Sign in to follow this  

Piper Warrior or Cessna 172

I am beginning my flight training and have narrowed my choice down to either a Piper Warrior (PA28-161/A) or a Cessna 172 (C-172/A or C-172/G). From all your real world experiences, which aircraft would you prefer and why? Thanks for all the help!================================Jeff Merver :-beerchug :-waveKSQL - San Carlos

Guest jrewing

Hi Jeff,Either a C172 or a PA28 should work fine. Both are proven designs and are used for flight training.One question that might help you make a choice is how many of each type are available for your training at SQL? Planes go down for maintenance or inspections and it often happens at inconvenient times. So the more planes of a given type that are available, the less likely it is for your training to be interrupted.Of course, the weather can interrupt things, too. Witness the last several days of nasty skies in the Bay Area!Best of luck to you with your training.JohnKOAK

Hey John,Thanks for the encouragment!==================================Jeff Merver :-beerchug :-waveKSQL - San Carlos

Either are easy to fly, hence their nickname "spamcans". The PA28 offers better viz having a low wing. Just a matter of preference. It's a place to start from and move on from, just like your first car.Personally, I learnt in a blue Robin HR200 (now called alpha 120t http://www.robinaviation.com/), hence the name. But you don't have those in the US...

Guest moomox

C172's tend to be more stable... because of high wing design, and are more forgiving in the air and on landing.I'd go for the 172...Just my thoughts

Do Both!I did the same thing during flight training. Granted, I was flying Cessna 152's and Cessna 172's but I soloed both of them on the same day and continued training in each for much the same reasons listed in this thread. Planes go down a lot.Enjoy~!

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

I have flown both, many times. I learned in a Piper. IMHO the Piper is a little easier to fly and more forgiving. The Cessna may make you a better pilot. The other thing, as mentioned before, is either a high wing or low wing preference. I personally like the low wing. Larry

Thanks Rob and everybody else who posted!!Well, I think I am actually going to try a 152 first, as my instructor has said it is a lot better to learn in. It is also $20 cheaper! ;) I have also been told the 152 is an awesome plane, what do you guys think? Just trying to spark some conversation! :-)================================================Jeff Merver :-beerchug :-waveKSQL - San Carlos :-sun1

Guest Stratus_Fractus

If you ever do decide to change, the PA28 is a superb aircraft, also very docile when it comes to stalling.

152 and awesome should not be in the same sentence.At full throttle on takeoff you'll be like "that's it?!?!" as you're thrusted back into your seats!!!

Guest jrewing

Hey Jeff,I think the C152 is a fine trainer for several reasons.The control forces are light and responsive, which teaches student pilots to fly with finesse rather than brute force.The fuel burn per hour is less than a C172 or a PA28, which combines with the lower rental rate to save you some $ when you add up all the hours of training you'll put in. Granted, the climb performance of a C152 is not stellar, but that's not critical when you're learning to fly so close to sea level. The maximum gross weight can be a minor annoyance if you and/or your instructor weigh over 160 lbs, but you can refuel using a fuel dipstick so you fly with less than full tanks.If you later decide to switch to a C172 in order to carry more or to fly a little faster, the transition from a C150/152 is not difficult.I've found the C150 and C152 to be particularly nice airplanes for teaching stalls and spin recovery because they are docile and predictable.They are curiously plesant planes to tool around in when you're not in a hurry and just want to enjoy the sights. With one person and full tanks, you can pack your gear plus a ham sandwich and still be under gross weight! ;-)What's not to like? Whichever plane you choose, I think you're gonna have a blast.JohnKOAK

John,Thanks for the kind words!! Aside from being a fine trainer, the 152 is also very cost efficient for me. Only $64/hr. The 172s and PA28s run for $85. Great to see other simmers and real world pilots from the Bay Area.========================================Jeff Merver :-beerchug :-waveKSQL - San Carlos :-sun1

Guest Tim13

I vote for the 172 for two big reasons. First is the fact that there are two doors. It is much easier for the pilot and instructor to get in and out with the two doors, not to mention in the summer you can both open a door or the larger window. Second is the fact that the wing is above you. What this means is that you won't spend half of your time on the ground walking all the way around the wings to get from one side of the bird to another. Tim13

>"152 and awesome should not be in the same sentence."Perhaps "awesome" isn't the right word, but the 152 is a great airplane. It behaves just like the larger Cessnas, but with lighter controls. I really enjoy flying them. They certainly have their limitations - power, range, useful load - but the 152 is a very predictable and capable trainer. Believe it or not, if you've ever flown a 150, the 152 is a great upgrade!

I am training in a Warrior II. I like it much better than the Cessna. More room, more forgiving, better view with the low wings.MikeFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!