Sign in to follow this  
VOR_Active

Beyond CES

Hello,beyond CES life goes on but for us simmers still there are questions whirling around unanswered. First off, I see here many saying that MS considering us as a small group of aviation simulator enthusiasts. I never understood this opinion. If we are a small group then how come MS kept this franschise for more than 20 years? This moaning keeps going since FSX was released, and with FS2004 too. I'm sorry, but I dont accept that we are a minority.Now, we are coming to what is after CES. For me the field still is foggy. No official announcements. Total blurred. The question is why? There are some indications hovering above us, that actually things are not as they seem to be.1st. Why MS asked from this small group (as some say) Beta testers for this so called kiddo arcade game?2nd. Why it took more than 3 years to create a console game with one free island with flying coins, triangles around and perhaps black holes (are there?)3rd. Why the secrecy? We are in the Beta testing period and some months before the release and nothing concrete from the MS mouth4th. Developers were crystal clear posting here their point of view. So we know only the one side. What about the other side? Why MS did not clarify their position yet.Are we sure that we are not in for some big surprises in the future? What if MS hide an Ace under their sleeve and throw it at us at an unexpected time?Thank you all
+1 im trying so hard to keep my mouth zipped about what i know so i can keep my feed goin till official release date . just wait mate thats all i can say just wait . before we had the cake for 50 bucks . this time we have to buy it in pieces....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

So there is something more than we currently know about Flight? If you say yes, i guess you won't be violating any nda.

+1 im trying so hard to keep my mouth zipped about what i know so i can keep my feed goin till official release date . just wait mate thats all i can say just wait . before we had the cake for 50 bucks . this time we have to buy it in pieces....
+1 But I am still very suprise that Msft does not react officialy : if they wait too much, it will be too late ...

We cant buy whole cake even in little pieces as it will be missing key parts this time.I believe that we know everything needed about Flight already. Edited by pvjinflight

So there is something more than we currently know about Flight? If you say yes, i guess you won't be violating any nda.
I made a call before I click post I'm all good....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

:( There is a line Tony, so just make sure you don't step over it... Exciting times, kingdoms rise, and kingdoms fall...Kind regards, Edited by SpiritFlyer

Same was said about the HAWAII-only speculation.... MSFT is not reacting because the truth is ugly and they know we don't want to hear it. Remember all those people asking Microsoft to react to the Hawaii speculation by posting clearly that it was not only Hawaii? Why do you think MSFT is not reacting now either?
I don't think it is comparable :From day 1 Msft published the Hawaii related screenshots, I said : "I am sure it will be free on hawaii, and other area will be DLC" . I am sure a lot of simers had the same idea. Msft was teasing and it was obvious marketing :) There was no lie involved, and they did not have to react.But today, they are communicating on a good product the wrong way : Flight is a flight simulator, with all code and features needed to performs IFR flights, there is no doubt about it.But they are marketing it at the CES targeting a wider audience, by presenting casual and gaming features. This is a huge mistake. The simmers community has to be reassure, and they are ignoring it. The most ridiculous thing is that a simple video with a jumbo jet and a simple ILS landing would have been good enougth to do the job ...They have to react and be fast enough ... Edited by fooogooo

But today, they are communicating on a good product the wrong way : Flight is a flight simulator, with all code and features needed to performs IFR flights, there is no doubt about it.But they are marketing it at the CES targeting a wider audience, by presenting casual and gaming features. This is a huge mistake. The simmers community has to be reassure, and they are ignoring it. The most ridiculous thing is that a simple video with a jumbo jet and a simple ILS landing would have been good enougth to do the job ...They have to react and be fast enough ...
I have been thinking about this a bit.MS has some experience in marketing. Over the years they have tried a number of things and we just have to find out what could compel them to run this sort of a build-up to a new product.With FSX, pretty much everything was on the table. We knew what was going to be in the game and the developers were in touch with this community. MS added a few things to try and attract new simmers via missions and prettier scenery.But what was the actual message of all their ads? Simulator! With complex jets and ATC and procedures etc...So, what if MS has decided that for a newbie to Flight, seeing a jet taxiing from a gate to RW03 is a turn-off. Scary even. What if seeing the technical jargon of ATC even to get clearance to take-off is the same. The newbie doesn't know that it is not necessary to do these things and is afraid to even buy the game. I have seen this with people in my own family.So, now, MS does not even mention anything more complex than flying with a mouse, just doing fun things. The idea is to put the hook out there and have people bite. MS knows they have us! All they have to do is chum the waters with the stuff they have not mentioned and we'll be there with our wallets. But if we are at the front of the line, we just might scare everyone away.It is better to p/o us temporarily instead of scaring the newbies away forever.Well, at least that's my current theory of trying to make sense of what's going on.

Just an addition, a lot of 'noobies' who want to fly, rarely want to fly an ICONA5, or a maule even... From personal experience, many noobs instantly ask me, "so where's the jumbo jets?" Just an interesting addition. They should hurry up with the multi-engine aircraft blum.gif Everyone wants them blum.gif. Both noobs and sim-enthusiasts alike blum.gif (I think) :)

Edited by xXArch_AngelXx

I have been thinking about this a bit.MS has some experience in marketing. Over the years they have tried a number of things and we just have to find out what could compel them to run this sort of a build-up to a new product.With FSX, pretty much everything was on the table. We knew what was going to be in the game and the developers were in touch with this community. MS added a few things to try and attract new simmers via missions and prettier scenery.But what was the actual message of all their ads? Simulator! With complex jets and ATC and procedures etc...So, what if MS has decided that for a newbie to Flight, seeing a jet taxiing from a gate to RW03 is a turn-off. Scary even. What if seeing the technical jargon of ATC even to get clearance to take-off is the same. The newbie doesn't know that it is not necessary to do these things and is afraid to even buy the game. I have seen this with people in my own family.So, now, MS does not even mention anything more complex than flying with a mouse, just doing fun things. The idea is to put the hook out there and have people bite. MS knows they have us! All they have to do is chum the waters with the stuff they have not mentioned and we'll be there with our wallets. But if we are at the front of the line, we just might scare everyone away.It is better to p/o us temporarily instead of scaring the newbies away forever.Well, at least that's my current theory of trying to make sense of what's going on.
This is exactly the point of my previous message :) They are playing a risky game because the simmer community is not patient ... and some may not be able to read between the lines or understand the strategy to wider the audience. Look at the Flight facebook page, this is stunning ... Then, you have the 3rdParty/sdk controversy ... Edited by fooogooo

Just an addition, a lot of 'noobies' who want to fly, rarely want to fly an ICONA5, or a maule even... From personal experience, many noobs instantly ask me, "so where's the jumbo jets?" Just an interesting addition. They should hurry up with the multi-engine aircraft blum.gif Everyone wants them blum.gif. Both noobs and sim-enthusiasts alike blum.gif (I think) :)
Right on.. and then the next question is: 'how do i go to my airport? Can i see my house'. And of course you can, as long as you live on island called 'Hawaii'.

LOL Very true. Quite often new flyers need to be adviced to forget about that Boeing for a while and try the Cessna first. I suppose MS knows this too, so maybe... they aren't thinking about noobies after all otherwise they would have added a big airliner for starters.... :( ...and so maybe this IS a new sim... blum.gif

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.