Sign in to follow this  
KLM777-300ER

ILS flare only but no rollout?

Hi all,first of all happy new year!!!I've had the PMDG 737 ever since it came out, and i never really use autoland III mode because it whas not realy necessary for me to fly with full autoland engaged.i live in the Netherlands and the weather could be verry foggy at some times and so i want to you autoland III.a couple of months ago that day came in the netherlands with a lot of fog so i used the ILS mode the only thing i got whas flare but not rollout on my PFD, has any of you guys an idea of what i did wrong i whas landing btw on ILS RWY 06 i had both ILS radio"s tuned in, and had everything configured before landing.Cheers

Search the forum for Fail Operational. There are more threads on it than rivets in the plane.

Matt Cee

i've searched the forum but could not find anything specific on this topic otherwise i would not have started this topic.only thing i ask for is for some help?

Hi,You got to choose in the a/c options Collins FMC and Fail Op. Both of them !

Either that or accept that Fail Operational autoland is a damn too rare an option, and do what KLM does and land with fail passive and rollout yourself.

i've searched the forum but could not find anything specific on this topic otherwise i would not have started this topic.only thing i ask for is for some help?
He gave it to you. If you actually searched, you would've found a good number of threads discussing the issue, but since the answer lies a little deeper than the surface, you probably just skimmed right over it. He could very well have just said "it's in the manual on page [whatever]."Basically, PMDG modeled different types of autopilots, and certain models have certain features that others do not. You have one of the autopilots that does not have rollout as a feature. As Emmanuel pointed out, take a look at the difference between Fail Operational and Fail Passive (also worth a forum search).

Kyle Rodgers

thank you for the replyand thanks peter for that i didnt know that KLM does the rollout by there selfs, i did not knew that before.soo i learned something here. thanks again all.cheers

Either that or accept that Fail Operational autoland is a damn too rare an option, and do what KLM does and land with fail passive and rollout yourself.
Or do what I guarantee KLM really does 99% of the time and land the plane with your hands on the yoke and throttle and the AP off. blum.gif

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

True that, but even them need to do it the automatic way, I think twice a year? :)

Or do what I guarantee KLM really does 99% of the time and land the plane with your hands on the yoke and throttle and the AP off.
Glad I'm not the only one who says things like that...

Kyle Rodgers

Autoland is fun to mess with, but I do prefer hand flying the approach once your landing prep workload drops off...otherwise I'd just go watch NGX Youtube videos and save myself the $$$.

Well seeing as you still have not got a proper answer to your question !Make sure you have the Collins MCP and Fail OP selected in the CDU options. (the ISFD is Necessary for Fail OP)When on an intercept course press APP and then both autopilots. Capture the Localizer and Glideslope.(It would be good to be at gear down and flaps 15 at this stage)Just below 1500 ft you should see LAND 3 annunciated and Rollout and Flare.If not........................you have done something wrong.Fred.

Hi ryan, whahahathat's what i do most of the time just the weather just doesn't always help me out here in hollandBig%20Grin.gif Thanks fred for your answerBig%20Grin.gif

Edited by KLM777-300ER

Or do what I guarantee KLM really does 99% of the time and land the plane with your hands on the yoke and throttle and the AP off. blum.gif
Not sure about the 99% and depends on what exactly you define as 'land' (i.e. how far down the approach do you leave he AP on), but I have heard that KLM mandates at least 1/3 of all flights are hand flown, including departure and approach, so A/P on only in cruise and maybe a portion of climb/descent.Of course they also do the occasional auto-land to maintain currency, and they probably make use of it if the weather gets own to Cat III minimums.Saw a survey of US pilots (all types / airlines) a while back that indicated about half went AP on only at 10,000' or 18,000' (forget which) and AP off again when passing that level going the other way. Some companies mandate a lot more use of the automatics though.

Saw a survey of US pilots (all types / airlines) a while back that indicated about half went AP on only at 10,000' or 18,000' (forget which) and AP off again when passing that level going the other way. Some companies mandate a lot more use of the automatics though.
Some airlines should institute a "Hand Flying Currency" requirement. Yikes!

Matt Cee