Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Need help initializing Linda - error <EOF> message

I keep getting this when Linda initializes:[E] *** LUA Error: error loading module 'linda-cfg/aircrafts/PMDG 737NGX/config-hid' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\modules\linda-cfg/aircrafts/PMDG 737NGX/config-hid.lua' : Simulator X\modules\linda-cfg/aircrafts/PMDG 737NGX/config-hid.lua:3: '<eof>' expected near 'JSTK'Darned if I can figure how to 'fix' this error... tried inserting <EOF> in the file - no luck... can you help me?Please?Here is the editor error message:Syntax error!...crosoft Flight Simulator X\ModulesLine: 8: attempt to index global 'JSTK' (a nil value)stack traceback: ...crosoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\linda\lua\tmp.lua:8: in main chunkI tried to put an <EOF> in after the last device but thenSyntax error!Line 88 unexpected symbol near '<eof>' (there is nothing on line 88)Thanks for any helpAVSIM will not let me attach the file for you to look at :(

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Robert,Remove this file and re-save joystick assignments for NGX.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning

Does that mean that I will have to re-do ALL the button settings for both the Hotas Warthog Throttle -and- Hotas Warthog Joystick (2-piece unit)? Ugh.Thanks for your suggestion - I just want to be sure I -have- to 'start over' with the button assignments in Linda? I want to say this is no can of corn - there a HECKUVA lot of buttons and toggle switches on both units... and it will take some time and effort so I'm 'asking' for confirmation before I start completely over...Please advise- thank you.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Why not saving the current file elsewhere and try the new approach with a few buttons and look if it works?In case not, then you could copy the saved file back.And if so.... you have to bite the bullet :(

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't there an XML somewhere that 'indexes' the controllers? I tried adding a Logitech G13 keypad but it didn't work so I removed it. Wonder if that's causing the indexing error in Linda?

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Robert,Remove this file and re-save joystick assignments for NGX.
Tried it - SAME syntax error message occurs after generation of a Brand-NEW Config-HID.lua file in PMDG 737NGX! ?? Even after starting completely over again and only assigning a 'few' buttons...Looks like a possible programming bug (?)If you send me a PM with your email in it, I will forward the files for you to look at yourself.Robert Edited by rsm

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Robert, please report the final result on this issue here.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning

This issue was RESOLVED by working with Mr. Artem Crum (co-developer) of LINDA. I had to delete the config-hid.lua file that resided in the 737NGX folder of LINDA. Upon restarting the LINDA interface, the configuration file was "blank" and I had to re-assign the various buttons and switches on my Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog controller pair (Throttle and separate Joystick). This worked fine and I no longer get a RED WARNING MESSAGE that Linda was "unable to load" the file (which had become corrupted somehow).KEY TAKEAWAY: If you want to change something on your button assignments via LINDA - take the time to SHUT DOWN FSX first, close LINDA, restart Linda, then make your changes, save them, close Linda and restart FSX to re-test the 'new' assignments. I believe I corrupted my aircraft-specific hid-config.lua file by trying to make changes in LINDA whilst FSX and LINDA were both open. When I selected the PMDG 737NGX in LINDA during this process, the list of airplanes suddenly showed up as garbage text, which in my opinion MIGHT have corrupted the file I was trying to modify. Most of you know that FSX shuts down a bit slowly. Give it time to close out completely, then close LINDA and restart LINDA to make your modifications or changes. This points up the 'value' of having rotating backups of your entire system in general and your FSX MODULES folder in particular.Mr. Crum also told me that the Config-hid.lua file is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EDITED using Linda's EDITOR function. This may well have been what caused the corruption, as I had attempted to EDIT the file manually (which I should NOT have done). Mr. Crum shared that the LINDA editor 'remembers' the last files it had open - so in my case, it kept trying to open a file (config-hid.lua) that it should not have. Simply close any tabs that are open within the LINDA editor and THEN exit the Editor - and then Linda will not 'auto-open' files you were working on previously when it starts up the next time you fly.LINDA has a push-button on the main interface where you can assign functions to the controllers (Joystick / Throttle) to accomplish an amazing variety of FSX commands in general (and in my case, the PMDG 737NGX aircraft in particular). Now that I have this configured properly, I can trigger most of my in-flight MCP interactions directly from my Joystick and Throttle instead of having to click to see a particular place on the VC, then put my mouse arrow on the control, then right or left-click my mouse to change the control value (e.g. "ALTITUDE", "HEADING","SPEED" and so much more. I have the Autobrake settings functioning off the small grey "FLAPS" switch on the left of the throttle, and the large grey lever on the right side controls the actual flaps on the 737NGX - this one I set via FSUIPC- but virtually everything else is set from within LINDA. Imagine being able to deploy the airbrake (SPOILERS) to full flight detent whilst airborne (then retract it when no longer needed), or move the same switch a different direction and arm spoilers for landing, set or change your ALTITUDE rapidly instead of mouse-clicking, switch instantly from CMD A to CMD B, Kill your engines, set or release your parking brake, sound the seatbelt chimes (to signal your crew) turn on VNAV and LNAV and on and on - then imagine DOUBLE this capablility (using GLOBAL SHIFT assignment in LINDA) you can depress a button you have assigned to GLOBAL SHIFT (I use the button on the right-side of my Warthog joystick) and then I have an entire range of "shifted" commands available in LINDA. I use SHIFTED to assign engine kill switches (Engine1 and Engine2 on the PMDG 737NGX) as well as the DC Power kill switch (to turn the aircraft dark). The possiblities are limited only to your own imagination and flight deck requirements.I find it's best to make changes (button assignments) with LINDA open, but everything else CLOSED (especially FSX). Then after completing the assignments (when you want to "TEST" things out), CLOSE LINDA, then Restart FSX (I have LINDA configured to OPEN when FSX starts). What LINDA does that nothing else I've used so far does so well is SHOWS YOU WHAT BUTTON or SWITCH you are manipulating on the controllers. NOTE: Linda does not respond to AXES movements (you use FSUIPC to assign THOSE). When you have a controller such as the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (paired throttle quadrant plus joystick) you NEED help determining what button you are assigning! LINDA greatly helps this process. Push a button and the control NUMBER is instantly highlighted within Linda. Once highlighted (underlined in red) mouse-click on the control and a flyout menu opens with an INCREDIBLE variety of commands you can assign to that control. You can even record keystrokes, I think use macros (which I don't use), use aircraft or fsx-specific commands, and more. You can assign a command when the button or switch is first thrown, then a "repeat" function which occurs whilst that control is depressed or "ON", and yet another when the control is 'released' (or the switch is thrown the opposite way).It's really handy when things are happening really fast and you want to make rapid responses to your aircraft MCP - turning off A/P, turning Landing/Taxi lights on/off, getting the HUGS display out of your way once on the runway - and so much more. The list of possible functions you can assign is mind-boggling, and logically laid out. FSX commands that you thought you could never assign to a controller are EASILY handled, plus (in the case of the PMDG 737NGX) a myriad number of Aircraft Specific commands pertaining to your special third-party airplanes are available (PMDG, iFly, and others) within LINDA!!My enjoyment and flying skills have increased exponentially since I got LINDA - and if you haven't tried it, I would recommend taking a look. I am so impressed with this product that I donated via PayPal - something I only do infrequently when a piece of software is so outstanding I feel it really is "commercially viable" - yet is offered strictly as freeware. The support I have gotten from Mr. Crum in particular and the entire LINDA team was as good as I have ever encountered - and rapid as well. Because you simply unzip Linda (after downloading) and then paste it into your FSX MODULES folder, there is no complicated Install/Uninstall routine.I personally regard LINDA as equal in value and importance to every other add-on I own, including FSUIPC. The fact that this program is 100% free makes it even more compelling.Robert

Edited by rsm

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I am so impressed with this product that I donated via PayPal
Yes and we have recieved it and say many, many thanks!!!!
My enjoyment and flying skills have increased exponentially since I got LINDA
These are very nice words! Thank you very much!!! :(

Guenter Steiner

This issue was RESOLVED by working with Mr. Artem Crum (co-developer) of LINDA. I had to delete the config-hid.lua file that resided in the 737NGX folder of LINDA. Upon restarting the LINDA interface, the configuration file was "blank" and I had to re-assign the various buttons and switches on my Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog controller pair (Throttle and separate Joystick). This worked fine and I no longer get a RED WARNING MESSAGE that Linda was "unable to load" the file (which had become corrupted somehow).KEY TAKEAWAY: If you want to change something on your button assignments via LINDA - take the time to SHUT DOWN FSX first, close LINDA, restart Linda, then make your changes, save them, close Linda and restart FSX to re-test the 'new' assignments.I believe I corrupted my aircraft-specific hid-config.lua file by trying to make changes in LINDA whilst FSX and LINDA were both open. When I selected the PMDG 737NGX in LINDA during this process, the list of airplanes suddenly showed up as garbage text, which in my opinion MIGHT have corrupted the file I was trying to modify. Most of you know that FSX shuts down a bit slowly. Give it time to close out completely, then close LINDA and restart LINDA to make your modifications or changes.This points up the 'value' of having rotating backups of your entire system in general and your FSX MODULES folder in particular.Mr. Crum also told me that the Config-hid.lua file is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EDITED using Linda's EDITOR function. This may well have been what caused the corruption, as I had attempted to EDIT the file manually (which I should NOT have done). Mr. Crum shared that the LINDA editor 'remembers' the last files it had open - so in my case, it kept trying to open a file (config-hid.lua) that it should not have. Simply close any tabs that are open within the LINDA editor and THEN exit the Editor - and then Linda will not 'auto-open' files you were working on previously when it starts up the next time you fly.LINDA has a push-button on the main interface where you can assign functions to the controllers (Joystick / Throttle) to accomplish an amazing variety of FSX commands in general (and in my case, the PMDG 737NGX aircraft in particular). Now that I have this configured properly, I can trigger most of my in-flight MCP interactions directly from my Joystick and Throttle instead of having to click to see a particular place on the VC, then put my mouse arrow on the control, then right or left-click my mouse to change the control value (e.g. "ALTITUDE", "HEADING","SPEED" and so much more. I have the Autobrake settings functioning off the small grey "FLAPS" switch on the left of the throttle, and the large grey lever on the right side controls the actual flaps on the 737NGX - this one I set via FSUIPC- but virtually everything else is set from within LINDA. Imagine being able to deploy the airbrake (SPOILERS) to full flight detent whilst airborne (then retract it when no longer needed), or move the same switch a different direction and arm spoilers for landing, set or change your ALTITUDE rapidly instead of mouse-clicking, switch instantly from CMD A to CMD B, Kill your engines, set or release your parking brake, sound the seatbelt chimes (to signal your crew) turn on VNAV and LNAV and on and on - then imagine DOUBLE this capablility (using GLOBAL SHIFT assignment in LINDA) you can depress a button you have assigned to GLOBAL SHIFT (I use the button on the right-side of my Warthog joystick) and then I have an entire range of "shifted" commands available in LINDA. I use SHIFTED to assign engine kill switches (Engine1 and Engine2 on the PMDG 737NGX) as well as the DC Power kill switch (to turn the aircraft dark). The possiblities are limited only to your own imagination and flight deck requirements.I find it's best to make changes (button assignments) with LINDA open, but everything else CLOSED (especially FSX). Then after completing the assignments (when you want to "TEST" things out), CLOSE LINDA, then Restart FSX (I have LINDA configured to OPEN when FSX starts). What LINDA does that nothing else I've used so far does so well is SHOWS YOU WHAT BUTTON or SWITCH you are manipulating on the controllers. NOTE: Linda does not respond to AXES movements (you use FSUIPC to assign THOSE). When you have a controller such as the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (paired throttle quadrant plus joystick) you NEED help determining what button you are assigning! LINDA greatly helps this process. Push a button and the control NUMBER is instantly highlighted within Linda. Once highlighted (underlined in red) mouse-click on the control and a flyout menu opens with an INCREDIBLE variety of commands you can assign to that control. You can even record keystrokes, I think use macros (which I don't use), use aircraft or fsx-specific commands, and more. You can assign a command when the button or switch is first thrown, then a "repeat" function which occurs whilst that control is depressed or "ON", and yet another when the control is 'released' (or the switch is thrown the opposite way).It's really handy when things are happening really fast and you want to make rapid responses to your aircraft MCP - turning off A/P, turning Landing/Taxi lights on/off, getting the HUGS display out of your way once on the runway - and so much more. The list of possible functions you can assign is mind-boggling, and logically laid out. FSX commands that you thought you could never assign to a controller are EASILY handled, plus (in the case of the PMDG 737NGX) a myriad number of Aircraft Specific commands pertaining to your special third-party airplanes are available (PMDG, iFly, and others) within LINDA!!My enjoyment and flying skills have increased exponentially since I got LINDA - and if you haven't tried it, I would recommend taking a look. I am so impressed with this product that I donated via PayPal - something I only do infrequently when a piece of software is so outstanding I feel it really is "commercially viable" - yet is offered strictly as freeware. The support I have gotten from Mr. Crum in particular and the entire LINDA team was as good as I have ever encountered - and rapid as well. Because you simply unzip Linda (after downloading) and then paste it into your FSX MODULES folder, there is no complicated Install/Uninstall routine.I personally regard LINDA as equal in value and importance to every other add-on I own, including FSUIPC. The fact that this program is 100% free makes it even more compelling.Robert
Here is the Linda main menu screen. Start by selecting your airplane from the drop down menu, then click on which controller you wish to program, then press a button or switch on your controller and then choose an assignment for that button by right-mouse-clicking to open the flyout menu of choices (not shown)4zltdqp0o17t6mqhl284.jpgIn the picture above you can see a variety of assignments, most are PMDG 737NGX-specific (start with "NGX") but some are FSX commands, example #15 Altimeter reset and #21 Parking Brake Toggle. Note these are the assignments I use for my HOTAS Warthog controller pair by Thrustmaster. Note the "SHIFTED" checkbox upper right corner. That effectively doubles your possible button assignments. Also be aware you must select one of your device buttons to be the SHIFT key, it can be a "LOCAL" or "GLOBAL" shifter... Global was my choice, I chose the uppermost right button on the Joystick to globally shift BOTH devices (Joystick and Throttle) and thus I can hold that button down with my right hand whilst flipping switches or pressing other buttons on the THROTTLE with my left hand. If I chose "LOCAL" for that button on the joystick, only the JOYSTICK buttons and switches would be doubled ("Shifted"). How cool is that??In my mind, LINDA is incredible and simple to use. It made my Warthog the control surfaces I'd hoped for (when teamed with FSUIPC to assign axes and turning axes off inside FSX itself).Robert
Yes and we have recieved it and say many, many thanks!!!!These are very nice words! Thank you very much!!! :(
You guys are the best - and it's my hope that you enjoy continued success with LINDA! Edited by rsm

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

to point 1 of your graphics:if you select "FSX sync" nearby (its getting orange then) your addon is always automatically selected.No need to select in manually(every mouse click less is a big gain in livetime :( )to point 2:the controllers needn't to be selected.You have just to press a button and the controller is automatically selected and the pressed button is highlighted!to point 3:we have two shifts here: global shift and local shift.First you have to assign a shift button (other call it "modifyer" or "pinky") with global or local!Global is valid for all devices (normally recommended)Local is just for the device which has the modifyer.Just wanted to add these explainings ...

Guenter Steiner

to point 1 of your graphics:if you select "FSX sync" nearby (its getting orange then) your addon is always automatically selected.No need to select in manually(every mouse click less is a big gain in livetime :( )to point 2:the controllers needn't to be selected.You have just to press a button and the controller is automatically selected and the pressed button is highlighted!to point 3:we have two shifts here: global shift and local shift.First you have to assign a shift button (other call it "modifyer" or "pinky") with global or local!Global is valid for all devices (normally recommended)Local is just for the device which has the modifyer.Just wanted to add these explainings ...
Great job! I especially like being able to permanently select the PMDG 737NGX. Right now it's what I log ALL my hours on...Thanks for the refined explanation!Robert

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg