Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

Engine volume

I've got all of the FSX volume settings at 50, as recommended by PMDG, but I am completely unable to hear the engines at all.the noise of the packs and electrical systems seem to drown out the engine sounds.I have the master volume set correctly, as the voices from Radar Contact and the other cockpit sounds are at a suitable level.I've watched a few videos on YouTube, and you can definitely hear the engines when they are increased to takeoff thrust.Is there any way to increase the volume of the engines, without touching any of the FSX volume settings (as this would then affect other aircraft whose volume levels are OK.)Thanks

PMDG Sounds menu in the Add-Ons menu should do the trick.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Already tried that - all it does is raise the volume for all of the sounds. The engine sounds get louder, but the pack and electrical sounds get louder too.

Are you sure the takeoffs you saw weren't "Packs Off" takeoffs? When you select the corespondating point in the FMC the packs will go off as you advance the thrust leavers for takeoff and you will hear the engines a lot better than with packs.

I can't say whether the video was packs off or not. My takeoffs in FSX are packs off, and I still can't hear the engines.I didn't really notice any sound difference between sitting on the ground with engines off, and flying in cruise. It seems that the wind noise as speed increases seems to be quite low as well.

Already tried that - all it does is raise the volume for all of the sounds. The engine sounds get louder, but the pack and electrical sounds get louder too.
You should DECREASE the sound in the PMDG Sounds menu. This will decrease the sound volume of the packs, electrics, etc., and the sound of the engines will not be affected but stay at the same level.

Are you sure the takeoffs you saw weren't "Packs Off" takeoffs? When you select the corespondating point in the FMC the packs will go off as you advance the thrust leavers for takeoff and you will hear the engines a lot better than with packs.
The MD-11 packs are always off during takeoff. It's automatic.

Dave Taylor gb.png

The MD-11 packs are always off during takeoff. It's automatic.
You can select whether you want the packs on or off on the FMC. Then if you select packs on, the ECS won't shut the packs down. Select packs off, the ECS shuts down the packs.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Phil,on the real MD-11 the engines are indeed rather quiet on the flight deck. At high speeds the wind noise will make the engines almost inaudible if not at TO or CLB thrust. But... you hear them, quiet but you can. So if you don't hear them at all then something is wrong.First you should check in windows sound settings whether your speaker setup corresponds to the speaker settings within windows. The engines are modeled to be audible on the rear speakers only if you have a 5.1 speaker set. So say your speakers are set to 5.1 in windows, but your physical setup is just 2.1, this might cancel the engines out completely.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard