Sign in to follow this  
hjwalter

Parking brake/slew messages

Hi all ye technical experts,Suddenly, after many years of FS9 simming, all the normal red messages at the bottom of my screen, e.g. "parking brake" and the flashing "slew", etc have disappeared. Not just one or two of them but ALL of them.However, all functions including the (parking and differential toe-)brake and slew modes etc. do remain working correctly, it's just that the related messages no longer appear and not being able to see whether or not the parking brake is set while e.g. starting the engines at a gate, can be rather problematic.I've had a good look through my fs9.cfg and have entered "SHOW_BRAKE_MESSAGE=1" into the [sIM] section under "SYSCLOCK=1", as suggested in another post, but no joy in my case.Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look ?Thanks in advance.Hans

Hi HansThe irony is that many of us see those onscreen messages as something to be got rid of. In fact when I reinstalled FS9, as soon as I had done the FS9.1 patch I applied the fix to get rid of the messages. I'm sure you will find someone who can tell you how to restore them but you might want to try flying without them for a while and see how you get on. It's a lot more realistic to look down in the cockpit at the parking brake and see if it's on than to see on an onscreen message...CheersIan

Hans ... There are two ways I know how to get rid of the red msg. Adding "language.dll" to my main fs9 directory or changing values through my fs9.cfg which i never did. How on earth you did that unconsciously??(twilight zone opening theme playin...)

FS 2004:This is always worth a try, to actually shorten the message(s)(Takes up less room).From Flightsim: braketxt.zipYou can edit the file to shorten; "Brake" to "B"and; "Parking Brake" to "PB", and; "Pause" to "P"....it works a treat!Paul...shortened version: ."P".... :( ...!

Edited by Fozzer

Rid of it I say!!!!!!!!Seriously, thats quite odd that it just vanished, I had to go digging around to find out how to get rid of mine. Would of been easier your way :)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Thanks guys for your prompt reactions but my problem was caused by something hiding in my fs9.cfg but what it was, I still have no idea.It had nothing to do with "language.dll" which I had edited many years ago via "braketxt.zip" to shorten the messages concerned but because it was a general problem effecting my whole FS9 I could only conclude that it must have something to do with my active "fs9.cfg". This was confirmed after deleting it and letting FS9 automatically create a new one, which messed everything up good and proper but........my missing messages did re-appear.However, after tediously comparing this new "fs9.cfg" to the existing (saved) one and carefully copying/pasting each section one by one to the new "fs9.cfg" while testing inbetween, the actual cause of the problem could not be determined.In the end I found an older backup "fs9.cfg" and activated that instead and this solved my problem but I'm now left with the uneasy feeling that sometimes unexpected and strange things can and will happen. Murphy's law maybe ?I agree with any of you that these messages are not really necessary for reality reasons but I'ts my opinion that bugs of any kind should be routed out and swatted by all means possible because just knowing about such an offending bug hiding somewhere, can be very frustrating, at least for me.Happy landings.Hans