Sign in to follow this  
jbinner

any pro or casual photographers?

Just curious, I just bought a new SLR-ish camera and was wondering what everyone thought of the model choice? I picked up a Sony Alpha A-35 linked here:http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SLTA35My #1 priority was being able to shoot better stills at my son's soccer games, which of course means speed. All the rest is icing on the cake to me. They DO have a higher-end model in the A55, but this was within my budget. Shutter speed is up to 7FPS in medium res jpg images, with a class-10 SD card.So anyone else with a thought? Good choice?(and yes, I considered the EOS Rebel 3Ti's, but they are WAY pricey and only shoot 2.2FPS....so much for all those old Tennis star commercials! :)

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

The Sony SLRs are top notch. The a35 is no exception even being the lower end of the range. You'll love it.I had my mits on my friend's a77 he bought himself last week (Actually, he was my pilot examiner for all of my ratings). We took the 182 up and snapped shots of his land. I have to say, Sony's newish to the SLR range, but their cameras offer some neat features. The shutter speeds amaze me.

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You made an excellent choice. The A-35 uses the same sensor that Nikon puts in the D7000, and it is extremely good. I have read many reviews of the A-35 and I have yet to see a negative review of it.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

feeling better about this. :) Keep em coming! :)

John Binner, MCDST

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

As someone who has spent 10s of thousands on Nikon equipment, I sure can't say anything bad about that sensor :)I'd place more importance on the lens though, which one did you get?

Noah Bryant

...I'd place more importance on the lens though, which one did you get?
So true.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

I have been using Sony SLR's for years. The one you picked will be more then enough for the sort of work you are expecting out of it. It is a great starter and a great price range as well. You will be very happy with it.I still have an old Sony DSC-H5 that I have beaten up over the years. It is about 6 or 7 years old now but never scratches or never had any problems with it....and I do really abuse that one as it is my trusty old beater. You can depend on Sony camera's for years to come.Cheers

Matthew Kane

Kit came with an 18-55 lense kit. Starter lense for now, will get the reach out and touch me one next year. :)Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

John Binner, MCDST

got the camera in today, but too late in evening to play with it before work, and the class-10 SD card arriving tomorrow. :) I will post some samples when I get it all going. :)

John Binner, MCDST

Can't wait to see them, John. Get some aircraft glamor shots at your local airport! :( Ask the FBO folks if you can't get on the ramp or even near the runway for action shots. (Just don't act suspicious)

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

ohhhhh that is a good idea. :) KALB's cell lot is right against the fence to the runway too! :)

John Binner, MCDST

sooo camera is in. :) Been messing around a bit with the portrait modes with my cat....only question I have from those is how to set focus on the forward point, ie her head or her paw, and not have it focus on the "middle" area. I think I figured out to change the continual focus to once only, but not sure yet....will have to do some reading I am sure!I switched from portrait to "A" (appeture priority) and set the value as LOW as I could; book says this will blur out the background and foreground, focusing on the focal point...only problem is, the focal point is continuous...again I think this is a setting with continual vs. once and HOLD.....have to find that setting.....Other then that, just some messing around with how QUICK this beast is! weather hasn't been good enough to go outside recently for anything else, but I will get to it! :) Overall VERY pleased with the purchase. :)

John Binner, MCDST

Casual photographer. Salesman of many - very nice in my position I can try out new models when they come out, take them home and make bunch of pics and do a personal opinion.Don't like Canon - too cold pictures for my taste (need lot of Photoshop)Alpha - good pic quality, don't like the button positions (the one that you're supposed to reach with your thumb, on the sloped part of the camera), some advantages over Nikon like builtin stabilizers... (I don't know a35 per se)Nikon - my choice - great pic quality, warmtoned pictures, much like the D90, others are too expensive or too bad (I like the Pentaprisma instead of Mirror in the viewfinder, especially the factor 0.98 - cheaper ones have 0.6-0.7, which I don't prefer)Just my 2c.

Edited by Kosta