Sign in to follow this  

Why move to P3D now...?

Are you guys all developers then? Because from what I read in the EULA that's what this $10/mo license covers and it specifically restricts it from being used for "personal/consumer entertainment". I'm baffled how the EULA can make such a direct restriction, in the very first bullet point by the way, and the craze continues to march on. Even 3rd party developers releasing consumer versions of their products to be used on a platform that restricts personal/consumer use. Clearly I just don't know how to spin a EULA.
Then don't spin itLM seems happy to have us on board, otherwise, they would have pulled the plug by now. More and more developpers are moving their products towards P3D, either for free (i.e. Aerosoft) or for a small fee such as Orbx. They probably know what they are doing.So as I wrote in another topic : "enjoy the ride"
Hi,Well, if the EULA has you concerned, design a small aircraft checklist and offer it for sale on sim market. Your product may be bad and/or no one may want to buy it, but hey your a developer.
LM Say that you dont need to be a developer to join the developer network, check out the licence requirements when you go to buy the subscription. They want to encourage people to develop for P3D hence why they call it a developer licence.here is the text from the Prepar3d website.. Developer Network ProgramAnyone can join the Prepar3D® Developer Network Program. No matter if you are a seasoned developer, or just starting out, we want to encourage you to develop for Prepar3D.
Hmm, I wonder, if you post and exchange ideas on the P3D forum does that not make you a developer? You are in effect beta testing the product are you not?Just wondering.
If it's fine and dandy to join when you aren't a developer, and LM is "happy to have us", then why not change the EULA? Why does it specifically restrict the use of the software for personal entertainment? It's exactly what all of you are using it for are you not?I have an MSDN subscription for my job and it allows me to install Microsoft software for testing/development purposes, but guess what would happen if I installed an MSDN version of SQL into my production domain and got audited? I'd be fined and probably lose my job. This is no different from using a development license for something other than what the EULA allows. Am I worried about the EULA? Of course I am, why aren't you? If anyone even utters the word pirate this whole place erupts in torches and pitchforks, but in the same breath we don't mind breaking a legally binding document on how software is allowed to be used? I've also seen people get overly excited about distributing freeware when an author explicitly prohibits it in the read me file. That breaks the EULA too, but is that now ok?What I'm trying to understand is why is breaking one EULA deeply concerning and wrong on some accounts, but breaking another perfectly ok? I have no beef with LM, or any of the developers adding support for it, but I don't get how they can do it without the support of the manufacturers license agreement.
http://forum.avsim.n...r3d-eula-topic/ :wink:EDITEven better...:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350831-legal-aspect-please-read/:( Back OT please! Edited by J van E

Interesting reading. I am wondering what could Direct X11 bring to the table if P3D could find a way of utilizing this for V2. If it could increase fps and or help with stutters it could be a game changer for a lot of folks currently on the fence.... I for sure would definitely be interested..Hamish

OH PLEASE for crying out loud... Stop that EULA talk!!! It seems that every P3D topic gets infected and totally OT over the EULA... I'll start a EULA topic after typing this, now please get back OT!!! Thank you.
:( you're always good entertaniment my friend!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

:( you're always good entertaniment my friend!
Well, thank you! :(

Just tried P3D yesterday. Its FSX and not worth the $10 per mo. was a bit smoother is about all I noticed.
In three months of using it I never had a single CTD error (ok, except exiting), and only one OoM due to a too high lod_radius.It can be a good reason.

If it's fine and dandy to join when you aren't a developer, and LM is "happy to have us", then why not change the EULA? Why does it specifically restrict the use of the software for personal entertainment? It's exactly what all of you are using it for are you not?
Think its something to do with their agreement with Microsoft, that it wont be marketed as an entertainment product. Hopefully though things are afoot to offer some kind of consumer type licence, according to the rumour mill!

Think its something to do with their agreement with Microsoft, that it wont be marketed as an entertainment product. Hopefully though things are afoot to offer some kind of consumer type licence, according to the rumour mill!
You might not want to talk about that now: IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANTIf you edit your post, I'll edit mine too. :( And otherwise a mod will probably do it. Edited by J van E

Joern you have started as many bushfires as you have topics. EULAs are meaningless unless a publisher decides to take action against someone they believe have breached their licence. When it comes to piracy. or free gift to another person outside the single installation licence I am totally on their side. After all it is only revenue from the honest public that allows the publishers to carry these products.But in the case of P3D either they were naive or without the necessary market knowledge to realise that in buying FSX they are doing what we, and the original ACES wanted. Constant upgrade and improvement in efficiency to finally turn FSX into the simulation it could have been They have set the whirlwind in motion, and I for one, in due couirse would pay the $500 for v3,0 when it comes out.As to the fate of the EULA and the willingness by some third party developer to pursue some small time simmer in the courts, only then will we find out. I'm not on about EULAs but believe me LM, developers, publishers and MS will be watching what is happening like a hawk, or hawks. FLIGHT it would seem has little to offer the top-end simmer, though we are a tiny market regrettably and some of the alternative sims are still light-years behind. So for us, P3D is the hope of the future - and we should do as much as we can to keep them with us, through good sense, not flaming, crowing of some transfer, or whatever.but LM and flightsim publishers are.erase the previous line mentally, as I forgot to do it physically.

Here we go again...Ian, please comply with Avsim's rulesThanks.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.