Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

Beta 8!

Just insalled beta 8. First two bootups were crash to desktop, probably should have saved beta 7. will try to reboot the computer now crossing fingers.

Run the updater and uncheck the download beta option. It'll revert to beta 7

Well I'm on Beta 8 now. Wish it would have given me that report. 3 CDT in a row now, and I ebooted the computer after the second CTD. Funny thing is I've very very seldom had a CDT in any sim. now3 in a row. My X-Plane sojurn may be over.Thanks GoranM am doing this posthaste.

Thank goodness I hope I am out of the woods on the Beta 8. Am reverting to beta 7 even as we speak. The next task, (assuming its a good download)), is to put beta 7 over on another disk as it is pretty solid.Mucho gracias GoranM for the info. Probably saved my bacon.I know ONE SHOULD DO BACKUPS!!! So this is what we get for being complacent. I have been blessed, very seldom if ever have I had a CDT with a sim. And very few with any other programs.Any one else having this problem. I doubt if I am the only one. I'll sign off now to do a bug report. :(

The early versions of an x plane run CAN crash while optimizing is being carried out. The good news is when a new beta update is released, the one previous is kept on the servers in case you want to revert back to it.XP9 was stable, without crashes, somewhere around 9.22.FYI, I was getting crashes with the beta 8 update also. So it's not isolated.

Thats what I love about this hobby, (besides flying more than I can affordMoney%20Eyes.gif ), we learn something new every day. sometimes every 1/2 a day.

For the record, I didn't have the beta option checked last night when it pulled down beta 8. I just ran the updater again, however, and it offered to downgrade to beta 7.

Maybe it's a new thing they added. Maybe when an update is pulled, regardless of the beta option checked, it reverts to the old version. I do know that f you downloaded a beta in the V9 run, and it caused problems, you could uncheck the beta option in the updater and it will replace all your files with the non beta, stable version.

10.03 Beta 8 was DOA so it was pulled.Also note that betas are being pushed to everybody until 10.03 is locked - then they'll go back to the normal process where you opt into the beta downloads by checking the "download beta" box. So at present with 10.03, checking this box makes no difference.See Ben's blog here for details:http://www.x-plane.com/blog/Beta 9 will be out later today.

Edited by lightplane

That blog entry is worth a read. I feel sorry for the guy, it seems he has a lot on his plate. Too much I would think and probably not enough help. I know they develop on the mac but they have to do some basic testing past 'the compile test' when pushing out windows updates. I read that it never worked and therefore was never tested. These forums have talked so much about the importance of third parties and LR is looking to 'try to dedicate' one day of one persons time per week. As to the other point raised, 64 bit is the way to go. My main sim was a huge improvement when they released a 64 bit version.

See Ben's blog here for details:http://www.x-plane.com/blog/
"We had a slight fire-drill with beta 8 last night; it turns out it crashes on Windows..."That explains why I didn't have any problems. I'm running Linux. Edited by Mountain Man