Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Sad days ahead for spotters.

I was reading an article in the December/02 issue of "Airliner World" magazine. It was done by Tom Allett who visited JFK airport in the USA. There was one part at the very end that bugged me alot. It spoke about the spotting areas in US airports. The reason this bugs me so much to see the US airports doing away with the spotting areas, is because Canada normally follows the US norm. I can see a future with 10' walls around airports to keep the spotters from seeing in. :-madArticle reprinted with kind permission from, Tony Dixon - Editor - Airliner World Magazine.Generally speaking, local aircraft enthusiasts are an extremely rare sight at US airports, particularly those who wish to take photographs and collect aircraft registrations. As a result, this kind of interest is not recognized as a hobby in the same way it is in European countries, such as the UK, Germany and the Netherlands. The spectator facilities at JFK were closed many years ago following the planting of a bomb at neighboring LaGuardia airport. In recent years, terrorist attacks in Oklahoma City, Washington DC and in New York itself have massively heightened security worries and in the words of one senior JFK airport manager

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Hey:That simply sux. I mean, here in SJU we have a building called Aeroparque to see planes, but it's rather bad for spotting unless u have some good zoom. So people used to go to the parking lot, and take the shots from there. After 911, it was prohibited. It's sad that our hobby's ruined cuz of things that have nothing to do with it. :(Daniel PimentelPainter. :)http://www.aa.com/content/images/home/homeLogo.gif______________________________"Whenever you find yourself in the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

Don't blame it on the airport authorities,but blame it on the terrorists!

True that it has gone this way because of various events. The thing I wonder about though is that in Europe they have great viewing spots in places that have also had major air events happen. I really doubt that stopping people from standing on the designated viewing area at the end of a runway is really going to have an influx of people with their anti-aircraft guns setup. Personaly I feel it is nothing more then a feeble attempt at making it look like they are doing something about the problem. I mean think about it, how many terrorists really spend their planning stages by standing at the end of the runway looking at planes land?http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Dan,My cousin and I visit Manchester Airport in England frequently during the summer, so restrictions for spotters would be disappointing. However, I was encouraged to read an article about this particular airport a few days ago, in which some member of the airport management stated that spotters and other airport visitors were very important to them. The current official viewing park is apparently situated on land that could be used for future expansion, but if this was necessary, another viewing park would be created.We don't actually use the official viewing park, since there is a better location on the south side of the airport (right next to the runway 24L threshold). This location is absolutely superb for aviation photographers, since the aircraft taxi very close here (which is something that they also do over at the normal viewing park), and the Sun is positioned BEHIND us. I prefer to film airliners with my camcorder, and so this location isn't perfect for take offs on runway 24L (due to the fact that the aircraft accelerate quickly away........and I have NEVER liked filming planes in this manner). However, I can film good sequences of take offs and landings on runway 6L/24R, and this is augmented between 12 noon and 3 p.m when ONLY this runway is in use.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Probably not many, but it depends on the type of incident they are planning.If they're thinking about launching a SAM at an airliner from a particular airline, they might spend some time determining when the best period is for that (flight schedules compared to local conditions (road traffic, weather, etc.).Also remember that an overreaction is to be expected in the USA. They were 30 years behind in implementing proper security and are now doing everything that comes to mind before thinking it through first.

Hello All,Should you ever be in Las Vegas, there is a spotters area on the south side of the airport (Sunset Road). Enclosed in a chain link fenced area, it sits adjacent to runway 25L, which is normally used for landings. Perhaps only 200 yards at the most from the touchdown point of the runway. Great landing shots. Often see many people standing on top their cars or trucks for unobstructed photo opportunities. There is a convenience store just across the street. Lots of action between 11am and 4pm. Also night action from 9pm to 1am.If you are passing through the airport or making a connection, head up to the top floor of the parking garage. Great, mostly unobstructed views of the entire airport. The view of The Strip, at night, is spectacular.Hope this is of some help. Happy Spotting!Jack

Spotters,As Seba mentioned, blame the terrorists. If you are in or around and airport, it can be your duty to watch for and report anything suspicious.The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) is distributing literature to it's members. Information regarding Airport Watch can be found:http://www.aopa.org/asn/watchindex.shtmlI've programmed the toll-free # into my cell phone. When I'm not flying, I like to atleast drive by an airport and may be get a whiff of some turbine exhaust! :-)Happy New Year to All!

You like the smell of Jet Fuel exhaust too huh? :-hah Yes... all these terrorist incidents are screwing EVERYONE over! It angers me alot, to see our hobby being restricted all the time. Just doesn't seem fair to people who have no intentions of destroying a plane. Oh well... :-roll Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

After reading this i count myself very lucky we have three places for spotters at melbourne YMML its not that Busy but we can get very close to it on runway 27 you can get right under the approche lighting.regards.

Guest Pardue802

I don't blame the terrorists, I blame the people who get so paranoid that they live their lives in fear, boarding up the semblances of freedom to avoid the 1 in a million chance that something bad will happen. I mean come on, a few thousand people died two years ago... since then, how many thousands or tens of thousands of Afghan's died that had nothing to do with the conflict and did not deserve it? A Jan 2, 2002 statistic was that 4,050 Afghans have died, that's more than Sept. 11 by itself, much less how many have died since then; If you ask me, the US is the biggest double standard on the face of the earth.Kenneth

>I don't blame the terrorists, I blame the people who get so >paranoid that they live their lives in fear, boarding up the >semblances of freedom to avoid the 1 in a million chance >that something bad will happen. I mean come on, a few >thousand people died two years ago... since then, how many >thousands or tens of thousands of Afghan's died that had >nothing to do with the conflict and did not deserve it? A >Jan 2, 2002 statistic was that 4,050 Afghans have died, >that's more than Sept. 11 by itself, much less how many have >died since then; If you ask me, the US is the biggest double >standard on the face of the earth. >>Kenneth Go tell that to the family members of the victims,you probably would have spoken differently if you lost someone due to a terrorist attack on innocent people.Of course,nobody can deny many Afghans died,but that doesn't take away 9/11,I'm sure all Afghans are more pleased after the attack of the U.S. and G-B than before when they had no future under the Taliban. Saying that you must not fear is correct,but that doesn't mean that security isn't required,what do you want governments to do?do they have to take no precautions and no security measures at all,since the civilians shouldn't be afraid,so terrorists can spread out more terrorso if you suffered in any way of an terrorist attack,you would not feel the need for more security,that's an unrealistic and dumb statement IMHO

Guest Flyingdutchman

Hey guys,Don't be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!!! come to the beautiful Holland!!!!!It's paradise for you spotters!!! Even on military airbases you can still watch!! and listen with you airbandreceiver NP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-hahOw and I'v also been to D

Guest Pardue802

Unfortunately I could also tell it to the innocent Afghans who died as a result of American attacks: those people that are utterly lost between their own horrid ruling regime and its vicious attacker, the United States; those that get trampled when the two dogs fight.I imagine for them instead of "That doesn't take away 9-11," it's "That doesn't take away B-52." Equally, I'm sure if I were someone who lost Afghan family because of America's vicious you-hit-the-target-and-win-the-game-from-bars-3,000-miles-away attacks, I'd say that I would have spoken differently. You see, America is spreading a heck of a lot more terror in Afghanistan/Iraq/Middle East than anything the al-Qaida could hope to do here. Only here, people have the time, money, and comfort enough to stop and be afraid ;-) Over there, it's simply a way of life. You wanna talk about security? Let's see how long you make it in Afghanistan.Obviously, I'm a dove. ;-)Stuff happened in New York City, but stuff has happened a heck of a lot more to such poor and aflicted countries that fell behind in the industrial age. You would be stunned at the sophistication and elegance of the Muslim world 200 years ago. But of course the media doesn't spin it that way, they have OIL that we need to play upon.Naturally, for those that say "If you don't like it then get out of the country!"... I'd never 'leave' the country. I'm your typical selfish, resource-hogging American, selfishly using my 1st Amendment. Only difference is, I recognize it as such. ;-)Cheers!Ken

Ok, so this post is going way off from what I had expected. My intent was to bring up a point of spotting areas being taken away. Instead of throwing mud at each other why don't we use all that energy to approach our airport authorities to find better ways to keep a great hobby alive and well. Maybe get a group together and come up with ideas and a way to present it to your local airport that has some merit.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg