Sign in to follow this  
Reason

Take off seconds after entering runway

Hello all.I want to ask what we call this kind of take off

.The MD 11 made a steep right turn entering the runway and directly engaged take off speed. I also experienced this in some flights I had (as a pax of course). Do they apply before take off checklist when taxiing? In what situations pilots are allowed/not allowed doing this?Thank you.regards,coltrane Edited by Coltrane

Guest bstolle

That's a standard take off. Once you enter the runway you always try to keep it rolling.The before take off checklist should be completed before entering the runway.You don't do this is when you are cleared to 'line up and hold'

Thank you for your answer. So, that's it? when it is not required to line up and hold, they can actually conduct that kind of take off every time?

Thank you for your answer. So, that's it? when it is not required to line up and hold, they can actually conduct that kind of take off every time?
The most common instructions would be: "line up and hold" time passed "cleared to take-off rwy 27L (read back of any SID clearance) wind etc, etc."Or whilst waiting or arriving at the holding point:"Speedbird 2578 ready fo departure". "Speedbird2578 roger"."Cleared to take-of rwy 27L (read back of any SID clearance) wind etc, etc."What you don't do of course is take-off without clearance aka KLM!!!!vololiberista

Not an MD-11. Caption states it's a DC-10.

Guest bstolle
So, that's it? when it is not required to line up and hold, they can actually conduct that kind of take off every time?
There's not much to do. When you are close to the runway heading you advance the thrustlevers to about 60-70% N1, and make sure that the engines spool up evenly.Once they are established at that power setting and you are on the runway heading, you engage the autothrottle (and start the stopwatch) and that's it.Especially on a heavy you don't do brake release take offs, so you are actually are shortening the take off run (a tiny bit) when you keep such a high mass in motion.Furthermore there's most probably a landing traffic already on final so you (and ATC) want to keep the runway occupancy time as short as possible.If you get the the clearance, 'cleared for immediate take-off' and you stop after lining up, ATC will definitely not be very happy. Edited by bstolle

As everyone has explained it is called a rolling take off and is recommeded whenever possible. You do lose a little bit of TORA however you gain with the Kinetic energy/MomentumAlso there is note in the FEDEX FCOM regarding the MD11 & MD10, a rolling Take off reduces the chance of an engine surge. Will have to dig up the exact details as this is from memory.Regards

Rob Prest

Is this only done on heavies or also some smaller ones like the 737?

Can be done on any aircraft unless SOP dictates otherwise.

Rob Prest

Guest bstolle

Smaller ones (including GA) as well.

"line up and wait" :Nerd:I'm still trying to figure out the significance of the hold vs wait nitpick the FAA started last year.
To align us better with ICAO standards. Soon we will be saying decimal instead of point.
Is this only done on heavies or also some smaller ones like the 737?
We do the same thing with the King Air. We put in power and let the engines stabilize as we come around the corner to make sure they are working then up to max torque and off we go.

Not an MD-11. Caption states it's a DC-10.
correct, I didn't notice that there are no winglets, I typed "MD 11 take off" on youtube search box and came up with this. :).

correct, I didn't notice that there are no winglets, I typed "MD 11 take off" on youtube search box and came up with this. :).
No sweat. YT does throw up some funnies.On another subject, purely out of amicable curiosity, as your interests are listed a 'all that jazz' and you have the name of a jazz legend, is jazz your bag?

Can be done on any aircraft unless SOP dictates otherwise.
A month ago I experienced a rolling t/o in a 737/7 which had only 16 pax onboard, so you can imagine how light we were.For OP, you may not know, but is this Fedex 658 Heavy? Usually departs KBOS appx 8:30am most mornings....I listen every day to KBOS atc and most mornings they don't receive immediate takeoff instructions..'line up and wait' is the norm. Maybe it's a different flight...maybe as another member mentioned there was another a/c on final, probably just depends case by case. Most of my heavy 744, etc. take off's have been of the line up/wait variety.

Alan