Sign in to follow this  
Tallguy

how does one crab with the 737?

Yes, I was talking about crabbing (where the plane is flying towards the rwy but the nose is in the wind direction,wings level). I don' t want the AP to align the plane for me, i'd like practice this technique myself wind a fair deal of crosswind and seeing the rwy through the side window.

In that case: just steer the aircraft as you normally would, but remember that where you're actually going is somewhat to the left or to the right of where your nose is pointing. Switching on the flight path vector on the PFD and/or using the HGS can help you see where your plane is actually going. So basically you would point your nose to the up-wind side of the runway, using normal control techniques and then adjust as necessary to ensure you are flying towards the runway.In general it's good to remember that where your nose is pointing is only roughly related to where your plane is actually going.John-Alan Pascoe

Of course, not to forget when side slipping, the speed of the aircraft can increase significantly. I recently side slipped, quite severely, the Katana, only to damage the flaps and then had to sit at Darrington while I carried out a virtual repair :( EDIT: Also not to forget when flying a strong cross wind element, if the aircraft is flying too cross wind to the tarmac, then to turn the plane along the runway line at the last minute otherwise severe damage can be done to the landing gear!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

To side slip an airliner into an airfield with a 25kt crosswind component would be suicide. You would never ever do that in real life!!!vololiberista

In that case: just steer the aircraft as you normally would, but remember that where you're actually going is somewhat to the left or to the right of where your nose is pointing. Switching on the flight path vector on the PFD and/or using the HGS can help you see where your plane is actually going. So basically you would point your nose to the up-wind side of the runway, using normal control techniques and then adjust as necessary to ensure you are flying towards the runway.In general it's good to remember that where your nose is pointing is only roughly related to where your plane is actually going.John-Alan Pascoe
At the risk of sounding like a complete and utter fool, how do you turn on the flight path vector on the PFD??ThanksMatt

There is a button for that on EFIS MCP. IIRC, it is a round button upper middle of the panel, there are two of them, one marked MTRS other FPV.