Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

The N1& Speed Buttons on the MCP - she no work, Lucy!

:( Happy New Year all!Loving my SP1b 737NGX by PMDG! Only small issue, as stated in the title, is the N1 and Speed buttons never seem to light up when I left-click on them? Does anyone know what could be happening there? When should those buttons be able to be clicked on (and light up and remain lit)? Seems I can't do it at ANY time pre-CMD A or afterwards, with both FD's on...Anyone with an idea how I could troubleshoot or resolve, please advise? Thank youins!Robert

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Hmmmm. There's not much use for the SPEED button and if you're using VNAV on departure, there isn't much use for you for the N1 button. They don't really behave like the other buttons on the MCP.When are you trying to use them? Or are you just testing things out?

Matt Cee

So you want to see that speed light come on Robert ?Load the NGX so that it is sitting on the runway with the engines running.1. Arm the autothrottles.2. Press the autopilot CMD button.3. Press ALT HOLD.Voila !! LOL.gif ( a bit of Boeing logic that they do not like to mention in the Fcom's )Fred.

So you want to see that speed light come on Robert ?Load the NGX so that it is sitting on the runway with the engines running.1. Arm the autothrottles.2. Press the autopilot CMD button.3. Press ALT HOLD.Voila !! LOL.gif( a bit of Boeing logic that they do not like to mention in the Fcom's )Fred.
Thanks Fred! I will try when I get home tonight. What about the N1 button? How can I test that? I hate to admit it but I'm having the devil of a time with my 737NGX trying to stall (drop below V1) shortly after TOGA takeoffs! I am uprating (BUMP) to 27K which seems to help a bit, and I have set the climb and cruz to higher than normal speeds (which also seems to help).I vividly recall flying the iFly 737NG and maintaining 180 or better in pretty steep climbs (I am NOT an iFly guy - I don't fly it since getting the PMDG version) so I'm thinking possibly I"m missing something in the setup. I usually fly with the default fuel and cargo load which results in flaps of 6+ and V1 in the 155 range.If one of you super pilots could help a newbie I would be thankful and appreciative! I know, RTFM or BTFV (Buy the Flippin' Video) but I'm saving my money for a real 737! If only I could get UPS to agree to deliver it to my apartment!Thank youins!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hmmmm. There's not much use for the SPEED button and if you're using VNAV on departure, there isn't much use for you for the N1 button. They don't really behave like the other buttons on the MCP.When are you trying to use them? Or are you just testing things out?
I'd love to use VNAV on departure, but typically it won't engage below 1000 feet or am I wrong about that?Thanks!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Robert, the NGX rolls off the factory floor with the latest FMC software, which means that Vnav can be armed on the ground and engaged as soon as 400' AFE. I know lots of companies still prefer to use the N1/Bug up/Level Change way of climbing. But if you arm Vnav on the gorund and engage it 400' or above you´ll still be doing it the Boeing way.

Robert, the NGX rolls off the factory floor with the latest FMC software, which means that Vnav can be armed on the ground and engaged as soon as 400' AFE. I know lots of companies still prefer to use the N1/Bug up/Level Change way of climbing. But if you arm Vnav on the gorund and engage it 400' or above you´ll still be doing it the Boeing way.
Ok-thanks for that tip. I will try that VNAV method tonight and see what happens!Robert

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

as far as lighting up of the buttons goes, remember that the only valid place to look for activation of certain modes is FMA, NOT MCP.

As a matter of fact, I mak it a point to never look at the MCP for confirmation of anything. Always check and trust the FMA. Whatever´s green there is what counts. Well put, Peter.

Ok-thanks for that tip. I will try that VNAV method tonight and see what happens!Robert
I think you´ll find that to be the best method of all. Specially for us simmers who don´t benefit from a copilot to handle the MCP while we´ve got our hands on the yoke. I personally find it very hard to handfly and look towrads the MCP, press N1, Lvl Change and dial up the speed bug (specially because I use track IR with EZCA - makes it hard to have your finger on the dial for more than one second)

As a matter of fact, I mak it a point to never look at the MCP for confirmation of anything. Always check and trust the FMA. Whatever´s green there is what counts. Well put, Peter.I think you´ll find that to be the best method of all. Specially for us simmers who don´t benefit from a copilot to handle the MCP while we´ve got our hands on the yoke. I personally find it very hard to handfly and look towrads the MCP, press N1, Lvl Change and dial up the speed bug (specially because I use track IR with EZCA - makes it hard to have your finger on the dial for more than one second)
Well, I am having problems with my PMDG 737NGX and am asking for help. Do you mean the FMC when you say FMA? N1 doesn't light up under many flight conditions when I press it on the MCP, and same thing happens with SPEED button. I seem to remember on other aircraft I could generall press either of those buttons as long as CMD-A and both FD's were lit up. Not true on MY PMDG 737NGX, so I'm worried I may have a corrupt installation somehow.I don't know the best procedure to remove and then reinstall the PMDG 737NGX. I still have the original download (pre SP1 and pre SP1b). I'm GUESSING that I would remove the airplane, then rerun the original installer and then go directly to SP1b, yes?Driving me a bit crazy. Bought Aerosoft Mega Scenery San Francisco - huge stuttering problem after I installed it, had to revert to a full system backup - anyone else notice that issue with Aerosoft megascenery? I also have Flightbeam Studios' very fine KSFO upgrade airport which has been running just fine with no issues UNTIL I popped the Aerosoft Mega Scenery into the mix.My principal issue at this time is that the airplane itself isn't acting 100% as I believe it should. My #1 concern is loss of airspeed to the point of stalling moments after departure. After climbing above 400 feet and engaging CMD A, the N1 and Speed buttons would NOT light up after pressing them! That makes me think something, she is rotten, in Denmark!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Robert, that seems like problem in understanding the annunciation logic rather than problem with the NGX for me.FMA is flight mode annunciator on top of the PFD. ALWAYS and ONLY refer to this in regard of which autopilot and/or autothrust modes are active and/or armed.

Robert, that seems like problem in understanding the annunciation logic rather than problem with the NGX for me.FMA is flight mode annunciator on top of the PFD. ALWAYS and ONLY refer to this in regard of which autopilot and/or autothrust modes are active and/or armed.
No- the problem I have is when I press N1 or SPEED buttons, they do not ARM or become ACTIVE. This is REGARDLESS of whether or not A/T is active or not. And before I press CMD-A, I can't make N1 or SPEED light up.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

What does FMA say? Once again, buttons lighting up or not is not a valid way to see if such and such regime is active.

No- the problem I have is when I press N1 or SPEED buttons, they do not ARM or become ACTIVE. This is REGARDLESS of whether or not A/T is active or not. And before I press CMD-A, I can't make N1 or SPEED light up.
@ Robert.Take a look at pages 187/188 of the Fcom Vol 2 and you will see an explanation of those 2 switches.I agree with Peter here. You do not seem to fully understand these two modes yet.There is nothing wrong with your installation !Fred.

Thanks to all who replied. I uninstalled, then reinstalled the plane, then I messed with some of the settings in the PMDG configuration screens, and plane is flying great right now, so naturally I took a 'snapshot' system image to protect myself. Still having a few minor issues, but I can fly and control the plane far better than previously, which is great! I am a happy camper.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg