (x64)

2005, 2008 and 2010 runtimes are not the same, so you would never only install the 2 for 2010 thinking you're covered because you certainly won't be. I choose to install the latest 2010 as well, but not needed for anything FSX related that I know of. I use all sort of things though that the average simmer might not so for me it's normal maintenance on updated them, Python, and also .Net (You do not need Python).If you decide to install the latest .Net (I recommend it), and you have restore on, I recommend creating a restore point prio. 13rd of the redistrib packages that I've downloaded and installed have been a nightmare so better safe than sorry. A lot of addons use .Net framework. Also, if you manually install .Net with Win7, it may shut it off. I've had this happen on two separate installs and had to turn it back on in group policies. Last but certainly not least, be careful on auto updates with .net. There are times there will be 2 or more updates for it and installing both at the same time can make your computer not bootable (saw this recently).Peter's correct also in that you seem to have it backwards in your description, so if there is no date checker on files during installer, the NGX install would be last in your order.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I currently have the 737NGX for FSX. I also have all of the PMDG aircraft for FS9. I was thinking of purchasing the MD11 for FSX as well, but am wondering if it will mess up the NGX installation, as I know in FS9 you needed to install the aircraft in a certain order. Is that true of FSX, and do I need to uninstall the NGX, install the MD11, and then reinstall the NGX, or can I leave the NGX as is, and just install the MD11? Hope this made sense. :(
GregThis is from a post I made in the PMDG General Forum on Dec 21, 2011. "I had the MD-11X installed for almost two years prior to the NGX being released. Because of issues involving the MD-11X and FSDT KLAX and KDFW I uninstalled, paid $5 and downloaded it using the Extended Download Sevice and reinstalled it. So I believe that is an answer to you install order. I don't believe it makes any difference.Michael Cubine

Well.it does. You install 744 first - MD-11 - NGX in that order. Do it any other way and you'll suffer display problems. I have just had to reload all mine because of that.

Dave Taylor gb.png

can PMDG please confirm if the above is the case? I am not willing to "risk" a working system now and then having MD-11 screwing things up/Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I had no issues insatalling NGX then MD11

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020