Sign in to follow this  

No more tweaks! Oh yeah!

I've spend months and months and MONTHS on tweaking to get FSX running a bit well. I remember posting at one time that I wished FSX couldn't be tweaked because it can be tiresome and complicated and frustrating. The idea of not being able to change anything and to simply enjoy (or not) what you have sounds very relaxed. Even when things are pretty ok, you have the idea more should or may be possible, and there you go, tweaking again...Well, seems I am getting what I wanted with MS Flight. :( Afaik it can't be tweaked and it isn't necessary either. Rejoice!!!

I've spend months and months and MONTHS on tweaking to get FSX running a bit well. I remember posting at one time that I wished FSX couldn't be tweaked because it can be tiresome and complicated and frustrating. The idea of not being able to change anything and to simply enjoy (or not) what you have sounds very relaxed. Even when things are pretty ok, you have the idea more should or may be possible, and there you go, tweaking again...Well, seems I am getting what I wanted with MS Flight. :( Afaik it can't be tweaked and it isn't necessary either. Rejoice!!!
Hey Jeroen, how boring though. Like the rest of the sim... everything will just be one boring, vanilla product. All the addons and sceneries all designed and made by MS, urgh. Although.... I will stay in the wings before I make a 100% judgement, but to be honest, I think that verdict will very much reflect my initial thoughts

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well, seems I am getting what I wanted with MS Flight. :( Afaik it can't be tweaked and it isn't necessary either. Rejoice!!!
HelloI am pleased for you, your X-Box controller will be set up perfectly for you.No need to even think, just fly and catch the coins

Hey Jeroen, how boring though.
LOL I left it out on purpose in order to not kill my own OP, but I also (of course...!) thought about what I would have been doing the last few years if I hadn't been able to tweak... I sometimes think I have spend more time tweaking then flying...! It IS frustrating and cumbersome but at the same time... it's almost a hobby on its own! Of course I don't know yet what MS Flight will do for me in the future, but maybe I will keep FSX installed just for the 737NGX and.. a shot of tweaking... :(

Sure, I often think about this great hobby of ours' and believe more than a few will agree that it isn't just about flying, it's about all the other aspects that we all love so much that really makes the whole experience unique. The forums, the reviews of new products, all the different developers, all the banter, the knowledge and of course the tweaking. In fact I only taought the other day, that I bet I only spend about 20% of my actual time flying! The rest is in forums, reading and tweaking!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Congratulations, Jeroen. I hope that your new job in the Microsoft Flight PR department is a success! :(

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

HelloI am pleased for you, your X-Box controller will be set up perfectly for you.No need to even think, just fly and catch the coins
You do realize that FSX is pre-configured for an Xbox controller?Your making accusations against a simulator that is hardly different in the actual gameplay than our current one. FSX had hoops to fly through also. Edited by benorg

Correction: FSX STILL HAS coins! LOL

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

You do realize that FSX is pre-configured for an Xbox controller?
Bloody hell! I had no idea, what a load of tosh :(

Howard

Congratulations, Jeroen. I hope that your new job in the Microsoft Flight PR department is a success! :(
Now that is a new low, and a disappointing one at that.

I think that your FSX would run very well without tweaks if Microsoft removed 99% of the world and most of other stuff from FSX.I rather crash my simulator sometimes and be able to fly around the world than fly without crashing in Hawaii all time.

Edited by pvjinflight

I have actually used FSX several times with an xbox controller. Not bad at all when nothing else was available and certainly much better than keyboard / mouse.My kids like it too. Maybe they WILL enjoy Flight?

While it may be nice for a product to run so well 'out of the box' that there is no need for tweaking. With Flight there may be some aspects you wish you could tweak to bring things up to FSX standard... but as you say, and by all accounts, it is seemingly un-tweakable. Personally I like the ability to fiddle under to hood, even if I do bugger things up at times.

Its more about draw distance, than the actual world coverage... I will try to clarify: you could have a large area, but only some of it is visible, and even less of it is actually rendered in high detail. The higher detail is what area affects performance most. (to be simple, there is a lot more I could explain, but I do not have the programming knowledge, or the time... ) It is rather silly to say that because Flight has less world coverage, that it would increase performance, in most cases. Just because you e.g. download Antarctica for Flight, that will hardly cause any performance loss. It may take the processor a matter of a few hundred thousandths of a second more time to actually find the scenery file(s) it needs though, but I doubt you would even notice it... If you could, you are likely to be half human, half robot. If you could sense that amount of differentiation, then simply put; you're a super-human. :(

Edited by xXArch_AngelXx

Tweaking is all good and well, provided the basics work reliably.Obviously, when your system is close to its limit, you have to decide yourself whether in a certain scenery you prefer to have more autogen, more traffic, larger viewing distance, aircraft with systems modeled to a great accuracy, etc... The annoying thing about FSX is that even on a good system at good framerates tweaking is necessary because in many situations you get microstutters and random macrostutters... Even if you've tweaked things perfectly, it can happen that in a different type of scenery you have to find a new optimum again. These things should be handled by the engine, not by the user, provided the raw system power is sufficient.That's the reason why I would be happy to have a newer engine with less tweaking.Sandy Bridge has finally freed us from the overall framerate being too low, but still tuning is required for a smooth experience...

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.