Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

Boeing scraps Sonic Cruiser

Guest flightpro08
Guest mikehaska

*Danger, Danger, Will Robinson! An Airbus vs. Boeing battle looms!* :-lol

Guest Fortress

Heh! :-)No. No battle! The loan/taxpayer argument is too well used, and moreover doesn't hold much water. The whole A v.B thing is never going to get anywhere - well, not until Boeing loses even more of their long-haul market share anyway.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo

Guest flightpro08

Jeeze, looks like ole Boeing is running out of ideas, scrapping those 747X and now the SST. In all honesty, I love Boeing planes and all, but that Sonic Cruiser didn't turn my crank much. It didn't seem very economical to me. It was only to cruise at 0.98 Mach! and it didn't carry much either, I mean the 747-400 cruises at like 0.84 or 0.86 (whatever) and carries twice as much. Not really a practical addition to the Boeing line that Sonic Cruiser would've been. But Boeing needs to think of something to compete with Airbus's A380 and A340-500/600's (besides the 747-400ER ;-))Best Regards Derek Beal :-wavePROUD RUSSIAN/CANADIAN! :D

>But Boeing needs to think of something to compete with Airbus's >A380 and A340-500/600's (besides the 747-400ER )Well, in the meantime with the A380's, Boeing can figure out what to do now, why billions of dollars of renovations worldwide go on to accompany the '380 at airport gates :)

>... The loan/taxpayer argument is too well used, >and moreover doesn't hold much water. The whole A v.B thing >is never going to get anywhere - well, not until Boeing >loses even more of their long-haul market share anyway. Just wondering.. WHO will be paying the maintenance costs for EasyJet's A320's? It certainly isn't EasyJet...

BobK

Boeing has always been my favourite out of the two. I guess its like ford vs Holden (cars) here in Australia. I just think that boeing is goin teh right way in the market. Upgrading their models eg 747ER, while Airbus is designing and now building the A380. Do u have any idea how much that plane will cost airports around the world? They will probably have to make new airbridges and all that at any airport that they will fly to. Anyway, thats my say in the matter. Cheers.

Guest Scott Campbell

I don't give a damn if it's Boeing, Airbus, General Dynamics, Lockheed, Bombardier, or BMW or Tonka who makes one, I'm just sick of these pedantic companies making giant, slow, plodding, fuel-inefficient dinosaurs.Time for the aircraft manufacturers and governments to pull their heads out. One B2 would pay for all the development costs, not to mention all the money going down the toilet for "space-based defense systems".It's now almost exactly 100 years since Orville and Wilbur flew the first powered flight, and the aircraft today are almost the exact same design.These guys just don't get Faster, not Bigger.