Sign in to follow this  
Houghton11

Alaska Airlines Equipment/Options?

Do the pilots at Alaska fly all the 737's or is a group for the -400 and a group for the NG's? Thanks

CJ

It's all one big family. We were segregated by ETOPS-qual and non-ETOPS-qual for a while, but everyone is ETOPS now.

The worst thing is always reaching for the EFIS control - it always seems to move around on me. :)

Matt Cee

Thanks for the answers/help so far with AS operations Matt. It's great for us that love to fly Alaska realistically. I've got some to tack on here if you don't mind.

1. Does AS use logo lights? I've seen photos (at night) where some have it on and some don't.

2. Is there a set number to use for reserves on the Perf Init page, or does it fluctuate depending on conditions?

3. I read above that you estimated the CI at 30 now. I've read from posts in the past that it's 15. Has this been a recent change?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, for now...

Thanks for the answers/help so far with AS operations Matt. It's great for us that love to fly Alaska realistically. I've got some to tack on here if you don't mind.

1. Does AS use logo lights? I've seen photos (at night) where some have it on and some don't.

2. Is there a set number to use for reserves on the Perf Init page, or does it fluctuate depending on conditions?

3. I read above that you estimated the CI at 30 now. I've read from posts in the past that it's 15. Has this been a recent change?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, for now...

Logo lights are only on the NG. They are usually on for night ops up to 18,000.

RES is variable, and probably never less than 4400 lbs. Usually it's around 6-7000 if I had to guess an average.

On the 3 flights I did yesterday, the CI was 15, so I think that that is the standard.

As far as derates, we do use CLB-1 and CLB-2.

And ignition alternates every leg, starting on R.

Matt Cee

The several flight plans I review daily while at work always show the CI of 15, with the exception of the ETOPS routes which use 45.

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

Call me crazy but the liveries have an asterisk next to them which means the equipment has been verified and is accurate...

Steve Giblin

Call me crazy but the liveries have an asterisk next to them which means the equipment has been verified and is accurate...

Are you saying you found an error in the livery or that you have an SOP question or something else?

Matt Cee

No just seemed people were asking what equipment were on the Alaska Ac. Just pointing out the liverys should be correct....no worries.

Didn't notice how old the thread was...was that you that provided the info to PMDG?

Steve Giblin

Logo lights are only on the NG. They are usually on for night ops up to 18,000.

This leads to some further questions. Are the landing lights left/turned off at the 18000ft transition? Does that include wing lights, and if not, are the wings toggled at 10,000ft?

How about takeoff flaps policy? For instance, Southwest and United tend to use flaps 5 all the time, most carriers seem to use flaps 1, what does Alaska use? Or is it dependent on the runway or other performance variables like weight?

Retractable landing lights can come off at 10k (CA discretion). Otherwise, Landing Turnoff, Logo, and Wing lights are off at 18k.

On the descent, just the reverse.

Alaska is 99% of the time, Flaps 5. Flaps 25 off places like Lihue. Sometime Flaps 1 in places like Denver. The computer gives us the numbers, and we shall abide. If for some reason we don't have ACARS, we can print up the numbers in Ops, or simply use the performance data from the charts that are in the iPad. If you want something different than what the computer gives you, you can override and it'll spit out new data.

Matt Cee

Good stuff Matt, thanks. Got some more random technical questions for ya regarding AS:

1. After looking at some pics on A.net, it seems there's a relation between certain fuel tanks and hydraulic pumps being on to whether or not the APU is started/on. For instance, when the APU appears to be running, the #1 Aft Fuel Pump is the only one on along with all hydraulic pumps on. Or, when the APU is off and GPU is connected, no fuel pumps are on and the two Elec hydraulic pumps are off. Is this procedure correct, or is there more to it with something I'm missing?

2. Engine Start procedure. Is #2 first standard? Also, referencing a couple other airline's procedures for the following: fuel cutoff on at 25%? Does AS turn off the "A" hydraulic pumps for pushback, or are all Hyd pumps left on? Lastly, are any packs turned back to on (and Iso Valve close) after the respective engine is started or are the packs just both left off until both engines are started?

3. What's the procedure, if any, for having a small amount of fuel in the center tank for takeoff? I know one airline turns them off if the fuel amount is less than a certain number, then back on during the after takeoff flow.

4. Is Autobrake 1 authorized?

Flaps 25 off places like Lihue.

Dang, 25?! Was that a typo for 15 or is flaps 25 actually used for t/o in rare cases?

Thanks again!

3. What's the procedure, if any, for having a small amount of fuel in the center tank for takeoff? I know one airline turns them off if the fuel amount is less than a certain number, then back on during the after takeoff flow.

AFAIK I know it's Boeing procedure (so applicable to all airlines) to have the centre pumps off for take-off with less than 5000 lbs in the tanks. It could be that that only applies to certain serial numbers though. I'm sure someone will be along with more information shortly :).

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Busy busy busy.

Good stuff Matt, thanks. Got some more random technical questions for ya regarding AS:

1. After looking at some pics on A.net, it seems there's a relation between certain fuel tanks and hydraulic pumps being on to whether or not the APU is started/on. For instance, when the APU appears to be running, the #1 Aft Fuel Pump is the only one on along with all hydraulic pumps on. Or, when the APU is off and GPU is connected, no fuel pumps are on and the two Elec hydraulic pumps are off. Is this procedure correct, or is there more to it with something I'm missing?

During the preflight, the elec hyd pumps come on - contrary to most airlines. There's been talk of changing this, but that's SOP right now. APU is typically on 10 minutes prior to push, if it's running the L Aft pump is running. No real link between fuel pumps and hydraulics other than don't run the elec hyd pumps with less that 1675.

2. Engine Start procedure. Is #2 first standard? Also, referencing a couple other airline's procedures for the following: fuel cutoff on at 25%? Does AS turn off the "A" hydraulic pumps for pushback, or are all Hyd pumps left on? Lastly, are any packs turned back to on (and Iso Valve close) after the respective engine is started or are the packs just both left off until both engines are started?

#2 is first. Idle at 25% or max motoring. Pumps stay on. Start #2, "Isolate and Ventilate" and start #1.

It depends on the model and mod status. If you have the placard for auto-shutoff, you can takeoff with tanks on down to 1000lbs and run them dry in the other phases. If you don't have the placard you do more of the standard procedure (5000, 3000, 1000). We open the cross-feed valve to trick the light logic with the low fuel so you get a master caution. Do that 1000 pounds before you go empty. I'll look at the specifics later. We actually have a cheat-sheet for this, and it's a Captain's Job, so I don't have to morally or legally know anything about it. :Waiting:

4. Is Autobrake 1 authorized?

It's not prohibited, so I guess so. I don't think anyone uses it, though.

Dang, 25?! Was that a typo for 15 or is flaps 25 actually used for t/o in rare cases?

F25 - good for short runways with no obstacles and heavy heavy birds.

Thanks again!

Matt Cee

Also, I was wondering does anyone have an Alaskan NG checklist?

Thanks,

Sam Kharey