Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

CYVR Vancouver released

Santa dropped a new scenery which looks very good for us fs9ers, it's been uploaded in the avsim library yesterday, for those of you who might have missed it. Thank you Jonathan Gabbert :(http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search
Wow - this is incredible! It is arguably the best piece of freeware airport scenery I have ever seen. Indeed I have paid good money for payware airport scenery which is well below the standard achieved here. No texture problems either! Thank you Jonathan for your magnificent work.Bill
  • Upvote 1

That looks awesome! Might it also work in FSX?
Sadly, it doesn't even work in FS2004 properly. I do not understand why developers never seem to check their AFD files for errors. Whichever software they are using, the facility exists. This one has dozens, probably hundreds of errors. Many may not be significant but the majority of the hold shorts are way too far from the runway and will give trouble with AI traffic.
If you are having a problem with ground textures bleeding through, you need to adjust the elevation of AP915140 in the Scenery/Namw scenery to the same value as the AFCAD file. Use JABBgl to set Vancouver International to 4.31 metres. If you don't know how to do this, send me a PM and I'll send you the corrected file.
I thought a replacement file was included, or is that one wrong? (Although I discarded mine as I prefer not to tamper with my default files if there is another way to do it).John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Sadly, it doesn't even work in FS2004 properly. I do not understand why developers never seem to check their AFD files for errors. Whichever software they are using, the facility exists. This one has dozens, probably hundreds of errors. Many may not be significant but the majority of the hold shorts are way too far from the runway and will give trouble with AI traffic.I thought a replacement file was included, or is that one wrong? (Although I discarded mine as I prefer not to tamper with my default files if there is another way to do it).John
Hi JohnIt's very possible he has added a replacement file - when I first downloaded it there wasn't one so I created my own but I'm sure he got some feedback. It's a great scenery and I have had zero problems since doing a couple of little fixes. (Just the elevation and the prop textures on a WoAI Jazz Dash-8Have a great New Year my friendIan

Hi JohnIt's very possible he has added a replacement file - when I first downloaded it there wasn't one so I created my own but I'm sure he got some feedback. It's a great scenery and I have had zero problems since doing a couple of little fixes. (Just the elevation and the prop textures on a WoAI Jazz Dash-8Have a great New Year my friendIan
For me, changing the taxiways in the AFD file from Apron Links to Taxi Links (which is what they should be, of course) resolved the ground display issue. That really seems a better way to me than modifying base files. AI traffic will still presumably sit 0.14 ft lower than the airport - mine seem OK so maybe that's such a small figure to be negligable. But that could be easily fixed, too, if a problem.Thanks for the kind wishes.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

In the download there is a World folder with a AF2_CYVR_ALT.bgl , this goes into the FS Scenery / World / Scenery folder.That should fix any texture bleeding problems.Pete.

It's amazing and humbling to read Jonathon's comments on his website at the above link. Here's a guy who has given us an amazing, freeware scenery that is payware quality and he thanks us for downloading it and is anxious to update it in response to feedback! WOW.... The people in this hobby (with a few exceptions) really are fantastic folks! Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world was like this? If you read this Jonathon, thank you!!!!!Ian

I wish I could help Malcolm but I can't replicate the problem. I also use (and love) FlyTampa's KSFO - but I also have the Megascenery Northern California photoreal scenery. All I can tell you, which doesn't help you at all, is that I've never had a problem with it. But I have always found FlyTampa very responsive so I encourage you to go their forum and if there isn't already a fix, ask them about itAre you using the original FlyTampa AFCAD or one you have downloaded or modified?To check whether it's an elevation conflict, open your AFCAD for SFO and get the elevation (in meters) from the airport datum point. Then use JABBgl - a freeware utility - to open the KSFO airport file in the scenery/Namw/scenery folder and make sure it is the same as the AFCAD. If it isn't, adjust it to the same elevation as the AFCAD using JABBgl. (It will make an automatic backup so don't worry that you are going to create a monster)Good luckIan

Was an update ever released for this scenery (site seems to be down now)?  I'm getting building crashes in the middle of rwy 26L/08R, not sure if this has been addressed.  Thx.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Was an update ever released for this scenery

I know it's an old thread but I just explored this airport and have the same question. I'm getting some stutters and FS is crashing after I leave this airport. Looks great so would like to keep it. Many user replacement files discussed in the thread can anyone pass these on via PM as the developer appears to have gone.

Mark Daniels

This thread made me download it today and I tried to install it but it wont work.

I cant add it to the scenery library in fs9 menu.

I had no trouble adding it manually to the scenery when I installed it. My entry is:-

[Area.081]
Title=Vancouver
Local=D:\Flight Sim 9\Scenery\Canada\Vancouver Area v1.0\CYVR\Scenery
Active=True
Required=FALSE
Remote=
Layer=81

Just change the Area/Layer and the Local address and try that. 

I've had no trouble with FS9 crashing at any stage of use.  I do get occasional stutters using it with the LevelD 767 but I'm only using an "Intel Dual core @ 3Gh".

Colin B

I will try adding it manually. Never done that before with a scenery but it can't be that difficult.

I added it manually no problems. I also found the crash was not related to this airport. Stutters are there and this is a common problem I've found across many other airports. Stutters are a little worse at this one. Intend to look into problems like stutters at a later stage. Too busy just exploring the many great FS9 airports for now.

Mark Daniels