Sign in to follow this  
dutchkip

Out of memory

Hi there,Am flying with the PMDG 737 800ngx and keep running out of memory, I keep on lowering the settings but it makes no difference.I got a AMD Phenom II X4 820 processor 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 3.25 GB usable 32 -bit operating system ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card with 1GB memory on itAny help appreciated.Dutchkip

Unfortunately the 32-bit system is extremely limited. You'll be stuck using pretty low settings & very few other addons. Do a search of the forum for the 3gb switch. That may help. It gives fsx more available memory by taking it away from the system. It may help, but could also cause problems with windows running out of memory, do its your call whether or not you want to try it.

16GB RAM 3.25 GB usable <------ that's the biggest problem. 32 -bit operating system Dutchkip
You're wasting a lot of ram there, you computer is limited to 3.25 gigs of ram to run Windows, any services as well as your flight sim which is very hungry for memory. You need to find a way to upgrade to 64 bit so that you can have all 16 gigs available. I know on my own system, if I reformat and re-install Windoze, I have a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit. Maybe your system does too (?)

Unfortunately the 32-bit system is extremely limited. You'll be stuck using pretty low settings & very few other addons. Do a search of the forum for the 3gb switch. That may help. It gives fsx more available memory by taking it away from the system. It may help, but could also cause problems with windows running out of memory, do its your call whether or not you want to try it.
Thanks Mr Ken,Looked into the switch, but it seems to be for XP.
You're wasting a lot of ram there, you computer is limited to 3.25 gigs of ram to run Windows, any services as well as your flight sim which is very hungry for memory. You need to find a way to upgrade to 64 bit so that you can have all 16 gigs available. I know on my own system, if I reformat and re-install Windoze, I have a choice of 32 bit or 64 bit. Maybe your system does too (?)
Thanks Alky,Ordered windows 7 disks 32 and 64 bit and will install 64 version.I was going to do that in the future, but am bringing it forward a bit.Thanks for your advice.

Thanks Mr Ken,Looked into the switch, but it seems to be for XP.Thanks Alky,Ordered windows 7 disks 32 and 64 bit and will install 64 version.I was going to do that in the future, but am bringing it forward a bit.Thanks for your advice.
FSX is still a 32 bit application and limited to 4GB adress space. I still get OOM errors with 8GB of ram and windows 7 64 bit and am unable to move all sliders to the right with the NGX and add on scenery/REX/UTX/GEX etc. You can still come to a good compromise though if you don't expect miracles.

FSX is still a 32 bit application and limited to 4GB adress space.
True but once he gets 64-bit then windows can move off the 4 gig limitation and use the other 12 gigs he has instead of sharing it with FSX. Right now he is completely wasting 12 gigs of memory with 32-bit.