Sign in to follow this  
Reason

any xp 32bit users left in the sky?

Windows 7 is great (so is my investment buying it). Cured OOM they said, allocate more memory, and other enormous things to offer. Been working, researching, learning and getting myself familiar and comfortable with it for the last couple of weeks (Thanx AVSIM for this !). It's great to have new learning exp. But for my fs9, I think i need more and more weeks to get it worked as I expected like it did with xp. For now, I just want to fly more often instead of spending more weeks combining the OS and fs9. Like all of you guys, I have loads of addons, a loooot of them. Like most simmers here, time is just not on our side sometimes.Am I the last stubborn xp die hard here? anyone? frankly, I decided to buy win 7 pro since everyone seems moving forward to win 7 64 (stick with xp is not entirely a drawback either IMO). Well reason number 2 is because UT europe has given me hard times with its OOM. But for now xp still gives me what it takes to run my fs9. Especially when I just learned that deleting HL* files in UT directory enables me flying without OOM.Things seem a bit harder for me in this case. I had been expecting by the end of this year win 7 would be my....so called - like the folks said - "greatest addon for my flight sim".Maybe next year.Wish you all Happy New Year Angel.gif

I am also still running 32 bit XP. In a month or so I'm looking to build a new PC, and it'll have 64 bit Win7 on it.

-Jim Davey

I only switched to Win7 64 bit a few months ago, I love it for everything except FS9, it is awseome. But - Apart from the fact that it now uses all my memory for FS9 it is a nightmare for providing tech support for FS add-ons and I miss running FS9 on XP. Whenever I see a user post an issue first thing I say to myself is "OK they are are using Win7/Vista"App data crashes, Wierd displays when using the menu, mouse cursor turns black when using multi monitors etc etc..I had a dual boot, FS9 on win XP and everything else on Win7. My XP died, dispite everything I said above I would never go back to XP now.

Rob Prest

Count me in!Guess what operating system was in place when FS9 was released?Wouldn't give up my RealityXP gauges for anything ... opps there's that dang XP again.Got 4 gig memory and running the switch ... very occasionally get OOM's but this is at new airports like KLAX and KFSO using ALL the addons and i run a 1 gig memory graphics card which is most definitely not recommended under 32 bit OS's.I can live with it.In fact I love it.I understand the need for others to justify their purchasing decisions. The industry just loves them ... couldn't survive in fact without them. Already they're on the bandwagon about Flight, X-Plane and Prepare3D et al. Most haven't acquired half the addons they had in FS9, had to upgrade their computers, some more than once, just to get acceptable frames. Others spend most of their free time tweaking.I just fly. LOL.gif

Wierd displays when using the menu, mouse cursor turns black when using multi monitors
Same here, Rob. I don't have FS9 crashing (FSX, on the contrary, crashes all the time - luckily it is not my primary sim platform), but the wierd displays and the black pointer are haunting me too.All in all I fell in love with WIndows 7 and I can stand the above symptoms.

I still use XP 32. So far everything works fine - so I see no need to change. Apart from that I really don't want to spend the money on a new system due to more important real life responsibilities. There's always LOTTO though ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I can afford any rig/sim I want but I am a 32bit Win-XP, FS9, 4:3 ratio monitor, 2D panel user.....and boy do I love my sim. :(

I am a 32bit Win-XP, FS9, 4:3 ratio monitor, 2D panel user.....and boy do I love my sim. :(
Same here. I can not see any reason to change....what so ever. :(

Staffan

PLL LOTTO?
I only give money to PLL LOT. I have had a few PLN from LOTTO though, but never quite as much as I'd like :(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I still use Windows XP 32bit home edition.I have no desire to upgrade .FS works fine with it (aint bust etc)PC works fine with it for general use as well.MSofts fault for putting out such a good OS.On the tin etc etc etcCant afford new OSs every couple of years either.PS I am still having issues with dammed system interrupts ,but I suspect that I would probably have those whatever OS (seen posts by people using 7 ,Vista and they to do not seem to be immune.When I think back to windows 98 and all the hassle of using that ,I remain VERY satisfied with XP.PPSPerhaps MSoft have sent something horrid in Windows update that causes interrupt problems DELIBERATELY in an attempt to force you upgrade.HA! PISH ! and HA again.Naughty Msoft. Just a joke!But please don't sue cause I is broke.YO!Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

XP32 bit here, and dont want to upgrade. WIN7 at work, its rubbish.Often hangs, while XP show an hourglass, in WIN7 nothing shows now and then. Many application hangups.. etc. Hate it.And, not to forget, 250 mb footprint on my XP machine, idling with 0-1% cpu usage, while the faster work PC does a wopping 500mb and constantly 10-20% usage.

Also still XP32 Bit at home.And no need to change in the next years. Its the best what Microsoft ever build.

XP32 bit here, and dont want to upgrade. WIN7 at work, its rubbish.Often hangs, while XP show an hourglass, in WIN7 nothing shows now and then. Many application hangups.. etc. Hate it.And, not to forget, 250 mb footprint on my XP machine, idling with 0-1% cpu usage, while the faster work PC does a wopping 500mb and constantly 10-20% usage.
Probably a good idea to talk to your IT team, calling win7 rubbish and claiming it is slower then xp32 bit is a completely inacurrate statement. It sounds like your install at work is rubbish. How can you judge an operating system based on your work pc?

Rob Prest