Sign in to follow this  
INFORIS

MS Flight for Console Confirmed

Hmm, well If it is coming to the 360 then there is no news on the console sites,forums or official word to support that,so highly unlikely! What I do find a wee bit worrying is this quote from a beta tester which may support some future plans for the consoles;- "Basing it purely off what is in the beta so far it is now where near a sim. The flight dynamics may be there but everything else is not. They are not including the entire globe as they did in the previous sims. Also, when I take a look at the assignable controls they all almost fit onto one controller. This is insane when you talk about how many different commands and options are available in other simulators.I’m hoping things change and they make it more a sim, but I don’t think they will." It's the bit where he mentions how nearly all functions fit on the 360 controller! This adds some interest on how this may be "dumbed" down for the console? Maybe some other beta testers can confirm If this is the case?

Nah confirming it breaks their NDA or whatever, so its better not to directly talk about it in Avsim.

Hmm, well If it is coming to the 360 then there is no news on the console sites,forums or official word to support that,so highly unlikely! What I do find a wee bit worrying is this quote from a beta tester which may support some future plans for the consoles;- "Basing it purely off what is in the beta so far it is now where near a sim. The flight dynamics may be there but everything else is not. They are not including the entire globe as they did in the previous sims. Also, when I take a look at the assignable controls they all almost fit onto one controller. This is insane when you talk about how many different commands and options are available in other simulators.I’m hoping things change and they make it more a sim, but I don’t think they will." It's the bit where he mentions how nearly all functions fit on the 360 controller! This adds some interest on how this may be "dumbed" down for the console? Maybe some other beta testers can confirm If this is the case?
I see where your coming from, but as its not that much dissimilar from FSX as you could plug in an xbox360 controller, and it is seemingly the same as it is currently in Flight. It is however built to welcome people that do have an xbox360 controller (like me, at least until I get a joystick :D) and I appreciate that feature, as PC controls are too clunky for this type of game, which requires very smooth, and slight controls. Im not ashamed because I use an xbox360 controller, as it is all I have at the moment, and even still... Its less fussy if you want to have a quick flight at 2 in the morning before going to bed... don't exactly want to make lots of noise getting a joystick and a rudder peddle set out.Im rambling on now, but theirs my thoughts on the topic. :)*btw, when using the term 'game' it is an umbrella term, it also includes simulation and racing games, and everything in-between. Do not twist my words. "A video game is an electronic form of play that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device" - the definition of the word "videogame", game is the common shorthand for videogame. Just being clear. :) Cant believe I have to put a disclaimer on the end of my posts.

1326308633.pngThat looks suspiciously like an XBOX 360.Best regards,Robin.
That "thing" to the far right? Check the cables it's not connected to the Flight monitor, gamepad, and keyboard.The second screenshot J van E posted shows the game banners, the monitor the 360 is connected to is running a completely different game.For gaming software in general M$ puts both PC and Xbox in the same booth to save space, as they are alotted only a limited amount of real estate.Why does the flight monitor have a 360 controller? Because M$ is upselling gamepad compatibility as a means to attract more "casual" users. Any current generation console controller (your PC needs Bluetooth for the Wiimote) can run on a PC and since "casual" gamers are more familiar with gamepads, upselling that capability is a big plus.Yes, for years MS has been selling 360 (wireless) controller PC reciever kits. (wired controllers are plug'n play out of the box)MS-Flight is PC only. Edited by FSX4Life

The debate can on and on about this but looking at the menu screen of Flight and how things are layed out it looks like it's destine for the XBOX.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

1326308633.pngThat looks suspiciously like an XBOX 360.Best regards,Robin.
lmao...very suspicious indeed.. :(

Oh, J.M.J... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I seriously doubt flight will end up on the Xbox 360 anytime soon. Previous versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator had portions that were coded in assembly language to optimize performance. I seriously doubt they would even consider spending their money on rewriting those portions in C or C++ so it can be ported. After playing around with Flight a bit I think it is safe to say that the core engine is still very similar to FSX. They obviously spent most of the last several years improving the gameplay elements and graphics pipeline (read: shaders), not rewriting the core engine.Even if they did rewrite their code to deal with portability issues, I guarantee that they wouldn't have it looking that smooth on a machine with 512 MB of RAM :)Too many parts of Flight Simulator are just too deeply tied into Windows, MFC, and the PC architecture to warrant a console port unless the entire engine is rewritten.

It is however built to welcome people that do have an xbox360 controller (like me, at least until I get a joystick :D)
Don't under estimate how good a controller like that is for either FSX or (presumably) Flight. I converted to a gamepad with dual analogue joysticks about 5 years ago and never regretted at all the change. I would never go back to a joystick setup, let alone the joystick rudder pedal setup I used to have. Infact, flying is physically far more comfortable with a gamepad and lack of control compared to a joystick is not an issue either.More lately, I have converted to the Logitech F710 wireless gamepad to use with flight sims. Depending on what mode you run it in, it wil either be seen in Windows as a xBox360 controller or a Logitech Rumblepad 2. I use it in the Rumblepad 2 mode because the force feedback effects are actually very useful and are an aid to smoother and more efficient flying. Plus stalling at the flare is much more satisfying as well, as you can physically feel both the stall onto the runway and the tyres hitting the tarmac :) Edited by JonP01

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.