Sign in to follow this  
Andy764

APR Not working

I have as small issue that I cannot figure myself, so I'm gonna ask.. I am still learning and taking it bit by bit so bear with me. Scenario is I have just been practising flying aproaches and landing using the ILS and APR Modes Literally taking off from Runway 08 at EGGW flying a loop and landing on Runway 08. All good.. Now if I set actual weather conditions then with the wind direction runway in use switches to 26, I take off do my loop whilst setting the frequency on NAV 1 and set the course to 256 turn the aircraft to intercept the localiser then when intercepted enable APR mode. All of this so far is exactly as per my process with RW08, however now as soon as I select APR my course switches to 076 (08's Course) and instead of showing me "VOR LOC" and "Single" I get shown BCRS, (which I can only assume means BAck Course. At this point the aircraft will follow the localizer laterally but ignors the glideslopeand flys right over the top of the runway. I have checked I am at the right altitude etc etc.I am using Saitek Pro Yoke system with Saitek Thrust levers. Although I have assigned certain key actions to buttons on the controls, nothing to do with the Auto Pilot/Autoland system has been assigned and is using default key presses or direct button presses on screen with a mouse.Any thoughts gratefully received, its starting to get to me...Many thanksAndy.

Andy Mahaffey

lntel  i7 6700k Skylake​ (watercooled)

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

​Win 10, FSX -SE (with CH Pedals and Saitek Proflight Yoke)

The FMC was set to ILS RW 26. It was showing me the correct ILS Frequency, Course, and Runway. Is it likely to be anything to do with the ILS frequency is the same for RW 26 as it is for RW08 and I have missed a check box somewhere? I never had this happen on the 737 NG for FS9. I obviously realise the level of realism is significantly higher in the NGX, hence why I asking if I have mised something.ThanksAndy.

Edited by Andy764

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

Is it likely to be anything to do with the ILS frequency is the same for RW 26 as it is for RW08...
You hit the nail on the head!! It seems that your FMC has been setup to automatically select the course heading when you dial in the frequency and it is already receiving the ILS for Rwy 8 because you were initially on that side of the airport when you selected the frequency. FMC therefore retains that ILS transmitter signal as selected even when you fly to the opposite side of the airport in preparation for Rwy 26! Two possible solutions:First would be to change FMC arrival rwy to 26 and then deselect the frequency UNTIL you are on the Rwy 26 side of the airport. Then reselect it and it should automatically give you the FMC database course for that transmitter. Double check by selecting the VHF audio for NAV1 and the Morse code should agree with the chart (this confirmation is a SOP in real world).A better solution might be to DESELECT the automatic ILS course selection in the FMC and manually input it, but again, in this case, verify that you are receiving the correct Morris code for the ILS 26 approach and not the ILS 8. If not you need to deselect the frequency in Nav1 and then reselect it again the same as above.

Craig, (or anyone else)I have tried what yousuggested, and still it refuses to see the glideslope correctly and no matter what I do as soon as I hit that APR button my course setting switches from 256 to 076 and the aircraft ignors the glideslope. Even if I open FSX start a new flight and set the wind so I know RW 26 will be in use it still behaves as described above. If anyone wants to have a go, and see if its just me please do. I sadly have to earn a living away for the next day or so. So I wont be able to try again until at least late tomorrow night (UK time)Many thanks for any input you can give..Andy

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

Would be great if you could make a video of it.

Craig, (or anyone else)I have tried what yousuggested, and still it refuses to see the glideslope correctly and no matter what I do as soon as I hit that APR button my course setting switches from 256 to 076 and the aircraft ignors the glideslope. Even if I open FSX start a new flight and set the wind so I know RW 26 will be in use it still behaves as described above. If anyone wants to have a go, and see if its just me please do. I sadly have to earn a living away for the next day or so. So I wont be able to try again until at least late tomorrow night (UK time)Many thanks for any input you can give..Andy
I agree with Craig !You have to stop the NGX from auto-selecting your course. ( Setup-PMDG/Options/Simulation/ SET FSX LOC CRS. ) Turn it off !!I have flown those 2 runways with zero problems. ILS 109.15 for both runways.Fred.

Fred,I have now done what yourself and Craig suggested, apologies I was looking in the wrong area. However now thats done when intercepting the glideslope/localizer the aircraft now turns completely away from the airport, as if following the direction of RW 08. It still appears as B/CRS on the main panel. Hopefully attached to this are some images of what I am seeing. As aid this is done at a very basic level, literally taking off looping the airfield and trying to intercept the G/S..ThanksAndy.

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

Hi AndyI have chirped in here as I have the data for EGGW from Navigraph. Although both ILS have the same frequency they are in fact called by a different name. So you can see in the top left near the speed tape (the nav director?) which end you are tuned to. RW08 is labelled 109.15 ILTN and RW 26 is labelled 109.15 ILJ, look to see of the LOC catches the correct ILS when you intercept it. I can't make it out on the screenshot.hope this helps, if I get time I will fly this as well and see what happensregardsJohn Calleja (armchair pilot.)

Edited by jc_150

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

As I have the full res image I can see it is definately locking on to ILTN. Question I now have is where/how do you change this? :-)ThanksAndy.

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

Hi again andy,what I think I would do is to take off from another airport so that you approach EGGW 26 from that side then see what LOC name locks in, then you can be sure that you are nowhere near the LOC of 08 when it intercepts. EGSS and EGLL would be good airports. And I think i would tune both nav radios to the frequency and set both courses to 256. PS if you do not have maps if you take off from EGSS rw 22 and shortly turn about 295 degrees for about 12 miles or so you should be almost on the ILS for EGGW rw26regardsJohn Calleja

Edited by jc_150

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Thanks John, I'll give it ago.Andy.

Andy Mahaffey

​8GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 960 Graphics

HiyaJust about to try the EGSS to EGGW, have a very basic flight prep. No fmc set up just the irs's aligned, set both radios to 109.15, both courses to 259, and switched on both F/D just for good luck, and on the ground at EGSS rw 22 and EGGW ils rw 26 ILJ is showing on the top left by the speedtape and I am not off the ground yet.John Calleja

Edited by jc_150

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

HiyaSuccessful, took off 22 EGSS climbed to 2500 ft. turned 295, held alt, speed and direction with autopilot Armed LOC, it captured, G/S came in , and let it auto land single channel.So plane is ok, fsx is happy with ILS 26 EGGW.approach from different airpot.John Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg