Sign in to follow this  
BreezyPointDeparture

Most Dangerous NGX Approaches and Departures

Ok, now is clear where all your nonsense is coming from.You have a long way to learn about flying...
now this is clear where your nonsense is coming, what do you know about flying.

OK both of you, no need to set this into a derogatory motion. We were all politely debating and regardless of his age, he is entitled to his opinion. Mine differs, but as atrdriver mentions above, FSX is a very useful tool for making real life easier. I too did every flight during flight school on FSX before going out to do it the next day. So FSX has lots of merit. I just strongly feel the stress of an emergency is what will cause you to rethink your opinion should the time ever come to play the hero. But please keep this polite guys.

I have shot this approach for real many times as an ATR captain when I was based in KSJU. Being told to expect that approach always put a smile on my face! It was challenging and required a constant turn all the way down to crossing the runway threshold. LOTS of fun!
Oh, thanks Terry, we always appreciate real airline pilots inputs here. Great stuff!! Yes, I tried this San Juan approach in the sim in a jet aircraft a few times and my record was not very good, failures were more numerous than successes. :(
now this is clear where your nonsense is coming, what do you know about flying.
Kid, your series of posts border on comical. To claim that an instructor gave you controls of a Cessna and you did it OK, proves nothing. Did you land this aircraft fully on your own? I doubt it. Did instructor leave you alone, again I doubt it. I suggest you take a few flying lessons and then come back and tell us how great a pilot you are. Edited by michal

I am not talking about myself, and BTW i have never said i am a good pilot. and BTW i kept on politeness all thread long.

that pilots really pulled the trigger.
That is seriously scary - looks like one of my landings! I'll have to give Toncontin a go sometime. :(

I have shot this approach for real many times as an ATR captain when I was based in KSJU. Being told to expect that approach always put a smile on my face! It was challenging and required a constant turn all the way down to crossing the runway threshold. LOTS of fun!
I actually need to correct something in my previous post. I was referring to the Bridge Visual to Rwy 10 at TJSJ (San Juan, PR). THAT is the challenging approach there! Terry!

That is seriously scary - looks like one of my landings! I'll have to give Toncontin a go sometime. :(
If you'r outside the TDZ, just go around! 2 approaches, double fun. No worries about fuel, its a sim :(Always be prepared to go around, it's as important as all the rest of your flight.Bert Van Bulck

a very cool (unrealistic) but awesome flight is Eagle County Aiport, CO (KEGE) to Sun Valley, ID (KSUN) -- Eagle can support the 737 and even bigger planes i believe, but Sun Valley can not - its very doable in the -600 SFP, but throw some wind and snow and terrible visibility and it is endless fun.

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

I have shot this approach for real many times as an ATR captain when I was based in KSJU. Being told to expect that approach always put a smile on my face! It was challenging and required a constant turn all the way down to crossing the runway threshold. LOTS of fun!Someone mentioned the VOR/DME approach to 13L/R at KJFK. I've done that one REAL LIFE several times as well. I actually have a video of a first officer I flew with a few months ago shooting that approach to 13L. The video isn't great because the camcorder was mounted on a mount suction-cupped to the side window. I couldn't be distracted by trying to free-hand record.I have also done the Rosslyn LDA approach to Rwy 19 at KDCA a couple of times. The last time was about three weeks ago, at night with the ceiling at 1200ft. It was quite challenging and my first time doing it as a jet captain (EMB-145).The most exciting approach I ever did in real life was the visual approach to Rwy 09 at TDPD (Melville Hall, Dominica). You enter the left downwind leg over the water at 2500ft. By the time you turn base, you are 200ft above the ground! The terrain rises from sea level to (I believe) around 5000ft within a few miles! There's a saddleback along the north face of a ravine the runs all the way back down to the airport. You have to get into that ravine to make the runway! I have a great video that a first officer shot of me flying that approach in 1999. Don't ask me to post it because, as much as I would like to, I can't.I use FSX to prep for my sim training events at work. I did my first recurrent training in the EMB-145 on December 27th, 2011. The training was basically a KRNO (Reno, NV) checkout. We have some very elaborate company-designed engine failure procedures for that airport due to high terrain surrounding the airfield. I practiced those procedures extensively using the FeelThere EMB-145 in FSX (Ultimate Terrain installed). That add-on is good enough to allow me to practice company profiles in preparation for training/checking events. I can tell you that having practiced those procedures at home on FSX made the actual EMB sim at work (which is a multi-million dollar full motion sim) seem easy. I was fully familiar with everything I was required to do for the training event.Obviously, my favorite add-on is the PMDG 737NGX. I need to go try some of these approaches using that add-on. especially with the HUD! By the way, I have sat in the 737NG jumpseat on many occasions. The last time I did so, I peeked over the captain's shoulder through the HUD. All I can say is that the PMDG recreation of that HUD is SPOT ON!!!Keep the blue side up!Terry
Hey,if you have any videos, can you tell me where i can see them? i always glad to see new quality videos(;, BTW your story was very interesting. voted LOL..

Try out rwy 29 at Alta (ENAT), Norway! Placed in the end of a fjord, mountains surrounding it, you have to fly a nice visual turn to get down, with only a mile or two to get stabalized on once you're out of the turn. SAS operates this airport with 737's on a daily basis.Vis app chart: https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENAT/EN_AD_2_ENAT_6-2_en.pdfAIP for Alta (and Norway, if you click "AIP Norway" at the top): https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENAT/enat.html
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned more o the Norwegian airports as well...I myself am currently enroute to ENTC do give that steep glide path a try...

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned more o the Norwegian airports as well...I myself am currently enroute to ENTC do give that steep glide path a try...
Nice one.I'll be flying it soon, thanks!Bert Van Bulck

Agreed. I used to fly those all the time back in FS9 because of the Norske Flyplasser add-on. Too bad there isn't similar for FSX! I loved flying up there when I was with vSAS.

Kyle Rodgers

I think I kinda opened up a can of worms here, and I'll attempt to cut it back down some. My point was that you shouldn't dismiss the idea that a sim 'pilot' could ever pull through in an impossible Airplane-style situation like that. That is all. Would I give them a license? Nope. Why? As mentioned, there's a lot more to it than being able to fly. There's the knowledge of the FARs, the AIM, fundamentals of flight, ATC basics, and so on, before even getting your private. Again, my point was that I'd argue some in the sim 'pilot' group could pull it off. I didn't say they'd pull it off well, or that we should just instantly certify sim 'pilots' with thousands of sim hours. Any sim pilot who wants to prove his/her stuff, even in as small of a plane as a Cessna is welcome to meet me at JYO for a run at it. I have 100% faith that you can pull it off, but I can nearly guarantee it won't be as good as someone who's flown outside the sim before. There's a difference between being able to do it, and being able to do it safely, and that's generally made up in the difference of experience and impassioned study.
and you can always try to show the real pilots you know the stuff. Like me when I got invited to the cockpit (I was 13 flying 13,000km on my own) and I impressed the pilots by the stuff I know (FMC operations, overhead panels and its switches etc) so the sim can do something. I like thinking of FS as a basic training system especially familiarizing yourself with the FMC and overhead operations, vatsim to make it even more realistic. I am certain it will have an effect on the real thing and all that pilot exams etc.Just my thought though