Sign in to follow this  
rome

In flight engine start

Make sure you've accomplished both the engine shutdown and then the restart QRH. Check out the restart flight envelope, too. You should be able to get 11% N2, if it's going to work either via bleed air or windmilling.

Hyd pump I didn't try to turn off. Will do. IAS was 300!
At 300kts, you should definitely be close to 11% N2 if not more. Either you have the core locked or the sim is goofy.

Matt Cee

Isnt there an altitude restriction for a restart, or is that not relevant to these new fangled engines?

Jay

Isnt there an altitude restriction for a restart, or is that not relevant to these new fangled engines?
Yes there is. It looks like FL270 is the top of the envelope. You'll be getting down there one way or another, if you're above it. ;)

Matt Cee

Make sure you've accomplished both the engine shutdown and then the restart QRH. Check out the restart flight envelope, too. You should be able to get 11% N2, if it's going to work either via bleed air or windmilling.At 300kts, you should definitely be close to 11% N2 if not more. Either you have the core locked or the sim is goofy.
What do you mean by the core locked. Gonna try again now and will tell you guys exactly what I get!

After you guys shutdown the engine normaly, without any failures.... Are you able to get any rotation out of it at all when airborne?I might be thinking of another addon, but, doesn't the engines spin when the aircraft is on the ground, not moving and there is a wind present that is somewhere inline with the intakes?JB

Edited by Buzz313th

After you guys shutdown the engine normaly, without any failures.... Are you able to get any rotation out of it at all when airborne?I might be thinking of another addon, but, doesn't the engines spin when the aircraft is on the ground, not moving and there is a wind present that is somewhere inline with the intakes?JB
Sounds like the Dodosim 206 to me!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Sounds like the Dodosim 206 to me!
Yah... blum.gif150 knot headwinds will make the engines spin when the planes on the ground. Just tested. Instruments display about 3.3 N1 and 10.6 N2.And just did a relight at 17k, on both engines after shutdown just by windmilling, with all the bleed ducts closed.Should work for everyone... Hopefully.1. Load up default panel state in NGX (engines and systems on)2. Slew to 2403. release slew4. Turn off all bleed ducts and close crossover4.5 OOPs forgot most important... Kill fuel for both engines LOL5. Ignition switches to flight6. Check out fan and core rotation7. Switch one engine to cont8. Give fuel8.5 should see Fuel flow kick in as soon as the valves open and then get a relight9. Repeat for other engine.The NGX generated failure "Flameout" should douse the fire and allow for a relight through windmilling and crossbleed. All the other failures that kill the engine probably render the guts useless and like Kyle said below, will keep it from spinning.On that note... It would be cool if heavy precip or severe turbulence would cause a random generated flameout in the NGX if "cont" isn't selected.. I'll leave that for another "Feature Request" Post. :)JB Edited by Buzz313th

What do you mean by the core locked. Gonna try again now and will tell you guys exactly what I get!
The N2 spool is the "core" of the engine. If it is seized or "locked," you won't get any N2 rotation. No rotation on either spool would mean the engine shouldn't be restarted.

Matt Cee

...and to follow up on that, 'seized' or 'locked' means the metal has essentially fused to other metal, or has at least gotten firmly stuck (either through the exhaustion of oil/fluids, or mechanically).

Kyle Rodgers

Well weirdly enought this time everything worked! N2 never dropped down below 30! I found out that the only time it is at 0 is when I activate severe engine damage in failures. I gues last time I didn't properly reseted it!But I activated engine flame out and that didn't work. Looks like it was shutting down for couple of seconds but then reseted! (in failure options changes from activated back to off) Does it work for you guys?I also wonder something: if I have random failures turned on and lets say I get window overheat or engine overheat, oil temp high, prob overheat and such. Is it possible to fix it without turning the failure off in the options? I got window overheat once and I turned that window heat off. And the overheat warning didn't go off! Any cool failures that can be fixed within the cockpit and not simply turning it off in the options? Like to challenge my self ;)Thanks!PS. Just landed for the first time with auto land! I am amazed how perfect this landing was!!! Never knew it was that accurate! blum.gif

Well weirdly enought this time everything worked! N2 never dropped down below 30! I found out that the only time it is at 0 is when I activate severe engine damage in failures. I gues last time I didn't properly reseted it!But I activated engine flame out and that didn't work. Looks like it was shutting down for couple of seconds but then reseted! (in failure options changes from activated back to off) Does it work for you guys?I also wonder something: if I have random failures turned on and lets say I get window overheat or engine overheat, oil temp high, prob overheat and such. Is it possible to fix it without turning the failure off in the options? I got window overheat once and I turned that window heat off. And the overheat warning didn't go off!Any cool failures that can be fixed within the cockpit and not simply turning it off in the options?Like to challenge my self ;)Thanks!
I added some stuff to my post above...The "flameout" option in the NGX should just simulate a temporary loss of fire in the engine. After the failure generation has done that, it should allow for a normal relight with a free spinning engine. IMHO, you shouldn't have to disable the failure to get the engine to windmill and relight through normal means.Maybe the "Flameout" failure was coded by PMDG in such a way that the method they used to stop the engine stays active, thus, not allowing a normal means of relight without having to manualy deactivate the failure?Big edit.. I'm a doomass... :) Just reread your post above and realized you said the flameout failure resets itself. Thats good, sounds like they coded it perfect. So can you relight after a flameout?JB Edited by Buzz313th

Well if I manually shut down an engine it now works to restart it. But when I activate engine flame out option it just resets to off and engine runs as normal!

Yeah your right...My test....1. Engines and systems on2. At Altitude3. Turn ignition off both engines4. Activate through timer or instant activation of NGX "Flameout"5. Engine loses power, anucations indicate correctly I assume. I guess it is a short but temporary simulation of Flameout, but then engine relights by itself even though the ignition switches are off.Tested with ignition to FLT and CONT and same results. Technically CONT should relight the engine as it does, not sure about FLT? Maybe FLT in the real NG detects engine out condition and executes an auto relight? Technically, if the IGN switches are set to OFF, a flameout should cause the engines to douse and not relight on their own, as there is no ignition source and the core should have cooled enough to disallow a spontaneous relight by itself.Maybe someone with NG time can chime in.JB

Edited by Buzz313th

Technically, if the IGN switches are set to OFF, a flameout should cause the engines to douse and not relight on their own as there is no ignition source and the core should have cooled enough to disallow a spontaneous relight by itself.Maybe someone with NG time can chime in.JB
See, that's just what they want you to think. It's a trick. ;) With the START SWITCHes in OFF, you'll still get a relight if the EEC sees a rapid decrease in N2. Just another Boeingism.

Matt Cee