Sign in to follow this  
JamesC

Graphics Problem: Colour banding in sky

Hi All,I dont normally give up but despite persistance I cant seem to fix this one and I am turning to you all for advice. I have trawelled the inter-web for an answer but cant seem to locate this exact problem/solution.In FSX with any aircraft I am getting horrid looking colour bands in the sky scenery instead of nice graduations in the shades.This is especially pronounced at dusk/dawn and is so bad at night I just dont fly at that time. I have attached a couple of pics to illustrate. Now it maybe that Im picky or over critical but this doesnt seem to match with many other screenshots I see from various FSX users. My system specs are:i7 960 (8 core)@3.2GHz24Gb RAMXFX Radeon HD6790 with 1Gb memory running @ 1900x1200x32 on a Dell 2407WFP (24") monitorWin7 Ultimate 64-bitI have all the usual tweeks in the fsx.cfg (HIGHMEMFIX, WideViewAspect etc). My graphics drivers are up to date (11.12 catalyst) and I am letting my CCC control the graphics (see screen shot).Any help much appreciated.ThanksJames

Hi James,Do you have the "light bloom" box checked in your scenery settings? If so, un-check that box and see if that doesn't help you.Cheers,John

Hi John,I can confirm that light bloom is unchecked.Just to add I use REX2 textures if that makes a difference.ThanksJames

One possibility could be usng 16 bit colour rather than 32 bit. Check under the display device section in the fsx.cfg.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Ian,Here is the settings in the cfg file:[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series .0]Mode=1920x1200x32Anisotropic=1Antialias=1So that should be 32-bit.CheersJames

I'd like to bump this as I'm having the same issue in addition to my sky texture problem I posted about which is now on the second page. Like James, I am running 32 for colors and this banding shows up mostly at night, and with aircraft lights on the runway and taxiway. Instead of there being a gradual diffusion of light color, there are distinct bands.

Hi all (and to those interested),After much angst I have now solved this issue and couldn't believe how simple it was in the end - well required a bit of research. The problem for me was the fact that the monitors calibration wasn't optimised. I read through all of:http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html I then used the test patterns with CCC colour optimiser and bingo the problem is pretty well gone. Turns out the are fundamental limits in the monitor I have that means there will always be a small about of banding but now it's not obvious while flying and night time textures are fly able again. I hope this helps others with the same issue ... and prevents the pain of thinking its graphics card related. CheersJames

Hi all (and to those interested),After much angst I have now solved this issue and couldn't believe how simple it was in the end - well required a bit of research. The problem for me was the fact that the monitors calibration wasn't optimised. I read through all of:http://www.normankor...neprints1A.htmlI then used the test patterns with CCC colour optimiser and bingo the problem is pretty well gone.James
Which one did you use ? ThanksV