Sign in to follow this  
Cpudan80

Worth the Upgrade? (C2Duo --> i7 2600)

Hello folks,I'm considering upgrading my current machine and wanted to get your opinions on whether or not the upgrade is worth it. Some background, the machine is just a general purpose machine that I also happen to use FS9 on. Don't use FSX too much since I'm satisfied with my FS9 setup, but obviously moving to a new machine I'd start fresh -- so would probably move to FSX.Current Specs:- Core 2 Duo E6600 (stock, not overclocked) @ 2.4 GHs- 8 GBs RAM (DDR 2 / 800)- Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (1GB)Here's what I am considering upgrading to. I'm not dead set on any of the components, other than the i7 series CPU & Nvidia gfx card. Any recommendations are appreciated. Price is a factor here - but again I'm open to reasonable suggestions.(I didn't list all the components, [ie. motherboard, etc], yes I know I need a new motherboard.)Upgrade Options:- i7 2600K (I have no desire to overclock the thing, but will buy the K SKU in case I decide to blaze that trail.)- 16 GBs RAM (DDR3 / 1600)- Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (probably this one). <-- Is the 580 really worth the $300 price differential?So - that's what I'm thinking about. Still on the fence about whether or not to go with an SSD. My office ordered a bunch of Intel SSDs a month or so go - and nearly all of them had to be sent back or have had other issues. A few bad ones are expected, but not 60%+Thanks in advance for any suggestions, all help is appreciated.- Dan

Edited by Cpudan80

That system will blow your C2D system away.

• For FSX, I strongly advise looking into possibly overclocking. The difference is very marked, and FSX really starts to shine at 4GHz+. Today I tested FPS between stock and the current OC of 4.5GHz at KSEA. the difference was 12 (!) FPS. In either case, make sure to get a quality aftermarket cooler.
  • 16GB is not necessary unless you have a particular need for so much memory. I would stick to a quality 1.5v 1600MHz 8GB dual channel CAS7-9 kit. Typically in the price range of $60-$90.
  • The 560ti is a good deal for FSX. Word Not Allowed or Stephen will soon come in here to say otherwise, but I'm more interested in saving $300 than gaining 5 FPS with extreme anti-aliasing settings.
  • Skip on the SSD. It's young, expensive technology. Stick to the F3 Spinpoints or better yet the WD Caviar Blacks. They offer great performance with large cache, good prices, and large capacity.

What case are you looking into? People greatly underestimate the importance of "breathing room" for a system. What PSU are you using?

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks for the tips. I do programming and stuff with VMs (obviously not while running FS!) -- so 16GBs of RAM is important in my situation.For a case I'm looking athttp://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119233Yeah I know the case isn't flashy. I don't particularly like the cases with lots of lights / windows / etc. The computer sits off in the corner where nobody will ever look at it. I don't want / need a full tower (don't intend on doing SLI or having more than 1-2 HDDs [i need < 1TB total]).The power supply is :http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139021

Edited by Cpudan80

With that case, I would go with a modular:http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139031http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139012 <-- A little better.The Corsair AXs are nicer, based on the Seasonic X. Cool, quiet, and reliable.That case is a bit cheapo and cramped, but I guess it will get the job done!Just nitpicks. Looks like you've got a solid budget PC ready to go!

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah the case is a little cheapo ... I'll look around for something a little nicer. It's gotta fit under a table (which is pretty low), so I can't have anything too tall ...

The 560ti is a good deal for FSX. Word Not Allowed or Stephen will soon come in here to say otherwise, but I'm more interested in saving $300 than gaining 5 FPS with extreme anti-aliasing settings.
You got that one right. There is a reason why I'm ending each of my flights with an average of 28-30fps - 8xs+2xSGSS (some even push 4xSGSS), with 2048 clouds, sceneries on both ends (UK2000, FSDT, LatinVFR, online aircraft on VATSIM, UTX+GEX+MS, PMDG 747, NGX, LevelD 767), a setup filled with addons and stuff - no crashes, no glitches.Besides, here is a thing I remember: in the times when Bojote discovered BP=0 tweak, I have also been testing with my older system, i7-920@4.2 and GTX285. It was working beautifully. Then I got the i7-2600K - I was suddenely confronted with massive glitches and errors. I started inquiring why and trying to find out. Bojote himself thought and that has stayed as consensus till today - BP=0 needs strong GPU to support the CPU, to prevent graphical errors. My GTX285 was being overloaded and giving spots all the time.Then I bought GTX580 a week later - and voila - stable. I get glitches funnily only at UK2000 EGLL.Without BP=0 my FPS would drop into the attic. I wouldn't even consider running without it any more. There were countless threads from moi about BP=0 being unstable on 2600K, but this must have stabilised with newer drivers and whatever. All I know I can't crash it now.So, I strongly believe if you want to max out of your FSX, including tweaks that are "unstable" by some, you need strong hardware support, if you can afford it. If not, 560ti is a good deal. Edited by Kosta

Any chance that Kepler might be our savior for FSX?

Edited by benorg

Any chance that Kepler might be our savior for FSX?
It's not going to be that big a deal for FSX. Maybe in the scenario Word Not Allowed gave, but no. People with Core 2 rigs will be griping that their GPU upgrade to Kepler didn't help FSX frames... Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You got that one right. There is a reason why I'm ending each of my flights with an average of 28-30fps - 8xs+2xSGSS (some even push 4xSGSS), with 2048 clouds, sceneries on both ends (UK2000, FSDT, LatinVFR, online aircraft on VATSIM, UTX+GEX+MS, PMDG 747, NGX, LevelD 767), a setup filled with addons and stuff - no crashes, no glitches.Besides, here is a thing I remember: in the times when Bojote discovered BP=0 tweak, I have also been testing with my older system, i7-920@4.2 and GTX285. It was working beautifully. Then I got the i7-2600K - I was suddenely confronted with massive glitches and errors. I started inquiring why and trying to find out. Bojote himself thought and that has stayed as consensus till today - BP=0 needs strong GPU to support the CPU, to prevent graphical errors. My GTX285 was being overloaded and giving spots all the time.Then I bought GTX580 a week later - and voila - stable. I get glitches funnily only at UK2000 EGLL.Without BP=0 my FPS would drop into the attic. I wouldn't even consider running without it any more. There were countless threads from moi about BP=0 being unstable on 2600K, but this must have stabilised with newer drivers and whatever. All I know I can't crash it now.So, I strongly believe if you want to max out of your FSX, including tweaks that are "unstable" by some, you need strong hardware support, if you can afford it. If not, 560ti is a good deal.
You got that one right. There is a reason why I'm ending each of my flights with an average of 28-30fps - 8xs+2xSGSS (some even push 4xSGSS), with 2048 clouds, sceneries on both ends (UK2000, FSDT, LatinVFR, online aircraft on VATSIM, UTX+GEX+MS, PMDG 747, NGX, LevelD 767), a setup filled with addons and stuff - no crashes, no glitches.Besides, here is a thing I remember: in the times when Bojote discovered BP=0 tweak, I have also been testing with my older system, i7-920@4.2 and GTX285. It was working beautifully. Then I got the i7-2600K - I was suddenely confronted with massive glitches and errors. I started inquiring why and trying to find out. Bojote himself thought and that has stayed as consensus till today - BP=0 needs strong GPU to support the CPU, to prevent graphical errors. My GTX285 was being overloaded and giving spots all the time.Then I bought GTX580 a week later - and voila - stable. I get glitches funnily only at UK2000 EGLL.Without BP=0 my FPS would drop into the attic. I wouldn't even consider running without it any more. There were countless threads from moi about BP=0 being unstable on 2600K, but this must have stabilised with newer drivers and whatever. All I know I can't crash it now.So, I strongly believe if you want to max out of your FSX, including tweaks that are "unstable" by some, you need strong hardware support, if you can afford it. If not, 560ti is a good deal.
+1 Agree with this completly; same results here for me as well with both the Tweak and the SB unit. Edited by simon747

Simon

It's not going to be that big a deal for FSX. Maybe in the scenario Word Not Allowed gave, but no. People with Core 2 rigs will be griping that their GPU upgrade to Kepler didn't help FSX frames... Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif
The weaker the rig, the weaker the GPU needed, when it comes to BP=0. SB needs strong GPU if you are gonna run BP=0. And many should wish for that - it is 20% better performance than without. And please don't start about RT or low BP saying that it's almost same performance like BP=0. It's not.Note what I said before: 920+285 = great. 2600K+285=tragedy. I've never put 560ti into BP=0 mix, but I am sure that memory bandwidth and pixel rates (AA!!) are very very important to FSX. Whatever we users desire, if you are getting Nvidia, now or later you are gonna come over posts on PMDG forum telling you to set up you Nvidia card in Nvidia Inspector, and voila... you'll be suffering with a card with a lower pixel rate. Edited by Kosta

Note what I said before: 920+285 = great. 2600K+285=tragedy. I've never put 560ti into BP=0 mix, but I am sure that memory bandwidth and pixel rates (AA!!) are very very important to FSX. Whatever we users desire, if you are getting Nvidia, now or later you are gonna come over posts on PMDG forum telling you to set up you Nvidia card in Nvidia Inspector, and voila... you'll be suffering with a card with a lower pixel rate.
Agreed. Folks are tweaking Inspector without knowing the consequences.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Besides, here is a thing I remember: in the times when Bojote discovered BP=0 tweak, I have also been testing with my older system, i7-920@4.2 and GTX285. It was working beautifully
Word Not Allowed,I have Bojote FSX.cfg file. I dont see item as "BufferPool", but I have :[bufferPools]RejectThreshold=131072I want to test "BufferPool=0". Will I replace above item with BufferPool=0Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Just enter:[bufferPools]///RejectThreshold=131072Usepools=0That just disabled RT line and disabled pools too.But note: if you get flashes, you have to set your water to 2x High (one notch below highest setting).

Edited by Kosta