Sign in to follow this  
Even92LN

APP-button lamp goes black when aircraft is established

Hi!I just uploaded some screenshots of the beatiful NGX on facebook, and a senior 737NG captain in Scandinavian Airlies (one of my fb friends) commented on my photos and said that in real world, the APP-button on the NG MCP does not turn black when the aircraft gets established, like it does on the NGX. So from what I understand, this must be a bug from PMDGs side. It's not a big deal and has no impact on the flying experience at all, but since it's a PMDG addon, it wouldn't hurt if this very little, but visible detail was correctly simulated. Shouldn't be too hard to fix either I guess...Just a little nitpicking from me...And, I will also take the opportunity to wish all forum members and the PMDG team a very merry Christmas!Best regardsEven

In the RW (and NGX) the APP switch light extinguishes after localizer & glideslope capture.It has always been this way on 737's. ( classics and NG's )Even the FCOM's confirm this.Your friend must be confusing this with something else ?(Maybe an FTD with Project Magenta software. PM's MCP software gets this wrong and although I reported that to them over 3 years ago it still is not fixed.)Fred.

Fred,is that the case too in single channel approach? I think it stays lighted in that mode and only goes dark if both AP are online.

Fred,is that the case too in single channel approach? I think it stays lighted in that mode and only goes dark if both AP are online.
Yes !!Fred.

The APP arm the LOC and G/S capture, when both are captured FD and AP mode changes to approach mode.The light will extinguish also if you're hand flying as the logic is also for the FD (FD is part of the autopilot).

Regards

Andrea Daviero

This is not a bug. The MCP button lights extinguish once the LOC and GS are captured to let you know that you're locked into the APP modes and can't disengage them by pressing the button again. The only ways to get out of them are executing a go around or by cycling both FDs off and back on. The same thing happens during a takeoff with TOGA.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This video illustrates clearly the APP light going out when the LOC and GS is captured, it's about 20secs in.

OK, I guess your'e right then... Perhaps we misunderstood each other.. Well, this is what he wrote about the image below: "I can see the APP mode is not engaged, but you still have capture on GP/LOC"I told him that on the NGX the APP button extinguishes when the aircraft gets established, and I asked him if this is how it works in real life too, but he said "no".SAS4756final0.jpg

They might have some kinda option for this.Also you are flying dual channel approach here, where APP light most definitely goes out. Only "normal" way to leave APP mode is to enter automatic G/A mode, or to reset both AP computers (by cycling FDs)also you seem to be approaching at Vref speed, that is not correct, Vapp should be between Vref+5 and Vref+20.(curios though. Is that a real config? I thought ISFDs only came after Collins MCPs were mounted.)

The APP phase is divided in 3 phases, and more divided by GS and LOC:We have the LOC ARM, LOC Capture and LOC intercept then, GS ARM, GS capture.When both are in armed mode either with aircraft manually flown (CWS) or by AP the light is ON indicating our choice.On FMA you will see LOC and G/S white under the active modes.You have capture when the FMA changes to LOC and/or GS are captured. The light will extinguish to inform you that it is became active and cannot be disengaged with the button.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

And..............just a few more tips for the future !1. After localizer capture, change your heading to be the same as your course. (runway heading) 194 in this case.2. After glideslope capture, set your missed approach altitude.3. Only land with flaps 40 if it is really necessary ! Flaps 40 provides NO lift and only drag. ( flaps 30 would be a better choice. )4. An easy way to get your landing REF + 5 is to just park the speed bug on top of the green REF numbers. ( you can confirm this by looking at the descent page on the CDU. ) Your flap speeds are actually " speed restrictions ".5. It can be good to remember that the APP mode is the ONLY AFDS mode that calculates/controls Thrust, Pitch and RollI hope you find these tips helpful.Merry Christmas !!Fred.

The only ways to get out of them are executing a go around or by cycling both FDs off and back on.
Only "normal" way to leave APP mode is to enter automatic G/A mode, or to reset both AP computers (by cycling FDs)
Or by retuning the NAV receiver(s).

Matt Cee