Sign in to follow this  
Engjell Berisha

3rd Engine APU Smart?

The aircraft is a 767, I was thinking perhaps it would be a good idea to create a 3rd engine locate it in the center of the aircraft and make it's thrust 0 just to provide electrical power as a pseudo APU linked to my XML APU. I've heard this idea tossed about but never experimented with it myself. Is this a feasible idea, has anyone on here tried it, does it have any adverse affects? This is FS9 & X.Happy Holiday's to all!

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Just how do you plan to set its thrust to zero? AFAIK, there's only one definition for thrust, etc. that applies to all engines equally.If you could discover a way to inhibit the power lever (throttle) for the "APU engine" to keep it at idle thrust, that could work, but I don't think you can do that without calling on a registered version of FSUIPC to intercept and block throttle #3...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,A search will show related problems.I abandonned fs elec-sys almost a decade ago.With L:Vars one can build an almost 100% realistic elec (and other) system.I did, i think....Jan

The general consensus seems to be that it is not feasible/useful from what I understand.Jan, I've done the same thing but the one thing I can't is to get the FS lighting system to stay on past the fs battery dieing or the radios to work.Father Bill, that is what I suspected. I was thinking perhaps have a code that would only allow this engine to run hypothetically while the other engines or the real engines if you will were off. This would allow me to have power in an event such as a dual engine failure with RAT out and I would need a generator from FS to power the battery or else the radios don't work.There may be a work around but perhaps I will try it. Now one other question, to add this engine for the purpose of using it's gen I would only need to edit the CFG file as I don't want the plane to behave as if it had another engine - aerodynamically speaking - I just want some electricity. :(

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Well, for FSX the problem is easily solved, but understandably cannot be used in FS9. The best I've ever managed is create a custom system such as Jan has mentioned, but rely on a registered FSUIPC to provide either an eternal, or at least a very long lived battery!One possible approach that would not require FSUIPC, would be to "throttle gag" the "third jet engine" by sending a throttle_set command to zero out any attempt via keyboard or external lever to increase power. Something along the order of (pseudo code):(throttle3,percent) 0 > if{ 0 (>K:throttle3_set) }This would provide electrical power as long as the "APU engine" was running, but without anything more than idle thrust. It might be necessary to wrap this script into a timed loop to prevent server flooding from a constantly firing key_event. A one second timer would work well.

Fr. Bill    

Well, for FSX the problem is easily solved, but understandably cannot be used in FS9. The best I've ever managed is create a custom system such as Jan has mentioned, but rely on a registered FSUIPC to provide either an eternal, or at least a very long lived battery!One possible approach that would not require FSUIPC, would be to "throttle gag" the "third jet engine" by sending a throttle_set command to zero out any attempt via keyboard or external lever to increase power. Something along the order of (pseudo code):(throttle3,percent) 0 > if{ 0 (>K:throttle3_set) }
I had the exact same thought, but would imagine that it might result in the engine being "jumpy" if you will. For example when the AT is on. It maybe worth a try however.

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Hi,Not sure, but with fsuipc you can have eternal elec power from fs.i don't use it.jani write and think too slow..

I had the exact same thought, but would imagine that it might result in the engine being "jumpy" if you will. For example when the AT is on. It maybe worth a try however.
If it were a piston engine it probably would. Given the slow spoolup times for turbine engines though, I shouldn't think it'd really be noticed.

Fr. Bill    

If it were a piston engine it probably would. Given the slow spoolup times for turbine engines though, I shouldn't think it'd really be noticed.
Hadn't thought of that father. I tested the theory however the fuel flows are not manageable and that is not worth the small corrections it makes. I have now abandoned the 3rd engine APU idea.If anyone could help me with this question I've got I would greatly appreciate it. I've created a simple little LVar to act as my Standby VHF COM1 and 2 as I needed to replicate a particular behavior that the default standby radio system does not do. I've got the transfer sequence working perfectly however, I always get odd numbers.For example if I dial in 122.800 in my LVar Standby and transfer to the FS radio then it will give me 122.799.This is the simple code I use. I can't understand why it goes to .799 if it's a clean .80000000000000000 when I test to see. I use the same transfer code I've used for years!
<Area Left="090" Right="110" Top="510" Bottom="525"><Cursor Type="Hand"/><Click>(A:COM2 ACTIVE FREQUENCY,MHz) sp1(L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz) 100 * 10000 % int d 10 % r 10 / int d 10 % r 10 / int d 10 % r 10 / int 16 * + 16 * + 16 * +(>K:COM2_RADIO_SET)l1 (>L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz)</Click></Area>  <Area Left="135" Right="145" Top="505" Bottom="530">	<Cursor Type="DownArrow"/>	<Click>(L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz) 0.025 - (>L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz)</Click>  </Area>  <Area Left="145" Right="155" Top="505" Bottom="530">	<Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>	<Click>(L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz) 0.025 + (>L:VHF-COMM-2-STBY,MHz)</Click>  </Area>

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha