Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Thinking about Upgrading to this.....

http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.777268Any advice would be great....I have heard many say the i5 vs i7 and you mind as well save the money as both perform almost the same when clocked to the same freq regarding FSX.Only difference between the i7 I was thinking about and this one is, correct me if I'm wrong, 2mb of cache and hyperthreading, right? How much more performance would I get out of 2mb cache and hyperthreading?Hows the deal?Hows the board? I hear many say to go with the P6 I think?Thanks for any replies.I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on this asap as I have completely had it trying to get my old dog running well.JB

As long as u are just running FSX the 2500k is the way to go. As far as what mobo to get u are going to get alot of opinions on that. If it were me I would go for a Z68 board. Asus will serve u well but take a look at the AsRock extreme boards.

Matt Wilson

As long as u are just running FSX the 2500k is the way to go.
WHAT?!?! I just got the i5 2500k and, at clock speeds, it runs PERFECT!!! I get 40~50FPS in the NGX, with Real Environment Xtreme!!!! (That's with the HD clouds, btw) I also tried the processor out on some other games; Minecraft easily gets 100+ FPS, and League of Legends gets some 60.To the OP: Make sure you get a cooler with it.

WHAT?!?! I just got the i5 2500k and, at clock speeds, it runs PERFECT!!! I get 40~50FPS in the NGX, with Real Environment Xtreme!!!! (That's with the HD clouds, btw) I also tried the processor out on some other games; Minecraft easily gets 100+ FPS, and League of Legends gets some 60.To the OP: Make sure you get a cooler with it.
Thanks, I already have a Corsair H80 ontop my Q9650 that I'm gonna use.I just finished doing some reserach on memory and I think I'm gonna go with this set... I have had better luck with Corsair than with Gskill...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233254JB

This is the one I have http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233144Same thing.BTW, I got it for $37. Sadly, the price is up now. :(
Nice set of sticks... The set I posted is running rated timing of 7's. Wonder if it's worth the extra 30 bucks for 7s instead of getting the same memmory just a bit slower in timing like the 9's.Will probably pull the trigger on this build when I get back from dinner.JB

Nice set of sticks... The set I posted is running rated timing of 7's. Wonder if it's worth the extra 30 bucks for 7s instead of getting the same memmory just a bit slower in timing like the 9's.Will probably pull the trigger on this build when I get back from dinner.JB
Please. Both memory sticks are great. But for $30 extra... not so sure about that. I'm running the one you see there and it's fantastic.

To the OP FSX does not support hyper threading. So unless your gunna run other programs that support hyper threading there is no point in getting the 2600k. Save your money and get the 2500k. linux731 its obvious u have a chemical dependency that is killing your brain cells. Get help before its to late. Oh wait nevermind.

Matt Wilson

Still at dinner. One last question. How big a difference will 2 megs less of L2 cache make when comparing the i5 vs the i7?Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Still at dinner. One last question. How big a difference will 2 megs less of L2 cache make when comparing the i5 vs the i7?Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB
I honestly cant answer that but I run a 2500k and it runs FSX very well. I doubt u would see much difference.

Matt Wilson

I would post this in the hardware or FSX section to get some more opinions if I were u. There are alot of smart guru's on here that can tell u way more then I can.

Matt Wilson

Did a bit more research after I got home and decided on changing the i5 to the i7 2600k. After reading an article about how intel manufactures and tests the chips, then based on the tests, they put more cache into the chips with the least defects in the silicon and brand it an i7. From what I read, less defects in the silicon means less processor errors resulting in more functional clock cycles. I also read a bit about cache size and it's effect on performance. The difference between the two CPU's in terms of performance in FSX with the same clock should be the same in most circumstances when FSX is waiting on the cpu, but when the cpu is not the bottleneck and FSX is not waiting on the GPU, then the extra 2mb of cache might show a very slight performance increase.Pulled the trigger about 15 minutes ago.Thanks for all the helpJB

if you can do it go for the new x79 platform the specs are sick

if you can do it go for the new x79 platform the specs are sick
Unfortunately, made the purchase last night, but I will have a look anyway.Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB