Sign in to follow this  
Stathis1

I tried the beta.

So, i tried the beta, and i wanted to learn it, and customise it before saying that i don't like it cause i didn't give it a fair chance, and all that i have seen in some reviews here and there.So, i have played it for around 1 hour until now, not much i know, and in that time i got the joystic hat switch to work properly, familiarised my self with the controls and all, and flew around with 3 planes. I initially set graphics to high, meaning lots of objects, antializing, HDR e.t.c, but found out that i wasn't getting good frames. So i went and started to tweak the rendering options, and now i have trees at overgown (i like trees ;D), objects at the middle setting, anisotroping at 8x and antialising at 2x, plus HDR with the first antialiasing option and traffic at the Kansas suberbs option. With these settings i get very good fps (don't know where to see them but it is smooth), and it's making flying a lot more fun. I have to say though that some option, and i don't know what it was, really made the difference with fps. Maybe it was the number of objects, or antialising, but anyway. I have an i7 at 2.8ghz, 12gb ram, and gtx 560 ti. With this rig i run fsx with many addons, like orbx, rex, e.t.c, at almost highest settings. The resolution is at 1920x1200. X-plane 10 seems more demanding, but then again it probably has a lot more objects and autogen population, so that must make the difference.Overally, i liked it. But of course there are things that i liked and other that i didn't. So, first the things that i like:- I like the way the planes fly. I won't go into which is more realistic, as i am not a real world pilot, but from the things that i have read i hear it's realistic enough, and of course i haven't tried any addons like carenado e.t.c.- Nice lighting overall, but it could be better, i don;t know if it is the HDR setting, but anyway. Does enb work in x-plane, and is it imporving it? Night lighting is very good also.- Slopped runways, what more could i say. The plane actually slows a bit down when the runway is a bit uphill. That is nice. Is it realistic? Again,i am not the one to say, but i like it.- Highways! Boy, i love the highways in x-plane. You can go close at 20-30 feet and the graphics are good, the vehicles are nice, there are highway signs e.t.c. Surely a major upgrade from fsx roads. I even tried landing in one, but hit the curve blum.gif I shall try again.- Vehicles. For some reason i like them. Haven't really noticed if they are better looking than fsx ones, but i like them. Especially the trucks :D.- The clouds. They are nice. Not as in rex but stll very nice.And now on to the things that i don't like, but i guess most of them can be improved.- Residential areas. They can be improved. They are too much patterned all around. In comparison with orbx's sceneries, they are like night and day. But surely there is room for improvement.- Trees. I like the forests and all, but the trees up close show their square textures. Of course i know, complex trees mean less fps. But i think that ms flight has better looking trees, of course i could be wrong. Overall the forests are nice though.- The general landscape. As it has been said, it is repetitive all around. If it is in Itally or Greece as it is at Washington state, then it cerntainly needs improving. Even default fsx had different landscapes, versatility, and more accurate scenery around the world.- Planes. The default planes are not that good, at least in terms of vc cockpits. But there are the payware ones of course.Now these are some things on top of my mind. One of the major reasons that i am not buyng it yet, are the landscapes. It needs work. Maybe lot's of work in this department. I am both an IFR and VFR pilot. And although in IFR it isn't of that concern, in VFR landscapes are everything. If they are repetitive, and things are not where they should be, then it's not that good for VFR. Of course it can be improved. For fsx there is scenery tech which places villages, towns, lakes e.t.c where they should be. I don't really know how these things are in x-plane.What is nice is that it has potential, and is constantly being improved. I would like to contribute at this improvement at some point. Overall it is a good sim, and i am watching it's development up close. I often open up the beta and fly around exploring x-plane.

Edited by Stathis1

ENB, iirc, is a DirectX mod for FSX where it changes the way the DX engine displays certain things like water and atmospherics. Since XP10 is OpenGL, it's like trying to use a part for a Chevy on a Boeing.

As far as I know all ENB is is a HDR mod for Direct X games, like FSX. X Plane 10 already has built in HDR, so there would be no need for ENB. Plus as said above its OpenGL.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S