Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

BP=0 hardware recommendations

I am considering the BP=0 tweak to get my frame rates up in FSX. I currently have a Lynnfield Intel (LGA 1156) i5 overclocked to 4.0Ghz. My understanding that with the BP=0 tweak, you must have a graphics card that has at least 1Gb of memory and is fast enough to handle all of the information that they CPU can send to it or that it will cause crashes. Would a GeForce GTX 570 (1280MB of memory) be fast enough to handle the data coming from my i5? I currently have a Nvidia 275 with less than 1Gb of memory. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to educate me this topic. Maybe it will be of help to someone else, too. Thanks in advance!RH

I am considering the BP=0 tweak to get my frame rates up in FSX. I currently have a Lynnfield Intel (LGA 1156) i5 overclocked to 4.0Ghz. My understanding that with the BP=0 tweak, you must have a graphics card that has at least 1Gb of memory and is fast enough to handle all of the information that they CPU can send to it or that it will cause crashes. Would a GeForce GTX 570 (1280MB of memory) be fast enough to handle the data coming from my i5? I currently have a Nvidia 275 with less than 1Gb of memory. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to educate me this topic. Maybe it will be of help to someone else, too. Thanks in advance!RH
AA and AF settings will have a bigger impact on stability when running the BP tweak. Either way; Yes, the 570 can pull it off.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks for the reply! How much better performance do you think I'd get running the Sandy Bridge i5 @ 4.5Ghz with a Nvidia 580? Would it be significant?Thanks,RH

Thanks for the reply! How much better performance do you think I'd get running the Sandy Bridge i5 @ 4.5Ghz with a Nvidia 580? Would it be significant?Thanks,RH
Due to the high prices of the Nvidia cards, it would not be significant. I'll tell you that since Word Not Allowed has mentioned bufferpools (an old trick I never used on my 260 card) I have retried the tweak. It works flawlessly and I'm seeing FPS pegged at 30 departing KDEN with AS2012 weather (snow, heavy clouds) and the NGX. Try it on your 275.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks again for the response! I read somewhere that cards with less than 1Gb of memory have trouble handling BP=0. My 275 has less that 1Gb - about .5Gb, I think. Is your 560 equivalent to about a 285?Thanks,RH

Yes, they're about the same. I do suggest at least trying the buffer pools tweak. The 275 is no slouch!

Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You can try the BP=0 tweak, it ain't gonna damage anything. Worst that can happen is graphics errors, GPU or driver crashes, which after reboot are reset.But I'd advise you to read my other thread, where I wrote a big thread on just this subject.If you have questions, feel free to ask here.http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2222461That, and then couple of posts lower a 2nd reply.570 is better than 560, it lies in the middle between 580 and 560ti (spec-wise). If it's gonna be enough for BP=0? Noone can answer that for sure.That 560ti works great with BP=0 on one system, must not be the fact that it's gonna work great on another. It all depends what settings you are choosing, how high your level of AA should be, do you like smooth aircraft and do you give a $hit about some jaggies etc? And even how high your are clocking your CPU...My 580 is just about enough for my system.

Edited by Kosta

My 580 is just about enough for my system.
I've installed my old 460, installed the drivers, and plugged in BP=0. Lo and behold, it runs wonderfully! Before on my i7 960 system, BP=0 caused artifacts, but a flight around Denver with autogen and heavy weather proved to be no problem.I've stuck the 560ti back in, and have noticed better smoothness when panning with BP=0 in comparison to the 460.This is one tweak that I haven't completely figured out. I'm getting there, though. Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks Guys! Word Not Allowed - I will definitely give that a read. I actually think I read it while doing a Google search. My 1156 i5 is clocked to 4.0 Ghz. I might just wait for an Ivy Bridge CPU and try to clock it to 5.0 Ghz and then get a new generation Nvidia card when they come out in June or go for a 580 to try and squeeze as much out of FSX as I can. For me, framerates are usually only an issue when at large, busy add-on Airports in the PMDG 747 or LD 767 at times when the frames drop below 10. If I can keep them above 15 or so, I will be happy. I have most of my settings maxed except for road and air traffic. I am hoping with the right hardware that BP=0 will finally take me to FSX Heaven! Especially since MS Flight looks like a bust. FSX is good enough for me if I can get up the FPS and relatively smooth frames as well. You have a sweet computer set-up there. I bet FSX performance issues are a thing of the past for you.

I bet FSX performance issues are a thing of the past for you.
I've not seen below 20fps in worst worst case scenarios, if that tells you anything. I'm locked at 30, running Delta VA ACARS in the end reports (right now did my 5th flight), from 27 to 30fps average. And all these flights were done with NGX VC. Edited by Kosta

Your set-up looks like something to shoot for. The only thing that concerns me is the Watercooling Radiator MoRa2. It looks like a pretty complicated set-up but obviously necessary if you are serious about maintaining a 5.0Ghz overclock. I notice you don't use SSD drives or a multiple-monitor set-up. I had read on the web that BP=0 does not do well with multi-monitor set ups. Is that true?Thanks,RH

Your set-up looks like something to shoot for. The only thing that concerns me is the Watercooling Radiator MoRa2. It looks like a pretty complicated set-up but obviously necessary if you are serious about maintaining a 5.0Ghz overclock. I notice you don't use SSD drives or a multiple-monitor set-up. I had read on the web that BP=0 does not do well with multi-monitor set ups. Is that true?Thanks,RH
This is a custom built watercooling loop. I don't know where you are from, but Mora2 is sold (and I think made) in Germany, so I don't know if you can buy it. I've never seen anything similar, biggest radis I have seen were usually triple radis.But: custom watercooling is very handy when it comes to keeping your CPU really cool. You can do a custom loop on the CPU only and keep the temperature way below any other normal air loop or even closed waterlopp (aka Corsair H100 and such). Custom water is much more effective because of the huge radiator cooling the water effectively. And one of the biggest advantages is that the temperatures can't rapidly rise, you need a long time - it's like boiling the water on the lowest setting :biggrin:And it's everything but complicated: I thought that also at first, but it's actually very simple. Just gotta follow some rules and you are good to go.No multimonitor - I hate windowed, in multimonitor setup you can't do full screen - besides I couldn't stand my Genelecs (speakers) being covered with a monitor, blocking the pure sound coming to my ears :wub:I got my laptop for my secondary programs over WideFS and thinking of giving it a 2nd screen for Aivlasoft EFB.No SSD YET - probably very soon for the FSX partition, and move my system onto WD. Then with time port the system to the smaller SSD.I need 256GB for FSX, so that ain't cheapo... (we talkin around 330€ for a storage).BP=0 and multimonitor - dunno really, never tested it or read something about it - but can imagine it being true as BP=0 really gives the GPU a big workout, so doing that on two screens I could imagine gives it even more workout. Edited by Kosta

Yes, they're about the same. I do suggest at least trying the buffer pools tweak. The 275 is no slouch!
Four video cards back I had an EVGA 275 GTX that I tried B=0 on and found significant graphical corruption. I adjusted the clock, volts, memory speed at various levels and could not make it work right. I did find that using a bufferpools threshold number worked best, but I can not remember for the life of me what it was. I suppose if I dig back in the original ******* thread on the subject I could find it as I was one of the first guinea pigs. I had an i7-930 @ 4.3 Ghz at the time, I think, but not entirely certain. It could have been a 9550 at 3.6 Ghz. This losing marbles business really sucks!Kind regards,

I just tried this tweak on my system and I literally saw a 10-15FPS boost and much smoother FPS. Getting 50FPS in the NGX @ FSDT KLAS. This is awesome guys, thanks so much for the information.

Word Not Allowed - Thanks for the info. I'll look you up again if I have any questions. Stephen - I have read your excellent hardware reviews. I wish we had more of them. I notice you only have a single monitor. Is that because you could not get BP=0 to work with two monitors? Ben - you are able to use BP=0 with an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS450? Isn't that an old card with less that 1Gb of memory?Thanks,RH

Edited by RobbieHe