Sign in to follow this  
halobiont

A Good Landing

Ok, I've been practicing visual approaches and manual landings for awhile now. After calibrating and tweaking the CH yoke and pedals, practicing, kicking off autopilot at 1000 agl and autothrottle at 200 agl, I'm averaging 150-200 fpm touchdowns (or about 2.5-3 fps). How am I doing? What is a good real world touch down rate? I know this is not greasing the landings but are these teeth rattlers.Thanks,Doug Wilson

Doug Wilson

I guess I have more work to do.
lol is that a stab at aa? I would say you're doing well. I'm not a real pilot but I would say that what's more important than "greasing" the landing is putting it down near the markings. In my opinion, a good landing is a fairly good landing rate and fairly close to the touchdown markers. Happy new year! Orlando

Actually, your landings would be frowned upon in real life. A good landing is a so called "positive" landing. Don't hold off but fly it on the runway. Never try to float to achieve a smoother landing, you can run out of runway very quickly that way.

... Don't hold off but fly it on the runway. Never try to float to achieve a smoother landing, you can run out of runway very quickly that way.
Yeah you can. Not that this is a perfect example of that (more like a perfect example of why you need to be certified to land at St.Barts), but it fits quite well and is one of my favorites.

Personally I think that's great. To do what Martin is saying (perfection) versus your current landing rate, you're doing more than fine. Top notch actually. There's something very rewarding about a great landing where you can only tell you've landed by the sound of it in FSX. I love the J41 in that light. It too isn't an easy aircraft to land and when you 1st start playing with it, you can come in fast like I've been reading about in this subforum. It's always good to shoot for that perfection, but pat yourself on the back I say, you're doing fine.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

150 to 200 fpm is good?I have been looking all over the internet looking for VS (vertical speed) because I have been landing my 737/738 from -150 up to -220vs on the VAFS system. All were good good landings according to the pilot reports.. I just even cranked the realism and landed at -250vs... no crash detection. Am I looking at this the wrong way or something?

Rodney E. Jacobs

Who is there right mind looks at the VSI during a touchdown anyway? Its all visual long long long before that in a manual landing.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

The 747 is certified for up to -10 feet per second (600 fpm) before the plane needs to be checked for a hard landing. I couldn't find any info for the 73 series, but I'm sure it's close to the 74s cert. Personally, I would say your average of 150-200 fpm is a good rate.JBSent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

How do you know your Vertical speed?I ask because there is quite a lag between the V/S indication and actual vertical speed (the VSI is rather slow). So your rate of descent is dropping during flare, It's quite difficult to know exactly by reading it outOr am I wrong and is the VSI indication not slow?Bert Van Bulck

Yeah you can. Not that this is a perfect example of that (more like a perfect example of why you need to be certified to land at St.Barts), but it fits quite well and is one of my favorites.
If I was him I would have gone around (unless he was low on fuel)How many of us practice go-arounds in the NGX anyway?Bert Van Bulck

To be frank, I use that old pilot adage "any landing you walk away from is a good landing".That said recently I have been greasing my landings in the 737 both PMDG and NGX. The easiest to land in my view is the PMDG 747. Considering the size and mass you can get the speed down really well and once those big old flaps are out, well it's so stable at low speed its a dream.Wycliffe

If I was him I would have gone around (unless he was low on fuel)How many of us practice go-arounds in the NGX anyway?
I practice go arounds, and often will just force myself to do something like change airports enroute, or even simulate a failure and kill all power. I actually do all this quite often and like to test myself and see how prepared I am. I fail misereably most of the time, meaning when I do these things, they are spur of the moment decisions. Pilots I've seen in my dvd's seem to always know where they would go at any given time and always have some form of contingency plan. Maybe that's just because the camera's there, but it's fun to think outside the box I think. I bet 90% of people reading this would also fail miserably if ATC actually told them to enter a holding pattern. Practicing these things to me is more fun then just going A-B but I guess it depends also.As for the video of St.Barts, I have no idea what he was thinking. I think either it was an emergency, or his pride told him he could do it. Landing there in the sim is even hard. Not the default, but with Fly Tampa's (Maarten Complete).I have a Grenadines Challenge in my logbook section of my forum in flying a series of flights with the J41. Landing at St.Barts in the J41 is really tough, but doable. You just need to scrape the grass on your way down that hill! :)bart2.jpg
Hi, can you please advise how to see my landing rate?
I think most people here are talking about just looking at the PFD, or HUD.I use FSPassengers and one cool thing about it, is it stores all kinds of data that I can later look at. It's great for reference and even troubleshooting researching.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier