Sign in to follow this  
MrBenevolent

Kinetic for PC arriving in Feb - could it replace Track IR?

MS officially announced the Kinect for PC at CES.I have absolutely no idea how the APIs for something like this would work with FSX, but is it conceivable that one could develop a plugin to use the Kinect in place of Track IR and thus lose the need for a headset/cap etc?Cheers

If you want head tracking without the cap you can always checkout FaceTrackNoIR. It uses a regular web cam and tracks your face, so you don't need anything more than that!A Kinect might make such tracking even better, especially for the head movements in the forward and back directions, since you can actually measure the exact distance the head has moved, instead of relying on how much larger your face is when it's moved closer to the camera. I think the accuracy is pretty good already, but it can always be even better. I don't know if the Kinect would help in figuring out where your head is turned, since your head can look in many directions while it is in approximately the same place, though I guess if the accuracy is good enough you can always figure out where the nose is pointing! :(

MS officially announced the Kinect for PC at CES.I have absolutely no idea how the APIs for something like this would work with FSX, but is it conceivable that one could develop a plugin to use the Kinect in place of Track IR and thus lose the need for a headset/cap etc?Cheers
With the proper hooks for software it certainly could. It could also enable things like throwing switches, turning knobs, pressing buttons, and so on. This will revolutionize the computer interface - MS knows that and is spending a lot of R&D money to make it so. You'll soon have appliances (TVs first) that are motion controlled, and PC touch screens will be antiquated - think "Minority Report".DJ

After using kinect for over a year now on xbox 360, I am very excited about the potential this has.

After using kinect for over a year now on xbox 360, I am very excited about the potential this has.
X1

With the proper hooks for software it certainly could. It could also enable things like throwing switches, turning knobs, pressing buttons, and so on. This will revolutionize the computer interface - MS knows that and is spending a lot of R&D money to make it so. You'll soon have appliances (TVs first) that are motion controlled, and PC touch screens will be antiquated - think "Minority Report".DJ
Everyone thinks minority report with the current xbox kinect. I think once you get over the ubercool factor of menu control with gestures, most of us go back to using the controller again. Just seems more practical.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Everyone thinks minority report with the current xbox kinect. I think once you get over the ubercool factor of menu control with gestures, most of us go back to using the controller again. Just seems more practical.
So true.

My understanding is that you must be about 6-8 feet away from the box. I guess there would need to be some adjustments or a new version which would allow the user to be closer.It sure sounds like a wonderful technology. It can even track 4-6 people at the same time.Bob

My understanding is that you must be about 6-8 feet away from the box. I guess there would need to be some adjustments or a new version which would allow the user to be closer.It sure sounds like a wonderful technology. It can even track 4-6 people at the same time.Bob
I've actually used it - you need not be at any specific distance. It is a wonderful technology and will soon be in many devices.DJ

Just so I understand this. I could pick my nose with right index finger which could put the gear down? Wow, gotta love it.Bobf

Just so I understand this. I could pick my nose with right index finger which could put the gear down? Wow, gotta love it.Bobf
or better still you could make a gesture that looks like you are pulling a landing gear lever? :(

Mind your facial expression when flying the F-18. A frightened pilot may trigger the ejection seat. Ok, rumours only.

or better still you could make a gesture that looks like you are pulling a landing gear lever? :(
You really now how to take fun into the forest and shoot it. Do you know my wife?Bob

LOL....no, but I do know some other hand gestures that may be useful! :(