Sign in to follow this  
nikita

A way to install fsx addons on PREPAR3D

27 members have voted

1. 1. Does this method work for you?

• Yes
    • Only in part / for some addons
    • No

Disclaimer: since i DON'T OWN prepar3d, this is a fully theoretical method. I could only test it with fs9, and it worked there.So, since there is more difference between fsx / fs9 than in fsx / p3d, i guess it will work. I repeat: i GUESS IT WILL WORK. But at least i'm sure it won't destroy anything Big%20Grin.gifIt's pretty easy: it basically consists in modifying the Registry so that installers ''think'' that fsx is installed in the same path of p3d. Don't be scared because you have to modify the Registry, it's really easy. If it doesn't work it's fully revertible to the normal situation, with the registry pointing at the right path.Let's start. First you must uninstall the addons you want in prepar3d. This is because they need the correct fsx path in the registry to uninstall, and if you don't uninstall them you won't be able to install. Simple, right?Now you need to take the dll.xml and exe.xml files from your fsx appdata path (the same where you have your fsx.cfg. For who's new, it's all in C://Users/''your username''/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/fsx). You must copy them in the appdata folder of p3d (same where is p3d.cfg, should be similar to fsx's path). You do it because p3d doesn't have them, but addons need to write some data there to make their gauges work.Now take your fsx.exe from fsx's main root (be sure you have sp2 / acceleration) and copy it into prepar3d's main root.Now we come to editing the registry. Don't worry, flight1 has a tool that will do everything for you. So thank them if this method works. Go here http://www.flight1.c...sp?page=library and download the FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool. Be sure you have turned off UAC in windows Shi... Vista / 7. You should do it anyway, to prevent some problems with fsx. Open it as admin (just to be sure) and select ''Repair FSX Registry Path''. In the next window, go to prepar3d's main root and select the fsx.exe. If it goes well, a window will appear. Now i won't spend my time writing all the text in there, but if you see the words ''successfully added to'' it means what it says.Now if you want to install an addon, you will be able to simply run the installer, and it will install it in ''fsx's'' path. But it is installed inprepar3d.Have fun with your addons in prepar3d!!!If it doesn't work and you want to recover the previous situation: again, uninstall the addons from prepar3d, and only after you've done this you can proceed. Now simply open the registry tool from flight1, select ''repair fsx registry path'', but this time go to fsx's main root and select the fsx.exe. I repeat: for restoring you have to go in fsx's main root and select the fsx.exe placed in there. Now the registry does point again at the real fsx, and you can reinstall your addons.

Edited by nikita

Hi,I voted no because I prefer to do the non P3D supported auto installs manually, I want to know exactly what's going on with my flight sim only computer network. But I guess for those that do not want to take the time to do it manually, and/or do not possess the ability to manually port products from FSX to P3D, the above option may be worth looking into until the non-supporting installers are made available for P3D.I just hope L/M sees this tremendous opportunity to lead the flight simming community into 2012 with a viable option for the home sim pilot enthusiast by offering a better one time price than the $500.00 deal and/or $10.00 a month subscription.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

No problem, Mike. Just a question: if you want to know what happens in your pc, what did you do with other installers for fsx? There you can only install manually :/

Hi,I have four hard drives on my system, the Solid State Drive is for P3D and I installed FSX on my 10,000 rpm SATA drive. I install any non P3D aware auto installs into FSX and then manually edit/copy all needed parts into P3D. To keep my Flight Simulator system clean, I then uninstall the item from FSX and remove all registry entries for said addon. I only keep system registry entries that are required by third party addons that I use.Its a bit of work and a pain, but my system is streamlined and runs very smooth. I also run all software that supports networking via my network on a separate system. For example, I run Active Sky 2012, FSBuild, WideFS, FTG-ACARS, Squawkbox, EFB, Jeppview and Show Text on my network.I'm only missing a few FSX addons that don't work with P3D, once these are updated (EFB for instance) I'll be good to go. I wont miss FSX at all.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Ok now i understood. And nice system you got, much better than my laptop...

Nikita, you are forgetting one very important thing:Installers are looking into ...AppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSX and ...ProgramDataMicrosoftFSXscenery.cfg to add installed sceneries and modify exe.xml and dll.xml.How do you propose to fool the installers and install into ...Lockheed MartinPrepar3D?

Edited by Kosta

Ooops.. Thanks Word Not Allowed, i'll fix this as soon as i get again on a pc. Can't edit from the mobile, also with avsim full theme.

Nikita, you are forgetting one very important thing:Installers are looking into ...AppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSX and ...ProgramDataMicrosoftFSXscenery.cfg to add installed sceneries and modify exe.xml and dll.xml.How do you propose to fool the installers and install into ...Lockheed MartinPrepar3D?
The installers can be set to use the prepar3d folders instead of the FSX folders, also if the FSX registry key is set to the Prepar3d folder then installers that don't ask for the file path automatically use that one from the registry, I have installed a couple of addon aircraft this way. PIC 737 EVO and Carenado C337, both work perfectly (or in the 737 evos case, as well as it does in FSX!!!) I've not installed scenery with an installer yet though, but have manually set up all my UK2000 stuff with P3D and all are working fine.edit: (Just remembered, for the 737 I had to have an fsx.exe in the prepar3d folders, I just created a copy of the prepar3d.exe and renamed it, the Wilco installer was happy then!, some others might not be as easily fooled!!) Edited by Ayster

Alan, you are still omitting the fact that most sceneries won't install correctly if you use FSX installers! Also if you install aircraft that edit xml files, same problem. You have to have FSX installed, then install into FSX and manually port to P3D.I managed even to install UTX and even set the UTX manager to work with P3D directly, but it was major pain in the &@($*. And FSX had to be there.We need a program, possibly a resident while installing, which would redirect calls as you set them up. It should be fairly easy to program it, but I ain't a programmer.

Edited by Kosta

Hi,Now that would be sweet, it would completely eliminate the folder problems.

We need a program, possibly a resident while installing, which would redirect calls as you set them up. It should be fairly easy to program it, but I ain't a programmer.

Alan, you are still omitting the fact that most sceneries won't install correctly if you use FSX installers! Also if you install aircraft that edit xml files, same problem. You have to have FSX installed, then install into FSX and manually port to P3D.
Word Not Allowed,I said in my post that I installed the UK2000 scenery manually, not by installer, I copied the relevant scenery files to the prepar3d folder and add them manually to the scenery library. I did however install some aircraft addons using their installers, not sure if they use XML files, but they seem to install OK. They were the Wilco PIC 737 Evolution and the Carenado C337.

Word Not Allowed,I said in my post that I installed the UK2000 scenery manually, not by installer, I copied the relevant scenery files to the prepar3d folder and add them manually to the scenery library. I did however install some aircraft addons using their installers, not sure if they use XML files, but they seem to install OK. They were the Wilco PIC 737 Evolution and the Carenado C337.
I understood what you wrote. I only ment to say that those installers you used basically didn't do a thing to xml files or with system folders of P3D (scenery.cfg for instance). That is why the installer was successful.