Sign in to follow this  
SpeedPilot

Fly the Maddog Professional 2010 worth buying if...

Fly the Maddog Professional 2010 worth buying if I already have the CLS MD-81/82 and the F1 Super mega_shok.gif for FSX? Also with the Maddog Professional 2010 are you in the virtual cockpit right away after a flight loads or is there a menu on the screen before the virtual cockpit of the Maddogg? Also how are the frame rates on the Maddogg compared to say, the PMDG 737-700 in the virtual cockpit or the Captain Sim 767-200?

The Leonardo Maddog is one of the best airliner simulations, period, and I would recommend over all other MD-8X simulations. It even stands up to the NGX in terms of systems depth and authenticity, but of course not in the visual area because of its age.

You can certainly start - and fly it completely - it in the VC mode, there's no need to ever visit the 2D thingy. All of the circuit breakers work: it has a great failure system built in; all the sounds are controllable. One can fly in shared cockpit without issue. The PF and PNF have their completely independent instruments. Read the blurb on the site - there's far too much to remember (or write) here. If you like "busy" and authenticity this is the number one. Of course... you might need some help...

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

there's no need to ever visit the 2D thingy.
That's the best description I've ever seen of the 2D cockpit. It is indeed, an awful, immersion-killing, flat, unrealistic, dead... thingy!

The VC in the maddog is kinda bad and the framerate is about the worst in any payware. The framerate worse than the NGX for sure. Luckily the 2d panel is excellent. And so is every other aspect of the Maddog as well. Its the best addon for FSX in my opinion. Yes, its better than the NGX.

Like the other guys, the plane is hands down one of the best available. As far as the VC, yes the graphics are dated-- but there are some "mods" that let you update the textures. Framerates aren't that bad on my system-- certainly no worst than the NGX and probably better. If you have the slightest interest in learning the MD, get it!!p.s. I had the Flight1 MD and sat on the fence really wondering if it was worth the money. Glad I did!!

Another Maddog fan here. I'd recommend the FS2Crew voice commander for it as it really allows a ton of interaction and also adds another pair of hands in the takeoff and approach sections.Framerates a tough, but you can tune the gauge settings in the config tool, which helps a bit. This tool also defines how you fly her, so you enable/disable the VC there. It also offers a ton of features and airline options, besides a fuel planner and all the things for e. g. your preference on sound and keyboard settings. Very powerful tool.If you already run some MD-8x addon, this may help indeed. The Maddog shows it's age on the texture sharpness and gauge clearity in my eyes, but you still get a full 3D VC and a very nice lighting system, no rigid on/off setup.You may like the system details as they, in my eyes, still offer quite some benchmark items although the thing is some years old. It also adds a weather radar and a terrain display to the game and if you get your crew with FS2Crew or some friend flying shared cockpit with you, the immersion couldn't be higher.Be aware that Dx10 is something the Maddog doesn't like. Just in case you are running FSX that way. In Dx9, you can use a ton of liveries from the library, so that package on the Leonardo site is just the beginning.Funny forum soft. Turns the phrase M D - 8 0 into some smiley. :(

Edited by CoolP

A mod is mentioned to update the textures? I do love the systems of this bird, but as a VC flyer using TrackIR the poor VC is difficult for me to get past. An improvement here might help.

- Aaron

Letme chime in here. The Maddog is still at the very top of my list. if not for the vasrtly superior modeling of the PMDG 737NGX, I'd say the Maddog was as good as the PMDG 737NGX. However, the 737NGX has a bit of an edge due to its better modeling and performance. To date, the Maddog has been one of the lower performers in my collection, it's rather heavy. That said, the systems and flight dynamics are a treat. Every time I fly the plane I still feel joy. All in all, I wouldn't lie if I said I like it better than the PMDG 737NGX, even though the modleling is less good. It just has that something, a cerrtain feeling of authenticity, that makes it really enjoyable. Everything just works, it fits, and it all combines to make one hell of a package. Seriously, I still think this is one of the best aircraft ever to be made for FS.Since you have the Flight1 Super, which is a great plane because of other reasons (great performance and great training program), I suspect you are familiar with Maddog procedures. Don't be fooled though! The Leonardo Maddog is different than the Flight 1 Super! Overall systems work somewhat the same, but there are some differences (lack of dedicated IRS switches, for example) that will probably be confusing in the beginning. Nevertheless, the Maddog is the one I ended up flying the most. By the way, the config manager and setup program is, as CoolP said, an extraordinarily great tool. I have mever seen something THIS useful among any other addon! No, not even PMDG's to0ols come close, in my opinion, to the useability and greatness of this tool. It makes flight planning soooo easy. i wish every addon had this tool.The Maddog has a host of other features that make it so much fun. There is, for exmaple a (limited) interaction built-in with the cbain crew, like a PA emergency light test. When you are ready for the passnegers to board, you instruct the cabin cerw to start boarding, and when they are done, you get an actual load sheet to cross reference with the data in the FMS. The whole plane is like this one, functional unity. I greatly miss this kind of thing on other addons. The LDS767 would come closest in this functionality.EDIT: Hm, seems the number eighty is turned into mega_shok.gif

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Okay, I guess I get to be the jerk here. Be cautious, because there is basically no support from the developers at all. They are minimally active on the forums. I have to say that it is incredible in its depth of simulation, systems are awesome and there is a ton of customization. But, there are some very obvious bugs that have gone untreated for years. My big problem is the taxiing, it constantly veers hard left. I've messed with all the settings in CH, FSX and Windows 7 to no avail. I am unable to post on ther forum because my "application" (I can't think of a better term) must be approved by a moderator before I can post. It's been a week now. My big point I want to drive home, after reading many posts, is that we should not have to use so many work-arounds just to get her to function properly. I've only made 2 succesful flights so far, out of 5 attempts. Every time it's a different issue; engines randomly shutting down and unable to restart following the checklists and manuals, the described taxi issues and some CTDs. I'm sure I will be the subject of hate mail after this post, but I'm trying to give a view of some not-so-good issues to counter balance and try to present both sides. I really, really want to get her up and running, but it's becoming so frustrating that I don't know if it's worth it for me. Some of the users on the forum blast people asking questions or making posts like mine, poiting out issues and asking why aren't these being taken care of. The lack of a VC is not a big issue, as I do most of my flying from the 2D panels. I find flying by VC is too cumbersome, having all the panels, switches, etc right in front of me without having to cycle through different view points works much better (do not own TrackIR or any other similar devices). I just returned from about a 2 year break from FS. I previously owned the '08 version on FS9 and really never had any problems, I don't know why the current version is so troublesome. So as I said, I'm probably burning bridges and incurring the wrath of some, it's just I really want it to work without having to trowel the forums looking for work arounds to my latest problem. It's moderately pricey and I guess I was expecting better support. I don't want to go down the road of comparing other devs, but it's hard not to have those thoughts in the back of my mind. :(

Edited by WYfox22

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Okay, I guess I get to be the jerk here.
I don't think you make yourself a jerk when stating about a negative impression. I mean, that's what free forums are for, to allow for all viewpoints to be posted.However, I may add that I'm not aware of a common CTD problem, or that taxi issue or an engine shutdown character trait on the Maddog (when the systems are properly handled). So it may indeed be the case that these are support issues. I haven't used their forums so far as I've found all the answer I've needed, but I think I can confirm your impression on the rather low dev interaction there. It's more of a user to user thing in my eyes.One more note.
The lack of a VC is not a big issue
The plane comes with a VC of course. One just has to activate it.I must admit that the Maddog's fascination also derives from the fact that it's not just another Boeing in the sim. Same on the MD-11 from PMDG. Edited by CoolP

+ 1 with Benjamin and CoolP.The Maddog IS STILL a fantastic add-on and will probably remain one greatest ever. The systems modeling/depth and FDE are INCREDIBLE. Great sound pack too.I too feel some "authenticity" each time I fly her. AMAZING bird really. You can feel the passion of David Marras (Lead dev) for the MD-82 in every single part of this beautiful piece of software.I personally don't have FPS problem with it thanks to the powerful tool allowing to adjust gauge settings.Yes, support from the devs has been ZERO for years now... And YES, the optics are outdated (but we've seen worse lately with the Wilco 737 Evo lol... anyway).Personally never had CTD or taxiing problem either.About the IRS thing : the Maddog is based on Meridiana/Alitalia MDs which aren't equipped with IRS. They have two AHRS instead.PS : Oh forgot to say... FS2Crew for this add-on is very well done. And Multicrew is just something ELSE.

Edited by Epikk

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

I get to be the jerk here
No, mate. No one sharing his personal (and well justified) feelings about an addon is a jerk.Your comments are always welcome and I have read them with interest.
engines randomly shutting down and unable to restart
It so not a bug! It is a feature showing extreme realism of this simulation.The same thing would happen if you weren't very careful about engines parametres in a real maddog.
there are some very obvious bugs that have gone untreated for years.
As for other comments of yours: I have never seen the bugs, so they are rather user specific plus, as mentioned above, there is a VC.
there is basically no support from the developers at all
True but the registered users support at the LH Maddog's forum is very good, way better that at many 'official' developers' forums.I guess all problems (99% of which are the result of a user's misusage of a feature or an operational technique) are given solutions.To summarize in my eyes: as far as systems and 'the feeling' go, it is number 1 addon of all times.I could only compare it to Digital Aviation Fokker 100 (no vc, sadly) and PT Tu-154M.It has some weaker points, maily concerned with graphics, but still rocks like hell!FOR CLARIFICATION: I know and use the FS9 version, not the FSX one. But I don't think they differ. Maybe someone can comment on it. Edited by Rafal

Okay, I guess I get to be the jerk here. Be cautious, because there is basically no support from the developers at all. They are minimally active on the forums. I have to say that it is incredible in its depth of simulation, systems are awesome and there is a ton of customization. But, there are some very obvious bugs that have gone untreated for years. My big problem is the taxiing, it constantly veers hard left. I've messed with all the settings in CH, FSX and Windows 7 to no avail. I am unable to post on ther forum because my "application" (I can't think of a better term) must be approved by a moderator before I can post. It's been a week now. My big point I want to drive home, after reading many posts, is that we should not have to use so many work-arounds just to get her to function properly. I've only made 2 succesful flights so far, out of 5 attempts. Every time it's a different issue; engines randomly shutting down and unable to restart following the checklists and manuals, the described taxi issues and some CTDs. I'm sure I will be the subject of hate mail after this post, but I'm trying to give a view of some not-so-good issues to counter balance and try to present both sides. I really, really want to get her up and running, but it's becoming so frustrating that I don't know if it's worth it for me. Some of the users on the forum blast people asking questions or making posts like mine, poiting out issues and asking why aren't these being taken care of. The lack of a VC is not a big issue, as I do most of my flying from the 2D panels. I find flying by VC is too cumbersome, having all the panels, switches, etc right in front of me without having to cycle through different view points works much better (do not own TrackIR or any other similar devices). I just returned from about a 2 year break from FS. I previously owned the '08 version on FS9 and really never had any problems, I don't know why the current version is so troublesome. So as I said, I'm probably burning bridges and incurring the wrath of some, it's just I really want it to work without having to trowel the forums looking for work arounds to my latest problem. It's moderately pricey and I guess I was expecting better support. I don't want to go down the road of comparing other devs, but it's hard not to have those thoughts in the back of my mind. :(
Then let me counterbalance your post with some of my own impressions :(- I never have seen the taxi issue you describe. It works completely normally for me. Not sure your issue could be though... If you checked your controllers, did you check your engines? maybe one ngine is turned off, causing the palne to turn in the opposite direction?- Can't remember any specific Maddog-related CTD. All CTD s I had were caused by scenery or FSX being the program it is.- Engines randomly shutting down? Never heard of that before... Or, is this upon takeoff? It is not uncommon for the engines to fail if you apply full thrust! The engines will then overheat, get damaged and shut down. Use TO/GA mode instead to set thrust. This would also explain why you can't restaret the engine that shut down. For, you can't start a destroyed engine! Other that this, I have had no "random" engine shutdowns though.- As was said, there is a VC. You have to activate it via the setup manager, though.Beware! The Maddog is a plane you have to fly by the book, and by the book only. Knowledge from othe rplanes may seem transferable, but overall, I'd recommend to forgot about other planes and learn the Maddog anew. Also, if you haven't flown her a while, you'll need to resettle a bit. I've noticed that I tend to forget many details in the procedures of the Maddog that I may have a hard time remembering... until it is too late. I do agree with you on the support. official support is virtually non-existant.Fritz: Didn't know that about the IRS! Thanks, that's an interesting piece of info.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

There is a VC, but again, very poor in my opinion. If that's where you do most of your flying I fear you will be disappointed. I can't argue any of the other points though. It is a wonderful plane aside from the VC issue.

- Aaron