Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Carenado C208B question

In adddition to the Carenado C208B Grand Caravan for FSX you can also buy C208B SUPER CARGOMASTER EXP. PACK. I wan't to know if that expansion adds anything more then pure visuals? If so what?Also I would like to know how performence is with this plane compared to for example Quest Codiak (that I have)?

The C208 is a bit heavier on frame rates than the Kodiak, especially when you have the weather radar turned on. I replaced the GNS430 in mine with a mod by Bliksimpie and that helped the frame rate a lot. The Caravan has a wonderful flight model and gorgeous textures. It has become one of my favorite planes. I never bought the freight expansion so I can't comment on that.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

The C208 is a bit heavier on frame rates than the Kodiak, especially when you have the weather radar turned on. I replaced the GNS430 in mine with a mod by Bliksimpie and that helped the frame rate a lot. The Caravan has a wonderful flight model and gorgeous textures. It has become one of my favorite planes. I never bought the freight expansion so I can't comment on that.
I thought (hoped) that it would be the other way around because of the G1000 in Kodiak. What kind of mod is that and where can it be found? Maybe I should mention mysystem spec and say that I fly in ORBX NA sceneryPhenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz4 Gb PC6400 RAMNVIDIA GTS250 1 GbWin 7 x64

I find the Kodiak a lot more fun than the Caravan. Flying the C208 was like driving a bus, after driving anSUV for a while.The Kodiak is still in my hangar (although my favorite plane for the PNW is actually the Bonanza)but the Caravan has since moved off my harddrive.. it is a bit of a beast to fly, which I gatheris entirely realistic.. but as said, not as much fun!

Bert

I like the realism of the C208 flight dynamics. I have often wondered if the Kodiak flight model is just a little bit "too good to be true." I know that the RW Kodiak is a phenomenal aircraft, but sometimes it seems a bit too easy to me.

I like the realism of the C208 flight dynamics. I have often wondered if the Kodiak flight model is just a little bit "too good to be true." I know that the RW Kodiak is a phenomenal aircraft, but sometimes it seems a bit too easy to me.
Why should it be "too good to be true"? When I first bought the Kodiak I thought it were unrealistic since it was so jerky and not smooth in the handling. But after upgrading the CPU from AMD X2 6000+ to a Phenom II X4 it feels less jerky and smoother.

By "easy" I mean that it seems to me, and it's just my opinion, that the plane can land and take off so effortlessly that the flight dynamics seem easier to handle than a RW aircraft would be. I have done some amazing short field landings in the Kodiak and its STOL at times seems to be almost like a helicopter. I wasn't referring to system performance there. It seems like it flies almost too well in the simulation. Don't get me wrong. I love the plane and I have hundreds of hours in it. It's just that after flying a lot of others, I have developed some questions about the realism of the flight dynamics.

By "easy" I mean that it seems to me, and it's just my opinion, that the plane can land and take off so effortlessly that the flight dynamics seem easier to handle than a RW aircraft would be. I have done some amazing short field landings in the Kodiak and its STOL at times seems to be almost like a helicopter. I wasn't referring to system performance there. It seems like it flies almost too well in the simulation. Don't get me wrong. I love the plane and I have hundreds of hours in it. It's just that after flying a lot of others, I have developed some questions about the realism of the flight dynamics.
So maybe the Carenado C208 would give a more realistic flying experience compared to the Quest kodiak?

So maybe the Carenado C208 would give a more realistic flying experience compared to the Quest kodiak?
That's how it seems to me, and this stuff is very subjective, but I'm a bug about "realism" (or as close to it as a desktop simulator can get). I have my realism sliders all the way to right, because that's the way I like to operate. It's just more satisfying to me. This is me being subjective again, but the Caravan "feels" more like a big, powerful but somewhat ungainly bush plane should feel like. When I watch "Flying Wild Alaska" and see those guys wrestling with those Caravans trying to get the wheels on the pavement in a 20 knot wind, that squares with the way I experience the Caravan in the simulator. I don't know as much about the Kodiak, and I really admire Lionheart's model. I am not as clear on what the RW Kodiak will do. I do know that I get a realistic, immersive experience with the Grand Caravan from Carenado.

In adddition to the Carenado C208B Grand Caravan for FSX you can also buy C208B SUPER CARGOMASTER EXP. PACK. I wan't to know if that expansion adds anything more then pure visuals? If so what?
It just adds the cargo model. You can open the cargo door and the cabin windows are blinded.To my knowledge, that's about it.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg