Sign in to follow this  
snwboardn

One question about Xplane

My question is about the AI. I see that you can have 20 aircraft, but I like to fly on smaller airports. Does Xplane populate smaller airports? Or does it just populate big ones like KSEA? 20 A/C doesn't seem like a lot, one of the things I like is being put in a holding pattern and having to follow another A/C on approach. How much flexibility exists on this front? Is there any room for a 3rd party to do AI add ons such as Mytraffic?

Tyson Rose

Yes it does AI at smaller airports. Unfortnately, you may be at a small grass strip and have a 747 taxing up to run over you. :smile:Currently the AI will start off around where you are, after that you probably won't see them much.Several people are making AI aircraft and experminting with them.I don't do much AI at this time so someone more knowledgable will probably come along. I just did a quick answer so you'll know there is someone here.

Thanks, so it isn't like FSX where at the smaller airports they didn't model parking spots, so no AI could even be at smaller airports? I was reading other posts about "traffic" it sounds like people are experimenting with lower demanding A/C for frame rates... Hopefully they left the engine somewhat open for developers.I am so tentative about where to go, I got completely burned by 1C and IL2 COD... I know it isn't fair to put that same burden on someone who is more established and shown that he isn't going anywhere, but the last two times I put my faith in a flight sim being developed over time the team got dismantled (FSX) and the second they gave up on the product and want you to buy the next product that will fix everything from the first broken product (IL2)... So I am watching and waiting.

Tyson Rose

The AI is a work in progress at the moment. It can be fairly hard on your framerates, and there are oddities, as wb5okj mentioned. If AI traffic is important to you then XP10 isn't quite yet ready for prime-time.

XP10 doesn't model size-specific parking spots, so a C152 will park at a gate at KSEA or a 747 on the parking at a small grass strip. The aircraft can be chosen or generated at random, but it always uses aircraft you yourself could fly (pick from the aircraft menu). It would be nice if there were an AI folder in addition to the other aircraft folders already provided and the sim randomly chose from that group of aircraft instead of all aircraft. Maybe even a drilldown in the AI folder of GA/Small, Regional/Medium, Commercial/Large, Intercontinental/Huge folders where the appropriate size aircraft would go and the ability in WED to put sized parking spaces for the appropriate aircraft. If an airport doesn't have a space for the aircraft's size, it's either on emergency approach or simply doesn't use the airport as a departure or destination.

I dream of a plugin that reads user generated flight plans. If it could read FS traffic tools text files it would be even better, we have thousends of them out there.

Well hopefully after some time it will be, after everything that they have done it doesn't seem like it should be too awfully dificult to seperate aircraft by type, even if that means a temp fix of putting small, medium and heavy aircraft in different folders and then saying this parking pulls from this folder and that parking pulls from that folder... Scripting is about as far as my knowledge goes as far as programming is concerned.

Tyson Rose