Sign in to follow this  
booterboy

Where to next for MS Fight Simulator users?

Didn't want to start yet another new thread,but would like to know what the next few years of flight simulation holds for members of this community.Having started with MS Flight Sim back in 1997(only a kid compared to the elder statesmen of this forum)I have had countless hours of fun andentertainment.Built a new PC about 8 months ago and decided not to install FSX and all my addons which i have spent a small fortune on over the past few years.Even with all the great addons from the likes of ORBX,Aerosoft I started to feel FSX was getting old(no matter what hardware I threw at it I could never feelreally happy with performance).So with new PC built I started to pin my hopes on MS Flight for the future of my hobby.Started getting worried from about 6 months ago from the rumors and bits of info on this forum but still hoped it would be FSX with better/updated coding with multicore cpu and gpu support built in(a SP3 for FSX as some other members thought).Having now seen what Flight contains I feel my flight sim days are numbered.Have spent about 12-15 hours on XP-10 on a friends PC,just don't like it having giving it a fair go,so XP is not and option.Have looked into LM offering but doesn't appealto me at this time.Have spent the past 7 months playing IL2 Cliffs of Dover to keep my pc flight passion ticking over(a truely great combat flight sim).Anyway for the time being it looks as though my flight sim days are numbered.For all the people who still enjoy FSX/XP-10/Prepar3d and the new generation of MS Flight,I wish you many happy years of virtual flying.

Don't give up just yet Booterboy. Wait a bit longer and wish upon your lucky star and you might just get something a bit closer to what you are looking for. There is a new kid on the block, but we are going to have to wait a bit to see what it grows up to become. It has really great genes, and already shows promise. So rest for awhile if you must, but open your eyes from time to time and take a look in this direction and you may be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not, or maybe so, we will see soon enough.Kind regards,

Edited by SpiritFlyer

Why is there a need to have a "next"? Human nature I suppose. What is so incomplete about FSX? I will agree that it could be more stable as a computer program, but as a platform for flight simulation, I would say that it is almost complete. Unless you are looking to simulate the most complex computerized systems on a commercial jet liner like an Airbus, it's already here for you. Now again, HUMAN NATURE, we want to believe that something better is coming, and perhaps P3D is that thing, but thanks to add-on developers pushing the envelope within the FSX engine I think that we are already sitting pretty.I can tell you this, as a real-world pilot and one who is doing an instrument rating, FSX(and probably X-plane) with the right add-ons provides a realistic experience that will simulate nearly any type of real-world flying and improve your skill-set.All I am saying is, take a step back, look at the landscape of flight simulation today as it exists NOW, and realize, it's really quite good.

Don't give up just yet Booterboy. Wait a bit longer and wish upon your lucky star and you might just get something a bit closer to what you are looking for. There is a new kid on the block, but we are going to have to wait a bit to see what it grows up to become. It has really great genes, and already shows promise. So rest for awhile if you must, but open your eyes from time to time and take a look in this direction and you may be pleasantly surprised. Maybe not, or maybe so, we will see soon enough.Kind regards,
Thanks Stephen,haven't completely discounted Flight,maybe it will be beefed up over the next couple of years to include us simmers.Have no problem with MS Flight opening up to a new demographic andnew generation,just wish they didn't strip so many features of FSX to go after this market.Just have to wait and see what Flight turns into in the future.

Booterboy like others told you just wait . till today im also in the window waiting to see what flight would be at release date .the reason why its because i had been getting bits of info on flight and as a current real world Airline pilot and hardcore sim fan i think there is hope in the weird way MS is using this time.

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Why is there a need to have a "next"? Human nature I suppose.What is so incomplete about FSX? I will agree that it could be more stable as a computer program, but as a platform for flight simulation, I would say that it is almost complete. Unless you are looking to simulate the most complex computerized systems on a commercial jet liner like an Airbus, it's already here for you. Now again, HUMAN NATURE, we want to believe that something better is coming, and perhaps P3D is that thing, but thanks to add-on developers pushing the envelope within the FSX engine I think that we are already sitting pretty.I can tell you this, as a real-world pilot and one who is doing an instrument rating, FSX(and probably X-plane) with the right add-ons provides a realistic experience that will simulate nearly any type of real-world flying and improve your skill-set.All I am saying is, take a step back, look at the landscape of flight simulation today as it exists NOW, and realize, it's really quite good.
Hi,never said that FSX was incomplete,just for me it has aged over the 6 years performance wise.FSX stillis the best fligfht sim expierence bar none.Am not a pilot so have never complained or commented about instruments or flight dynamics as i have no first hand expierence.I would not consider myself hardcore,just an average pc gamer who has really enjoyed the flight sim genre over the past 15 years.Maybe thats why Prepar3d doesn't appeal to me,and as i have said in OP that XP is not an option after trying.Would have been really happy with a SP3 for FSX but such is life.Thanks for your input Ping Pong.

You havnt tried FSX on your new rig? That is the first thing I would have done! At 4.5ghz I think you would be very suprised how well you could run FSX with that. I have been with 3.16ghz for over 3 years now and get very good results with FSX.

You havnt tried FSX on your new rig? That is the first thing I would have done! At 4.5ghz I think you would be very suprised how well you could run FSX with that. I have been with 3.16ghz for over 3 years now and get very good results with FSX.
Hi Jazz,Would love to know myself how my new rig performs on FSX but just cant be bothered reinstalling the countless number of free/payware addons for it.I know i still would be slightly dissapointed,as i have said if FSX were to support multicore cpu and better gpu solutions i would never have walked away.I build a new rig every 2 years and i know in my heart of hearts after a lot of hardware upgrades since release of FSX that i will never be content with its performance.

It's called XPX !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Stephen are you refering to FLIGHT as the new kid or another new sim?I think in the perfect World to get the kind of simulator that our hobby is pushing towards, would ideally be made up from a consortium of the top Devs/Distribution guys - ie, Aerosoft, PMDG, ORBX, REX et al...Money is probably the only thing getting in the way of this, but at the end of the day our hobby would then be in the hands of genius's who have raised the bar so high in what we are enjoying now.

I hope that addon devs will take last potential of FSX before moving to another one, which will not be Flight thats for sure.

Why is there a need to have a "next"? Human nature I suppose.What is so incomplete about FSX? I will agree that it could be more stable as a computer program, but as a platform for flight simulation, I would say that it is almost complete. Unless you are looking to simulate the most complex computerized systems on a commercial jet liner like an Airbus, it's already here for you. Now again, HUMAN NATURE, we want to believe that something better is coming, and perhaps P3D is that thing, but thanks to add-on developers pushing the envelope within the FSX engine I think that we are already sitting pretty.I can tell you this, as a real-world pilot and one who is doing an instrument rating, FSX(and probably X-plane) with the right add-ons provides a realistic experience that will simulate nearly any type of real-world flying and improve your skill-set.All I am saying is, take a step back, look at the landscape of flight simulation today as it exists NOW, and realize, it's really quite good.
human nature.. perhaps. But probably more accurately, because FSX is 6 years old and in computer years that 12. Who wants and twelve year old piece of software .. thats the push for the next generation FS.

What is so incomplete about FSX?
Well, of course it depends on what you would like to see simulated but apart from the flying itself a lot of people like to look outside of the window and wtach the scenery. And as far as scenery is concerned we are still lightyears away from realistic scenery. Some addon airports come close, but even those don't come close to the real thing when you are on the ground. I won't be completely satisfied until things look like they do in real life... and I doubt if I will live to see that happening. Edited by J van E

I have no intention of switching from FSX. Prepar3d looks interesting, but its far too expensive to be a viable option for me and I don't want to get tied into monthly subscriptions. However, with regard to the people asking why some are so desperate to find an alternative, one must bear in mind as others have said that FSX is 6 years old, and was built on an ancient engine to begin with. Third parties have done wonders within the confines of what is possible, but there will come a time when the underlying architecture restricts any further enhancement.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I agree with you. Nothing beats FSX, but it looks old. Even with some pretty addon scenery installed immersion is highly disturbed by popping autogen, rotating clouds, poor lighting/shadowing, lack of support for modern hardware etc.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.